Subscriptions & Donations ×

Door Actuator Repair 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

Lumpy

Quite a basic bit of kit, I've yet to test the motor but it must be the lazy bit, it also shows the switch should be able to be fitted into the carcass without one although loathe to try on a brand new part but who knows. Might make for an interesting project to see if it will work as that switch is fine. The cans must be easy enough to buy I guess but may split this to see what the issue is. I can't remember if there are brushes in these cans or not.

31511711007-9759456654-b.jpg45538692925-362f7866fa-b.jpg

A bit of playing required if I get bored. A lot of effort maybe but hey

32579020088-8bcc9c94cf-b.jpg

• Like 4

• Moderators

That should be fixable without too much trouble, clean, lube, test the motor by applying 12v direct to the connections. I'd strongly suspect the switch, looks to be a standard V10 type microswitch, i'm guessing RS are still at Hedge End so you could nip in on the way home and they should be able to match the switch and supply a replacement for you. Alternatively you might well find they are used in an aerial rotator or similar ;););)

• Like 2

On 12/25/2018 at 8:47 AM, Laird_Scooby said:

That should be fixable without too much trouble, clean, lube, test the motor by applying 12v direct to the connections. I'd strongly suspect the switch, looks to be a standard V10 type microswitch, i'm guessing RS are still at Hedge End so you could nip in on the way home and they should be able to match the switch and supply a replacement for you. Alternatively you might well find they are used in an aerial rotator or similar ;););)

the switch is the bit that still works but I should be able to rebuild that into the new moulding if they have copied the Honda one, an interesting conundrum

• Like 3

Cheap chinese pair have arrived so I should be able to fit the new motor from that into the Honda one and Robert is your mother's brother.  I think the mouldings are perfect replicas and the cans certainly measure the same to simple to build it onto the Honda casing. The alternative would be cutting the 3 slots for the switch pins and building the switch onto the already there plastic pins in the Chinese one, but that's not the best way

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Good luck with it, hopefully sorts your problems. Have to say i'm beginning to wonder about your passenger side actuator as well. ;):D

That one is PERFECT thank you, but I have a spare Chinese one for emergencies, it's just a bit of fun playing around now. It wasn't fun locking the keys in there though

• Like 2

I rebuilt the new motor into the old housing today, they whole thing is identical and interchangeable inside. Even the can is assembled the same way. The contacts are sprung into place. The old motor was intermittent but could be made to run but not reliably.

45686748815-15b01cdb65-b.jpg

new chinese unit side by side with Honda unit. No 3 pin plug contacts.

46600974601-845bc745a7-b.jpg

inside of both units. Honda one on the bottom.

45876776514-f713ac0f87-b.jpg

The underside effectively.

45876772144-19f1611344-b.jpg

the cans

31659961797-1fd5e4aa43-b.jpg

the cans again, Honda one on right

45876765704-ddb34c1017-b.jpg

the new can inserted into the Honda casing.

46600968771-55f3afa511-b.jpg

All back together and tested both ways, sorted. Too cold and getting dark so not going to fit it until tomorrow.

46600975071-d8636858bd-b.jpg

As you can see below, the moulding even has the space and pins for the 3 pin switch. Clevererer these Chinese types.

32726903868-ecc5c6c6c7-b.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

Excellent job !!

Amazing how accurate some of these copies can be, its just usually the quality that lets the side down, then again, I have had some good results doing stuff like this.

Have my fingers crossed for you tomorrow, for fitting .😃

Let us know how it goes .....😎

• Like 2

Just now, PTR200S said:

Excellent job !!

Amazing how accurate some of these copies can be, its just usually the quality that lets the side down, then again, I have had some good results doing stuff like this.

Have my fingers crossed for you tomorrow, for fitting .😃

Let us know how it goes .....😎

as if I wouldn't ☺️ The motor spins happily and will last a while whatever. I will look into the Honda unit to see what has worn.

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

Power windows are a bit slow

Silicone lube spray! Wind the windows down, use the long nozzle in the spray button and direct it into the rubber guide channels. Give it a good, long spray so there is plenty to run down to the bottom of the guide channels.

Let it soak for a minute or two then operate the window up/down a few times to spread the lube around. I usually wind all the windows down then go round in sequence, lubing each one then by the time i've done them all it's time to start doing the up/down on the first window.

If you have enough silicone lube left, spray it liberally onto the door seals, again go round in sequence letting it soak in as you go. Once you've done all of them, wipe off (do NOT polish) the excess from the seals and close the doors. This will prevent the doors freezing to the seals when it gets colder.

Good work on the central locking motor as well! 👍 ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Silicone lube spray! Wind the windows down, use the long nozzle in the spray button and direct it into the rubber guide channels. Give it a good, long spray so there is plenty to run down to the bottom of the guide channels.

What Dave Said 👍

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Let it soak for a minute or two then operate the window up/down a few times to spread the lube around. I usually wind all the windows down then go round in sequence, lubing each one then by the time i've done them all it's time to start doing the up/down on the first window.

If you have enough silicone lube left, spray it liberally onto the door seals, again go round in sequence letting it soak in as you go. Once you've done all of them, wipe off (do NOT polish) the excess from the seals and close the doors. This will prevent the doors freezing to the seals when it gets colder.

Good work on the central locking motor as well! 👍 ;):D

Many thanks. I have silicone spray. I've given the seals a wipe with silicone grease, I do that with all cars I have as standard. ACF 50 in the locks too.

I am starting to really get to like driving this coupe. Lovely and smooth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Brilliant ! Well done ! 

We know where to send the faulty door lock actuators now ! 😅

Happy to do that. A got 2 chinese actuators for 12 quid for goodness sake and used the motor from one of these to fix the Honda one. Amazon do a proper 5 pin actuator for 18 squids too. I'm getting good at swapping them now too.

• Like 3