Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe Wiper Blade Arm Repainted.

Mangoman

Decided to touch-up the Wiper Arms as they were badly discoloured, especially the Passenger one!

Just rubbed them down slightly and sprayed them with some Satin Black Acrylic.

Also suctioned out the Washer Reservoir. The Suction Pump worked a treat! Then flushed it a few times until the water coming out was clear.

Then just topped it up with some Prestone that you can mix up to 19:1 in Summer, 9:1 in Spring/Autumn and neat in severe Winter. I mixed it 5:1 :D

Here are some preliminary photo's. I'll post some more after I have ref-fitted the Wiper Arms tomorrow. Like to give them 24 hours to dry nice and hard before I handle them.

PTIFTBv.jpg

zlWN3lJ.jpg

yk79ZjP.jpg

N7OpVZ5.jpg

lGSxsx5.jpg

y2kLcEV.jpg

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Thanks Stu.

It had been bugging me from the first day I got the car! :)

I'm not surprised! I noticed the other day after you waxed it in the rain (photos above) and to be honest was very surprised you hadn't done anything about them then.

Looking forward to the pics when they are refitted! ;):D

• Like 1

Thanks Dave....

I take it then that this is a common thing to happen to the Wiper Arms on the Coupe?

The reason for the delay was waiting for ECP to get some Satin in stock. Not going to pay other places prices when at ECP it is 3 quid odd! And delivered for free! ;)

• Moderators

I'm not sure what it is Bill but i've never seen a rusty wiper arm, even when the paint has gone. I suspect it's a bright nickel plate which is then sprayed satin black so as not to dazzle other road users in sunlight. The paint flakes off because there's no primer and the surface is so smooth underneath.

It does give me a few ideas though, i'm looking at electroplating a few bits at the moment, whether it will happen or not is another matter but the list of possible items seems to grow on a daily basis! Either for restoration, renovation, improvement or simply protection it is looking more like a viable idea as the original thought was just for one item. Now with a growing list it could be well worthwhile! ;):D

• Like 1

Replaced the Wipers today - this finish is quite good as far as I can tell.

I think the Arms are made of some sort of Aluminium Alloy going by the look of what's under the paint.

I also changed the 21" on the passenger side for a 20" as I had noticed that at the top of the sweet it was more or less and inch higher than the sweep of the driver's side. Not to mention the last inch or so wasn't coming into contact with the screen at rest anyway. :(

I'm afraid it is really dark here today so the photo's are not the best - also the car is dirty!

But an improvement I have to say. :D

qvjUa1A.jpg

8NnjTq2.jpg

This was the really bad one!

zlWN3lJ.jpg

TfCslAK.jpg

OQfbJaj.jpg?1

QcBQLCX.jpg

swp0RgM.jpg

Thanks for all the previous positive comments - always appreciated. ;)

Thank you Ahsy and Dave... :)

No, they are not new, But I am glad they look that way(ish).

Although it wouldn't be the first time I have done that! 

On my MR2 when I got it had terrible Wiper Arms with like the old American Fitting whereby a Pin protruded from the Wiper Blade and slotted into the Arm. You could lift the Arm with a cigarette paper the springs were so weak. And anything over 20mph they just used to lift of the Screen - useless!

You can just about make them out in this photo:

DP5x7yQ.jpg

And the New ones with the ever-present Bosch "LADA" Blades. :D:

Gix8lhx.jpg

NB: The new Wiper Arms were £80.00 from Toyota.

• Moderators

That was a definite improvement as well Bill - someone has swiped your engine and left a yellow thing in it's place though.................. :o

There's a little yellow eyesore to the north of crankshaft central..... ;):D

(Apologies to J Milton Hayes for the bare-faced plagiarism)

https://allpoetry.com/The-Green-Eye-Of-The-Little-Yellow-God

• Like 1