Subscriptions & Donations ×

Which Engine Oil Honda Legend MK1 Rover 800 C25A C27A Engines

hughezee

• Administrators

As a follow up to past discussions regarding engine oil and the problems with Honda 0W20 p/n: 08232P99K4LHE when used in older engines, which results in oil leaks, high oil consumption and excessive valve train wear and engine noise.

So I have illustrated a few of the most common oils used by myself or recommended by other members, so if you are looking for just a standard oil I would recommend Mobil Super 2000 10W40 or Castrol GTX 10W40 (not Magnatec or Edge). Owners looking for improved fuel economy and performance I would strongly recommend Smith and Allans Ultra 10w-30 Engine Motor Oil.👍  (no other brand of 10W30)

castrol.jpg

mobil.jpg

Ultra 10W-30 5LT.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: the information within this topic has been kindly contributed by one of our experienced members and has been extensively researched and found to be correct by independent testing or external resources.

Regards SITE DEVELOPMENT.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

Hi All, was looking to order a 5L tub (or two) of my usual Gulf Tec 10W40 Semi-synthetic oil from ECP only to find they only seem to stock it in 1L bottles now. Looking at the alternatives, Shell Helix (since Shell changed the Formula of V-power like they did Formula Shell back in the late 80s, i've fallen out with Shell) isn't an option and the others in stock were Triple QX which i've had bad experiences with, making 3 previously fine engines smoky - changed to Gulf and smoke disapeared.

Anyway, a fleabay search brought up this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Mannol-10w40-Semi-Synthetic-Motor-Engine-Oil-5L-DEFENDER-GERMAN-BRAND/133141630867

Has anyone heard of/tried/used/got an opinion on it? Seems good value on the face of it, £12.99 delivered but having been bitten by Triple QX, i don't fancy getting into a similar pit!

A second option is this one :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-10W40-A3-B4-Car-Engine-Motor-Oil-ACEA-A3-B3-12-Semi-Synthetic-5L/143381748753

A bit dearer at £16.69 delivered but at least it's a brand i know - again same questions, anyone know of etc?

Failing that, does anyone have any sensible suggestions for a good, 10W40 semi-synth that isn't a stupid price?

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am currently using Tradetec 10/40 SS premium oil semi synth,.

Using in the V6 in the Elysion and it seems to last well, particularly as Elly does a lot of short journeys , however just changed Elly to magnetec for comparison.

A lot of local trade places use it too, supplied in 20 litre drums usually about 40 to 45 quid inc vat.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've used BRIT OIL ENGINE OIL a few times Shell Helix is packed with additives and as result doesn't stay in grade at operating temperatures like cheaper oils do.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LITRE-10W-40-SEMI-SYNTHETIC-MOTOR-ENGINE-OIL-BRAND-NEW-A3-B3-VW-502-505-00-VW/143387823842?

On 9/28/2019 at 2:18 PM, PTR200S said:

Using in the V6 in the Elysion and it seems to last well

I asume you mean its colour stays clear or golden for longer Pete?

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

I am currently using Tradetec 10/40 SS premium oil semi synth,.

That is my other option at the moment, the local motor factors keep that on the shelf, good to hear it lasts well!

1 hour ago, hughezee said:

I've used BRIT OIL ENGINE OIL a few times Shell Helix is packed with additives and as result doesn't stay in grade at operating temperatures like cheaper oil do

I spotted that on fleabay Stu, hadn't heard of it but good to know it's a reasonably good choice.

Thanks both for the suggestions, bit of thought needed now to decide which to try. As my efforts on both cars have of necessity become patchy lately, i'd rather pay a little more for something that stays in grade a bit longer. That said the Brit Oil looks like a good compromise so will likely be a toss-up between that and the Tradetec.

