Subscriptions & Donations ×

J30A Water Pump

hughezee

• Administrators

Thought I would share some important info on water pumps for the J-series engine, remember this a serviceable item and should be replaced regularly 10 years or 100,000 miles unless the coolant has been regularly changed and seen them in perfect health up to 170,000 miles with proof of coolant changes. However, this is something I wouldn't personally like to gamble beyond 100,000 miles, especially as Honda has two versions for the Accord Coupe 3.0 V6  both with the same part number and state the same manufacturer YAMADA, but they aren't? 😶

E--1501.jpg

I have explained many times the differences between the 1998-1999 2000 2001-2002 coupe during production somewhere extra safety devices, comfort upgrades etc. However the biggest revision was the transmission with three versions due to premature failures, same went for the alternators, A.C compressors and condensers too.

20150719-204103-1-8acbf0a30df84b3f1f0973

Anyway a little while ago I ordered both types of water pump and since there wasn't much in it just a different OEM stamp thought nothing more about it until a genuine Honda pump failed prematurely initially I thought I had done something wrong as you do at times of crises. Nevertheless, upon inspection the shaft has play, I raised the concern with the supplying dealer and they passed it on to Honda UK and didn't get any help.😡😡😡 So asked Honda USA and they confirmed there is known batch of faulty pumps still in distribution due to a stocking error that cannot pin all the faulty pumps. So after Honda UK eventually found my order reference Honda USA sent me a replacement FREE of charge, 😁😊

Honda 6 can supply guaranteed correct genuine part and match any UK dealer price and buying from us you are supporting the club.

You have been warned

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Had my cambelt replaced at the Honda dealership I work at, however, because they thought I was supplying the parts they didn't do my water pump when they did cambelt but the tech said it looked in great condition with no sign of leaks etc... So I have left it alone for now, 54k...

From my own experience, I would have replaced the rubber seal/gasket after giving the pump a proper check over to make sure the pump impeller wasn't corroded? Either way, it's good to get some perks with the job 😁 well I assume it was a freebie job and hope not replacing the pump doesn't give to issues with the new belt putting stress on it, anyway hope all is going well with the new job as well m8y. 👍

• Like 3

• Moderators

What Stu just said! ^^^^^

On mine, the timing belt is 8 years/96k miles and the water pump is a service item at 120k (and often go just before this) so it's usually easier to renew the water with the timing belt. Pretty sure similar would apply to the J-Series as well and even if it doesn't, it's good practice to renew the pump at the same time as the belt - many garages won't guarantee the job unless the water pump is also renewed. ;):D

• Like 2

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned