Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe Cluster Colour Change....

Mangoman

• The title was changed to 98-02 Accord Coupe Cluster Colour Change....

Ah, OK.

I like what you have done there, but I was just thinking of changing the Background Colour, ie the colour of the Bulbs...??

Because in other threads I see the Bulbs are just plain clear ones. But are they the same for the Centre Console?

I was thinking red.

• Moderators

A great way of giving your car that final custom touch is LED colour coding in the switches and instruments Bill. I've done several cars now :

DSC_0031.jpg

photobucket-74781-1381152751993.jpg

photobucket-47476-1365383059626.jpg

photobucket-7857-1341267025246.jpg

Most of the were as simple as changing the bulbs for LED versions in my chosen colour. However i know there are some oddball bulbs in the Accord V6 - Stu and i were going to work together to find the right bulbs at one point to put a kit together or at least a list for the coupé but with one thing and another it hasn't happened yet. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'll put together an ebay shopping list of the generic ones that should fit the majority of what you'll need Bill, if Stu would be kind enough to post the "unique to Accord" bulbs i can either find an equivalent or a way to make them.

The good thing about LEDs besides being virtually unlimited lifetime is that they take a lot less current than filament bulbs generally. That means that delicate electronic control boxes that power some of them won't get burned out by having too much current draw. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

As promised Bill, a list :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-Wedge-COB-LED-1W-501-W5W-Car-Wedge-Dashboard-Side-Interior-Door-Number-Light-/262481860658?var=&hash=item3d1d235832:m:m36uNpcvb6GlO9Cma79BgJg

To replace the 501/T10/main illumination bulbs in the instruments. ^^^^^ For the smaller 286/T5 bulbs, these are good :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-4-6-10x-T5-286-Wedge-Light-Bulbs-non-canbus-5050-SMD-LED-Dash-Clocks-12v-Car-/261680298379?var=&hash=item3ced5c798b:m:m0Ds8uI1CUR0q2JpKDCEglg

Some switches and dashboard holes won't take them so these work well instead :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-T5-286-BLUE-LED-CAR-INTERIOR-DASH-CLOCKS-WEDGE-LIGHT-BULB-12V-FREE-DELIVERY-/161740133775?hash=item25a876958f:g:ZC8AAOSwPhdVPhyg

Same seller has other colours too.

There's a few options for the 286T type as well, those are the ones where the holder is integral with the LED or should that be the LED is integral with the holder - you know the ones i mean anyway.

The LEDs i've listed are those which i've found work the best and have kept working. There is another option for the T10 size that works well in the side repeaters and this is them :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-10x-T10-194-501-W5W-COB-8-SMD-Silicone-LED-Car-Interior-Side-Number-Light-Bulb-/262360410342?var=&hash=item3d15e628e6:m:mYd5OrW32gp7_blvTmYsYEg

I've not tried them in the instruments, the COB (Chip On Board) LEDs in the first link have worked very well so i haven't wanted to mess with something that works. Hopefully that should give you something to get your teeth into! Any problems feel free to give me a shout. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Just to add to Dave's great suggestions :)

The already suggested T10 LED bulbs will give you the different colour you're after, they should just replace the existing bulbs in the holder that light up your speedo and gauges etc, although for the mileage backlight I would suggest T5 neo wedge. Also, some more T5 neo wedges in white for the pre-colored lenses in the brake light, cruise control, high beams, engine management displays and side airbag light if you have them? Not forgetting a few T3 (neo wedge) is a direct swap to light up your clock and gear selection and again, I would recommend white light in these as well, hope that helps ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Aaaaahhh - going for the warning lights too? Unlike Stu i would definitely not recommend using white LEDs in the warning lights but the closest available LED colour to the warning light.

For example, high beam is blue, use a blue LED, handbrake is red, red LED. There are several reasons for this, one is that as the LED light is so pure, white against a coloured lens tends to highlight imperfections in said lens and if there are any particularly light spots, the light from the LED will find them and escape through them straight into your eyeballs - this can be particularly distracting at night when it's the full beam tell-tale light that it's escaping from! Change it to blue and it's much easier to cope with!