Shame about the Gulf stuff, that was good goo, only "complaint" about it is it's a bit pongy, not as bad as Castrol GTX but you know it's in the engine! :o

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

I've used BRIT OIL ENGINE OIL a few times Shell Helix is packed with additives and as result doesn't stay in grade at operating temperatures like cheaper oil do.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LITRE-10W-40-SEMI-SYNTHETIC-MOTOR-ENGINE-OIL-BRAND-NEW-A3-B3-VW-502-505-00-VW/143387823842?

I asume you mean its colour stays clear or golden for longer Pete?

Not just the colour but the "texture" after it has been run in the engine for a while....... I know that is subjective but feeling it between your fingers (ooh err) it feels nicer, better, erm, you know what I mean ! 

On the old bikes, long time ago the "feel it" factor was a good guide to the state of the oil !!

I guess we should really get the oil lab tested... noticed there are some test companies that will test for all sorts of contaminants now....the only question is : do you really want to know what is in your oil? bearing shell material, too much of something else, not enough of another ....😭

• Like 3

• Moderators

I decided on the Brit Oil "Optima" offering in the end, just ordered 5L of it. Due to land by the end of the week, hopefully the weekend will be dry and fine and i can get it changed.

Will report back on how it goes, whether there's any immediate improvements or whatever, not sure which car it's going in yet though as i've just remembered the Volvo needs 6L but i have the beginnings os an idea.........

• Like 3

On 9/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Triple QX which i've had bad experiences with, making 3 previously fine engines smoky - changed to Gulf and smoke disapeared.

I didn't know about that.  It's the first bad report I've heard of with triple QX.  I've been using it in my CG4 for years without any problem.  Which cars did you use it in?

• Like 2

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Which cars did you use it in?

My 827 Sterling, 827 Coupe and my Volvo. All three cars developed the same symptoms, smell of burning oil at idle from the exhaust, also on the over-run, the oil got very dirty very quickly (in a known clean engine) and the level dropped rapidly compared to previously.

I bought 4x 5L tubs of it and the first car to have it was my Coupe, just after i converted it to LPG which was why i didn't immediately twig it was the oil that was the problem. As i'd used secondhand kit for the LPG i thought the most likely cause of the smoke was "heavy ends" in the vapouriser. Ttried draining it only to find it was clean.

When LPG gas is produced, stored and dispensed, it contains a small amount of lubricating oil/grease to lube and seal the pumps used for dispensing etc. This is held in suspension due to the pressure of the LPG but drops out of suspension in the vapouriser where the liquid LPG is heated to turn into a vapour suitable for the engine to use.

This lube grease is known as "heavy ends" and is brown in colour and not only looks but smells like a waste product! You can see why it provided a "red herring" for me!

Anyway, all 3 cars became smoky on the Triple QX, cold starting became harder on all 3 and then someone, somewhere mentioned there was (at least one batch) some triple QX that had been made with recycled oil. I think the someone somewhere was in fact Stu on here but i may be wrong.

Anyway, i switched to the Gulf oil and the Coupe stopped smoking. Cold starting started to improve back to where it had been so i changed the oil in both the Volvo and the Sterling. THey stopped smoking and cold starting improved with both of those too.

That's why i won't use Triple QX engine oil anymore.

There is a fourth engine i've tried it in and that became hard to start, was smoky during use and also a lot thirstier. That is my lawnmower. After finding what i found with the cars, i decided to use the 4th remaining tub of Triple QX in the lawnmower. Changed the oil for something else (can't remember what at the moment, it was about a litre left in a tub of something else i had), add some ATF-U to the oil and now it starts first pull (occasionally second pull if i've not used it for a while), doesn't smoke, drinks less petrol etc - in other words back to how it previously was.

Whether it was only a small batch of the Triple QX and i was unlucky because i bought 4 tubs at the same time (they were on BOGOF @ ECP) and you've escaped that because you bought at a different time or what i don't know. I won't be using it again after several years of use with no problems - once bitten, twice shy!

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, welland99 said:

I didn't know about that.  It's the first bad report I've heard of with triple QX. 

I was once an avid user until I discovered they used a large % of recycled oil in most of the QX range and subsequently found plenty of court claims against the brand regarding none disclosure or false manufacturer approvals...

