Subscriptions & Donations ×

Cloudy Auto-Dimming Mirrors KB1 Honda Legend 3.5 V6

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Lennie Legend has these fancy auto dimming mirrors (rear view and side mirrors) which I actually like as they do cut down the glare.  I’ve been looking on You Tube on how they work etc and sorcery is afoot again.

My rear view and drivers mirrors are fine.  However, the passenger side (about a third of it) is not clear.  From what I can make out, there are two pieces of glass, the rear one is obviously a mirror.  In between the two sheets witchcraft happens.  My simple brain is telling me that the blurry bit is where the two pieces have been compromised somehow affecting the “stuff” sandwiched between them.

Do I need a new mirror or is there a secret fix?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Founding Member

Thought so Stu, trouble is if it gets any darker then surely it’s an MOT failure or at least an advisory.  Perhaps the answer is to remove the glass and just have normal clear glass as I suspect the price (even second hand) is in the hundreds?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators

Not knowing exactly how the Honda ones are put together Geoff i'll consult my old memory cells for some electronic witchcraft ideas. :P

In simple terms, the back half is the heated mirror, plain and simple. The front half is a clear LCD display, a bit like a digital watch but one large display segment rather than the small individual ones to create numbers etc.

It's a long time since i played with LCDs so i can't remember exactly how to vary the contrast but in effect you're simply making the dark bits darker - the clear bits remain clear. Anyway, the "segment" is dimly "lit" (i.e. it goes dark but as it's only "dimly lit" not very dark) which gives the dimming effect.

Now to continue the explanation, we move to windscreen technology - laminated windscreens to be exact. Two sheets of glass with a polymer bond between the two providing the lamination.

I'm sure you've seen an old windscreen that has started to "delaminate" and it has a cloudy patch on it, usually at the edge or around a stone chip or similar. Sometimes on a really old screen, the entire screen goes slightly opaque because the suns UV rays have altered the clarity of the polymer used as the laminate bond.

I'm sure you don't need to look in a mirror to see where this is going!

With windscreens the answer is a new screen, i don't know if Stu knows a dodge such as warming the mirror glass up to maybe reflow the polymer, if not i'd suggest a replacement mirror glass.

Meanwhile i'm going to have a trawl of fleabay to see if the dimming panels are available................. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

http://www.maxlen.co.uk/lc glass.htm

Have a look at that Geoff!

In the USA, they have smart tint film, clear until you hit the switch then goes "dim", available in a range of colours.

https://www.glass-apps.com/products/smart-film/

If they sold panels small enough and able to use on 12V (they do but no idea on the site how much they are) that would be a nice retro-fit upgrade or a cost-effective repair. ;):D

• Moderators

Getting warmer :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A5-148x210mm-Smart-Film-Starter-Electrochromic-PDLC-Switchable-Glass-Film/172843743609?hash=item283e4a3979:g:jiUAAOSwhIFZpc43

s-l400.jpg

That's a white version, apparently they do other colours, no clue if it can be trimmed or not - if it can and a normal mirro glass is avaliable then you're nearly home and dry! ;):D

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 2008 Legend KB1 Cloudy Auto-Dimming Mirrors?
  • 1 year later...
  • Site Subscriber’s
On 2/8/2018 at 10:15 PM, hughezee said:

Not cheap £210.59 each passenger side part number: 76263SJAG01 (R1400ASP)

Stu, how much are these now? And being USA, are ALL the glasses etched " objects in the rear view mirror may appear smaller" ......... etc. Do you know?

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, RevvinKevin said:

" objects in the rear view mirror may appear smaller"

Sssshhhhhh! Don't tell the missus it's not true! :P

Joking aside, i think that inscription is now more or less universal, i've seen many newer cars with door mirrors bearing that inscription.

• Like 1