Subscriptions & Donations ×

Clock Light/ Blown Bulb 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

PTR200S

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Just been looking at the dash removal thread to see how the clock unit comes out so i can fix the light.

Are there no screws holding it in ?

It just appears to be levered out in the pics ? 

Yes it's just the typical Honda fit very snug ;)

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 2001 Accord Coupe Clock Light
  • Moderators

I failed to get a lamp for the clock, locally, so I have ordered the ebygum led ones, will report back on fitment and light output. Two for three quid delivered is cheaper than Honda but are they any good? We will see.;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Which LEDs did you buy Pete?

Sent for these, hopefully a very nice posty will bring them soon. Hope it doesn't take as long as my Poorboys lotions:(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-White-T3-Neo-Wedge-1-SMD-LED-Bulbs-Cluster-Instrument-Dash-Control-Lights-12V-/152204726549?hash=item23701bd115:g:gygAAOSwYIxYA2t3

• Like 2

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Sent for these, hopefully a very nice posty will bring them soon. Hope it doesn't take as long as my Poorboys lotions:(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-White-T3-Neo-Wedge-1-SMD-LED-Bulbs-Cluster-Instrument-Dash-Control-Lights-12V-/152204726549?hash=item23701bd115:g:gygAAOSwYIxYA2t3

Look forward to your verdict on these. I've always heard that LEDs don't give an equal spread of light and can produce a hotspot in some applications such as dash lighting. 

Have you used the Poorboys yet? 

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, AhsyV6 said:

Look forward to your verdict on these. I've always heard that LEDs don't give an equal spread of light and can produce a hotspot in some applications such as dash lighting. 

That's why i asked Ahsy - those should give a good spread of light though. I haven't gone into the spec on them but they look at first glance as what is known as a "5050" chip which has three LEDs built in, giving a bright but well spread area of light. There are similar looking ones called 3528s which only have 1 or 2 LEDs in them - however they still give a good output and spread of light. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to get stuck into coupe for past week so the big stuff like poorboys is on hold..really wanted to get gearbox oil changes started but even that might not happen this next week. :(

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That's why i asked Ahsy - those should give a good spread of light though. I haven't gone into the spec on them but they look at first glance as what is known as a "5050" chip which has three LEDs built in, giving a bright but well spread area of light. There are similar looking ones called 3528s which only have 1 or 2 LEDs in them - however they still give a good output and spread of light. ;):D

These are the 3528 versions but as we are only talking about illuminating the clock I am hoping they will be ok. Will report back with pics if possible :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Led lamps arrived today so appropriate to post a few pics although need to wait until its dark to check it (pics to follow) out installed in the clock..the led is not that bright when bench tested so bit concerned about its effectiveness.

Removal

HbFT8DM.jpg

Rt3zCSd.jpg

Here is the lamp holder, that small round bit!

ojVppEE.jpg

Want know how small lamps are? check this out! Led on the left, original on the right...

GPrLhdB.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

In a spectacular bout of failure installing the tiny lamp into the clock I have given up.:(

I checked the new led on bench, all ok,,,installed and it failed to light up...ok, so turn it around to opposite terminals as in standard led lamp install practice :rolleyes:

Still no light....

Went and checked old lamp which was still on the bench...dead...took meter to car and checked terminals...dead....arrggghhh.

Looks like the clock light unit is faulty too, although the actual readout is still running.

Gonna have to do without, no biggy really, just disappointing,,,,it doesnt have a light sensor too by any chance? :P

• Like 2

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, hughezee said:

That is frustrating I would offer you another clock unit as I have a couple of them but sadly all pre-2000 and they won't be compatible, they are wired differently and can damage the multiplexer unit ;)

I appreciate the thought,  thanks, .....

i did wonder if the light for the clock would always be on via the ignition rather than coming on with the light switch? I should have tested for that. :rolleyes:

Definitely the switch?

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

20180724-231642.jpg

Yep finally sorted my clock illumination out last night, the second pic was with the ignition on not the lights as the first pic, hence why the hazard light button or climate buttons weren't showing. ?

20180724-232704.jpg

Still, have the lower button(s) illumination to sort out although they did work up until recently ? I don't mind the little jobs though... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would throw my ten penny worth into this thread, however historic it has become.

The clock never illuminated in my first Coupe and I made no attempt to rectify it. So I was not surprised when it didn't work in my current model.

Inspired by the wisdom of these pages I confidently removed the clock (without losing the spring that shot out from the hazard switch multiplug)  and  inspected the bulb with a X9 magnifying glass !

The filament looks fine so I will have to move on to a bench test .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

I assume that your clock has some power coming off the bulb holder?

If so you can have one of the led I bought and , obviously, never used ?  presuming of course that it is the same?   

As Stu says , the clock changed in 2000... mine is reg 2001 but probably is MY2000

• Like 1

• Moderators

Can anyone confirm that the clock light comes on with the light switch EVEN if the ignition is off?

Just thinking about it as Jon has raised the clock issue again would the sidelights, without ignition, actually turn the dash clock light on?  

• Like 1

Sadly I have no definitive answers yet as my meter is not here at the moment. What I have done for a very modest outlay is ordered "grain of wheat" bulbs from a model railway supplier. I plan to use the old bulb's  plastic housing as a holder. They come in all colours 3mms diameter and are 12volt. The postage greatly exceeds their 70 pence price tag. 

Will let you know how I get on

• Like 2

• Moderators

"Grain of Wheat" bulbs were a popular choice by OEMs because they were cheap and easy to fit to the holders - wires through the holes, wrap round the pre-formed holder, snip off the exc ess wire, job done!

As such they are the perfect replacement for doing a "like for like" replacement.

However, given the fact that these days LEDs have a much longer service life and are available in a choice of colours, they are now the upgrade/replacement of choice for most people.

They also provide much less load on the electrical system. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

I recently compared a few clocks and noticed there are three different versions when I went to swap my complete clock recently, but it was just the bulb thankfully. So when I get some time I will compare the differences and for reference, the clock light only comes on with the ignition on (position 2) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1