Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Coupe Owner from the Midlands - Sorry for the long first post

abz2005

• Moderators

It sounds like the age old problem of lack of use or someone using washing up liquid in the washer bottle. Either way the chances are the pump has seized up or there's a bad earth on it. Bear in mind the normal screen wash pump is only little with a small amount of pressure and the headlamp pump is several times bigger with a lot of pressure, it needs much more current to operate it. This means if there is a dodgy earth, it might be good enough to pass the small amount of current for the screen pump but not for the headlight pump.

The front bumper needs to come off to get to the reservoir and pumps and then you should be able to see more of what is happening. If you get a bucket or bowl you can pull the headlight pump out of the washer bottle (usually they sit in a rubber grommet which not only seals but holds them in) and have a look inside the inlet to it. There's a chance you'll be able to see the impeller and if so, using a small screwdriver, may be able to turn it to prove whether it's seized or not. If it's not seized but is reluctant to turn, you can try some WD40 inside it and if you can see where the pump motor bearings are, those as well. Reconnect the electrical connector and try it. If it still doesn't run, get an assistant to press the button inside while you "persuade" it to turn with the screwdriver. In practice that means giving it a nudge and getting the screwdriver out quick!

Hopefully that should get you going, if not there's a few other things to try but that's the most common fix.

1 hour ago, abz2005 said:

the headlight washers, when I press the button I can hear a click from behind the dash but no water comes through the washer jets, the bottle is topped up and the windscreen washers work fine, I've checked the fuses and they seem ok, does anyone know what I can try next?

A bucket and sponge! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one! :D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Basically what Dave said ;) its a pretty common age related niggle very likely the seal inside the pump has failed and corrosion has seized it up from what I've seen and replacing it might be the best option :huh:

• Like 2