How do i know this? On the Volvo 740 (as shown above in both blue and green) the main beam tell-tale has a pale square in the middle of it to give an increased visibility, especially with the standard filament bulb. Using a white LED behind this gives an incredibly bright square spot that is hard to ignore when driving at night. Change it for a blue one and it's much easier to cope with.

Also bear in mind the field of illumination is smaller (more directional) with an LED than a filament bulb and the LED tends to give a higher Lumen output and you start to realise why this happens. The other good part about using LEDs the same colour as the warning light is it gives a richer, deeper colour to the warning light. Happily this also applies to rear lights as well :

IMG_20160728_193712010.jpg

IMG_20160728_194221889.jpg

First pic, standard filament bulbs, second pic one side replaced with red LED bulbs. At night the difference is even more obvious but i don't have any "before and after" night time ones. :(

Just noticed in the second pic the door is open and shows a white LED behind a red lens - notie the "pinky" looking colour in the middle where the LED bulb is! Yes i plan to change them for red LED versions when i find some! :D

Something worth thinking about maybe? ;):D

• Like 1

Hi.

Thanks for the info & links as above. Much appreciated.

But looking at them they do not have in stock Red, which is my preferred colour choice :(

Also all I really want to do is change the background colour from what I consider a pretty dull 'Off-Lemon' colour....:)

But I have ordered, previous to this discussion, some Red 501's for the Door Lights. I've always noted and seen that these are Red. As on your Rover Dave.

• Moderators

They have this style of 501/T10 in red Bill :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-10x-T10-194-501-W5W-COB-8-SMD-Silicone-LED-Car-Interior-Side-Number-Light-Bulb-/262360410342?var=&hash=item3d15e628e6:m:mYd5OrW32gp7_blvTmYsYEg

As previously mentioned i've not tried them in instruments yet, only as side repeaters.

The door lights on mine are in fact 239s which is why i still have white LEDs in them, hence the bleaching/pinkness of them. ;):D

The Door Lights on the Coupe are White, a White Lens and a Normal 501 for illumination. Of course you cannot get a Red Lens so I just plan to replace the standard 501 with a Red one.

I realise the idea of them being white is to illuminate the ground when you open the door, but I still prefer it to be red.... ;)

And as far as the Dash goes I'm only really interested in changing the Illumination of the Main Instrument Binnacle.

Which I presume are the 5 big White Fittings? (See below):

wEIe8QV.jpg

• Moderators

Certainly looks like those are the ones to change Bill, not sure about the black one with the wires coming from it, that might be your SRS warning light. My last Accord coupé was about 12 years ago and i was married at the time and didn't have as much time to do upgrades/modifications and don't think i ever needed to change any bulbs in it anyway. Also it was the previous gen model so had different bits and pieces here and there.

That aside, if you have clear lenses in your puddle lamps and want red, get me the measurements and i'll check to see if the Rover ones are the same size. If so i'm fairly sure i have a couple of spare red lenses somewhere. ;):D

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Aaaaahhh - going for the warning lights too? Unlike Stu i would definitely not recommend using white LEDs in the warning lights but the closest available LED colour to the warning light.

That was the third attempt at replying to the thread and it read better the first time :lol: the cluster has coloured lenses rather than the bulb itself, that's why I suggested white light as the coloured bulbs could look odd or even dull compared each other ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

No worries Stu, another part of the reason i suggested colour-coded LEDs for the warning lights is there's less discrepancy in brightness that way as well. The heat from the OE filament bulbs can cause the bleaching effect i was on about which is more obvious with white LEDs - again this is because LEDs have more pure light than filament bulbs which tend to be a cross between yellow and white in the colour temperature scale in any case.

The way i found this out was by fitting white LEDs in the warning light positions with the coloured lenses :rolleyes:;):D

• Like 1