Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Thermostat 1994-2000 RA Honda Shuttle/ Odyssey 2.2 2.3i

• Administrators

Only yesterday I got the unmistakable whiff of coolant from our Odyssey RA6, coolant level had dropped a few millimetres since had replaced it a second time during ownership, checked the mixture all good once cooled thought nothing more of it.? Then the had to nip out on an errand, temp gauge behaved, then getting out of the car got another smell of coolant. This time checked while all was still hot and the upper hose was normal however the lower hose was stone cold and the pipe under pressure.? Then it clicked the thermostat must be stuck and with the A.C on 24/7 obviously was masking any obvious symptoms with the fans being on more or less all the time? Anyway, Part(s) promptly ordered this morning and fitted in good time and just sitting for 20mins whilst burping the cooling system both hoses piping hot and A.C running allot colder as result of the heat not being held next to the condenser.

20180501-095329.jpg20180501-095323.jpg

Drained a little coolant first, didn't help much still peed out everywhere.?

20180501-100731.jpg20180501-095930.jpg

Old thermostat out and stamped Japan with a manufacturer date 2000, so not done bad.

20180501-095937.jpg

Thought what the hell, fit a new fan switch while I was at it as I had my suspicions it was getting lazy... 

20180501-101109.jpg20180501-102518.jpg

Motor running sweet as a nut with greatly reduced valve noise too from semi-cold, any questions just ask folks.

• Like 2

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Close call there ! Well spotted!

Although i wouldn't expect anything less from your good self ?

I had already replaced the one on the Accord as it was always hotter than I liked and MPG went up a little afterwards...?

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, welland99 said:

So, een though the thermostat was stuck, it must have been open just enough to prevent overheating. lucky, that!

Something i've found over the years is that Honda tend to fit different 'stats according to which market the cars are going to. For example, on the C27 engines destined for the Rover UK market, they fitted 78C 'stats but elsewhere they had 82C or even 88C 'stats.

As the threshold for torque converter lock-up is 74C (if memory serves correctly) this doesn't give much margin for error with a weak 'stat. That's why when i've replaced the 'stats in my 827s i've fitted the 'stat from an 89-95 Civic/Concerto 1.6 aka Rover 216/416 which is usually 88C and sometimes 82C but i've gone for the 88C version.

This has rewarded me with faster warm-up, a better heater, improved economy and no more torque converter lock-up dropping out unexpectedly.

I discovered this strange foible when i had my last Accord Coupé and the T/C lock-up disappeared except just after being stuck in traffic. New 'stat cured it.

The point of all this is that it's entirely possible, probable even, that Stus Odyssey came from a country where a hotter 'stat was fitted as standard or maybe someone else had similar knowledge about the hotter 'stats and fitted one. Who knows?

Either way it sounds like Stu is a happier bunny now and good spot on the fan switch Stu! ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Jam, than, more, Hartleys! Rearrange into a sensible sentence! ;):lol:

Definitely a good call on replacing the 'stat and a testament to how good Honda cooling systems are to start with! No wonder it was running hotter than you were happy with - daresay it probably does open above 100C but i'm guessing you did the time-honoured "dangle it in a pan of boiling water" test but a lucky result anyway! ;):D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...