Subscriptions & Donations ×

CG4 exhaust

welland99

MOT is due on my CG4 on 30/11and I've noticed a blow in the exhaust.  :o.  The hole is on the joint where the rear silencer attaches and it is large enough to put the tip of my finger right inside:(.  It hasn't been in to the garage for examination yet, so I don't know if it can be repaired or if replacement will be necessary.

The last time I had an exhaust problem (couple of years ago), my mechanic welded a repair on the middle pipe, and he told me that if any part of the exhaust needed replacement in the future, he would not be able to separate the joints - thus I'd need to replace the whole system. 

In anticipation of needing replacement, I've been looking around to see what's available.......

Some suppliers cannot obtain an exhaust for the CG4 (eg timex, now Clarius, can't do one).  But one factor I've tried can supply from a manufacturer named Euro flow.  http://www.euroflo.co.uk/Catalogue/Honda/Accord/EuroFlo Exhaust Systems.aspx

I've been quoted prices as follows: 

• Rear silencer EXHA6054 £60 inc VAT
  • Middle pipe EXHA3071 £65 + VAT
  • CAT ECHA 5039 £120 (not sure if VAT included)

I didn't ask for a price for the front pipe - for some reason, I hoped that it might not need replacing.  Interestingly, I see that they show a different front pipe for the manual and auto tranny, but the diagrams look the same.  I wonder what the difference is?

Does anybody have any experience of euroflow exhausts?  Are they a good fit, and long lasting?  Are these prices reasonable?

Are there any others out there I could consider?  Or, anybody got any good second hand ones available?

Just for a laugh, I rang my nearest Honda dealer for a quote.  It wasn't very funny when I fell off my chair (damn, there's a clue!).  Would anybody feel brave enough to hazard a guess to the prices from Honda?

• Founding Member

I had the joint between my back box and Y splitter go before my mot as well as the flange had rotted out so it wasnt being kept together.

i made a new clamp from some cheap exhaust U clamps and some flat ally bar, clamps either side of the joint and drill the flat bar so it acts as a clamp bar between the clamps either side of the exhaust, fixed by the nuts that hold the clamp on the exhaust pipe. Liberal amounts of gungum applied to the joint faces and smoothed round the top of the joint. Works well as it hasnt blown since ive "fixed" it.

I do miss the V6 burble it had though, the joint only opened up when I was attempting  to make rapid progress.  I belive Bently owners pay thousands for a similar system!

I'll try and get a pic when I get home, as most of my post makes no sense and I know what it looks like!

• Administrators

Personally I wouldn't buy another euroflow exhaust, they are a good fitments (sometimes) and look a decent well made parts on the surface :huh: they just never seemed to last long :rolleyes: 3 years or 30k they are completely rotten in my experience.:mellow: Also depends how much longer you want to keep the car :unsure: either way the bosal exhausts (if available) are worth the extra few quid in my opinion, failing that I wouldn't hesitate to go genuine (with discount) less hassle long term ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Aside from the fact you can't buy another Euroflo exhaust (not for anything we all run anyway!), the Bosal ones i've been quoted for mine run out about 5 times the price of a Euroflo!

Granted they last longer but then comes a fresh set of problems when replacing - seized nuts, bolts etc especially for the downpipes and paralytic perverter. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to replace a cheap one more often than an expensive one just once in a time period.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a strong advocate of "you buy cheap, you pay dear (or twice)" but sometimes there's an exception that proves the rule, maybe this is it?

Genuine is the way to go if you can get it and can afford it, failing that i think i'll be looking at a custom made stainless jobby for whatever exhaust i need next. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

The catalogue might still show it but i've found a lot lately (admittedly not Honda but other makes) where their catalogue shows they make it but there is no longer any stock. For example, i think i fitted the last Euroflo Rover 827 back box on my Sterling and the penultimate one to my coupé - they were still listing it as available though!

I thought that it might be time to let you know the prices I was quoted from a Honda dealer:

rear silencer:  £157 + vat

middle pipe:  £144 + vat

cat:  £833 + vat

heatshields for cat £116 + vat

I just had a look in the online bosal catalogue, but could find nothing listed for a CG2 or CG4.