Subscriptions & Donations ×

Instrument Cluster Removal 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Founding Member

Great video Stu.  As you know, I've had my cluster out numerous times and I suspect I could do it now blindfolded.  Remember the forest of leaves behind Bluey's cluster?  God knows how they got in there?  :blink:

GEOFF'S TIP TOP TIP.  The bulbs have weird voltages and can be hard to source.  I have found that standard 501 bulbs are perfectly adequate for lighting up the low fuel light, etc.  On the reverse of the cluster you will see four larger white bulb fittings, these are where the 501 bulbs go.  Granted they may not last as long and genuine Honda bulbs but they're dead cheap and the cluster is relatively easy to remove, it makes sense.

Beep Beep. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great view of your elbow!:D

But seriously,  thanks.  I have a radio upgrade to fit sometime, and it has Bluetooth phone connection. I had been wondering how to thread the microphone wire through the side of the instrument cluster, as I want to stick it on the left hand side, in front of the rev counter.  

After removing the plastic surround, is there a gap through which I could thread the microphone wire, without actually removing the whole cluster? 

• Administrators

Yeah sorry about the elbow thing :lol: sounds a great addition to your coupe, you should be able to route the wire behind the binnacle surround. Although I would recommend removing the four screws on the cluster as this should allow you to lift it up enough to tuck any wires behind it without unplugging it ;)

• Like 1

On 28/02/2017 at 10:45 PM, hughezee said:

Yeah sorry about the elbow thing :lol: sounds a great addition to your coupe, you should be able to route the wire behind the binnacle surround. Although I would recommend removing the four screws on the cluster as this should allow you to lift it up enough to tuck any wires behind it without unplugging it ;)

OK, Thanks.  The old one and the new one are both Pioneer, so I'm hopeful that it will be quick to swap them over without having to change the wires. 

• 4 weeks later...

I swapped the radio at the weekend☺.

I tried to remove the instrument cluster trim in order to route the microphone wire, but I could not not manage it.  After I removed the two screws from the top of the cluster trim,  I could not budget the clips that hold it at the bottom.  I felt like I was on the verge of breaking the cluster surround,  so gave up before I caused irreversible damage.   In the end, I routed the wire through the gap where the steering column goes. That is very discrete.   

• Like 2

• Founding Member
On 04/04/2017 at 0:09 AM, welland99 said:

I swapped the radio at the weekend☺.

I tried to remove the instrument cluster trim in order to route the microphone wire, but I could not not manage it.  After I removed the two screws from the top of the cluster trim,  I could not budget the clips that hold it at the bottom.  I felt like I was on the verge of breaking the cluster surround,  so gave up before I caused irreversible damage.   In the end, I routed the wire through the gap where the steering column goes. That is very discrete.   

Just as a suggestion.....I routed my microphone cable up the A-Pillar and the mic now sits near the sun visor.....the only issue now and then is the visor hits the mic when used which isn't an issue for me really. Very clean installationIMG_6939.thumb.PNG.1d326b461e6e65c45af76c65c8a6327b.PNG

• Like 4