FYI we did discuss it openly but only briefly on another topic.

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
On 10/3/2019 at 3:21 PM, Amjid Zeb said:

What oil should I use for my Honda legend mk1 ka3 

A good quality semi-synthetic 10W40, i always run with between 0.5 - 1.0L of Carlube ATF-U in with the engine oil as well, it improves the hydraulic tappets immensely as well as cleaning the engine internally, reviving the oil seals and generally making life better - fuel economy and power also improve!

Last emissions test on mine was 0.00% CO and 42ppm/HC - as Pete said at the time, "stupidly low" for a 25 year old car! The emissions have improved year on year since i've been adding some ATF to the engine oil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to What oil should I use for my Honda legend mk1
  • Moderators
On 10/1/2019 at 12:29 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

I decided on the Brit Oil "Optima" offering in the end, just ordered 5L of it. Due to land by the end of the week, hopefully the weekend will be dry and fine and i can get it changed.

The oil landed about an hour ago. Strangely the oil i bought (Brit Oil Optima) as suggested by Stu has somehow metamorphesised into Mannol 10W40! :o

Given that i was also considering trying this oil, i don't mind too much but i'm in the middle of sorting other stuff now so have lost whatever good weather i would have had for the oil change today.

It's made my mind up which car to try it in thogh, it's going in the Volvo seeing as the MoT is due soon! Also got to change the ABS ECU on it and do a bit of a wiring change to it as well - long story and will be covered in a big update on my Volvo thread! ;):D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I finally got round to using the Mannol oil today - in the Volvo. It was seriously overdue for an oil/filter change and while doing it i remembered why! The filter is on the left hand bank nestled between the exhaust manifold and PAS pump with about 2" clearance between the end of the filter and chassis rail. Only accessible after removing the air cleaner box and performing self-mutilatory origami on my hand!

Anyway, filter off, oil drained, new filter on and about a pint of ATF-U into the filler followed by 5L of the Mannol gloop.

Started up, sounds quieter and smoother and feels smoother and a bit livelier too. The pong of the Gulf oil has gone too.

Meanwhile when there's a nice dry day, the Sterling is next on the list with Tradetec 10W40 Semi-Synth - then i'll recheck the Volvo oil level and top up with whatever is left if necessary - the Sterling will get 0.5L ATF-U and 4L of Tradetec which is the right amount. The Volvo is 6L originally but that includes the oil cooler (dread to think how tight the filter would be with an oil cooler between it and the block!) so is probably close to being right at the moment with 5.55L in there.

Will give my report of initial findings on the Tradetec soon and as time goes by, a longer term report on both. ;):D

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Which Engine Oil Honda Legend MK1 Rover 800 C25A C27A Engines
  • The topic was pinned
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Six months on now with the Mannol in the Volvo, not impressed! :o

Last time i checked it, the level was ok about 6-8 weeks ago. Imagine my surprise as i pulled out from my parking space the other day to hear some valvetrain clatter - even the pooch pricked her ears up and looked towards the engine!

Checked the oil level after walkies before starting up, below minimum! :o

Enough in there to get home but what was in there was dirty and didn't feel right. Topped up with the litre of Tradetec i had left and next day, normal service was resumed, no valve clatter, nice and smooth and quiet from the off.

Next oil change the Volvo gets (sometime soon) will be Tradetec 10W40 (maybe 15W40) and see how that goes.

• Sad 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Next oil change the Volvo gets (sometime soon) will be Tradetec 10W40 (maybe 15W40) and see how that goes.

Yep, changed my oil back to Tradetec 10/40 from Magnatec in the Elysion.....doesn't like it AND it used oil too, just like your Mannol

• Sad 3

• 6 months later...

Nuts definitely she's was just holding back because she's your partner lol that's a whole lot of liters lol tbh I've just ordered 10 filters so hmmm i might be picking up on the honda horder syndrome 😂😊

PTR YOUR A CRAZY GUY lol H.H.S better not be buying all the national stock too 

• Haha 4