Subscriptions & Donations ×

The Purple Peril

CharlesM

• Moderators

Youre welcome.

I was looking at an air one as well. On the ones i was looking at the spindle speed was very high (about 12000rpm) and i was concerned it could burnish rather than polish the paintwork.

If you do happen to get any recommendations for an air one (preferably one that will work off a small-ish compressor) then i'd be very interested.

• Like 1

• Founding Member
3 hours ago, CharlesM said:

It's a DAS6 Pro - certainly the best amateur one out there.  I suspect that my technique has been part of the problem, I press too hard.  It's not hugely expensive but just at present I'd rather have the old one working, I'm not sure a new one will get the use as I cut back on the cars I have and my Mercedes work is coming to an end.

I also run the DAS6 Pro and totally agree with you that it's best ametuar DA out there especially since it's been improved. Like you I initially too was applying too much pressure and noticed this in whilst replaying my video clip of me polishing my bonnet. It almost looks like the head stops rotating in the clips! I have picked up a tip where you mark the underside of the backing plate on the outer edge at 12 and 6 o'clock and if the backing plate stops during use from too much pressure then the marks stops. I need to applyi these marks when I use it next. That then will allow me to tweak my technique, 

That's an excellent find Dave. That's the one I have, it will be interesting to see how much it goes for.

The air mop sounds like you need a hell of a lot of skill as you can cause a lot of damage to the paint if not done correctly. However I've seen some excellent results with one and I suppose in order to give you total control you will need one with variable speed. 

As for your comments around buying the unknown with £2,500 IMO is a BIG risk and I totally agree with you and Dave.

• Like 2

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, CharlesM said:

Busy start to the day, my Osram Nightbreaker dipped bulbs have just been delivered, as has my wood and leather steering wheel.  Now to figure out how to fit them and get the radio changed today!

Not telling you how to suck eggs Charles but don't forget to disconnect the battery and leave for 20 mins before messing around with the steering wheel.  I had one of those wheels in my previous car, lovely.  Lots of pics to although that goes without saying.  ;)

• Like 2

At the current rate of progress the wheel will be fitted sometime around 2025.  Bulbs are a bugger so gave up pro-tem, radio required a trip to Car Audio & Security to get an aerial adapter and to work out the plugs (old one a cheap Sony with its own unique loom).  Now sorted, so after a well deserved cuppa, the radio will be going in for good!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Excellent stuff Charles and good advice from Geoff re the airbag. Personally i leave them at least 45 mins just to be on the safe side. Up to you although if the new wheel goes on ok you won't be needing the airbag anyway! ;):D Hopefully!

• Like 1

Radio in, bit of a bugger as the fitting is not quite suitable and the observant will note a past attempt to remove the Becker from a previous car led to some unintended rearrangement of the locking mechanism...

Steering wheel is getting comfortable on the sofa, which I expect it will be for some time.  Storm Katie kept on slamming the drivers door on my feet so I'll sort it when the weather's more clement.  The rim of the wooden bit is just a little wider than the original leather one, so I find it more comfortable.  I even think there might be some wood in the mixture too!

Any advance on 45 minutes?!  :D

Becker in.jpg

steering wheel.jpg

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Classic Becker head unit....good ole memories. Got to say it really retains a very stock look to the console.....I like that!

The first time I've seen an original steering wheel that's part wooden.......like that too. Does it have the air bag inside?

• Like 2

I was quite surprised to find it for £20 on Ebay, MB ones are hideously expensive, it has an airbag and will get a good clean and polish (leather and wood) but it looks nice.

The Becker has been in virtually all my cars for the last 8 years, it has nice big buttons that do what they say and the sound is crystal clear.  Which has exposed a very mushy set of rear and front speakers, so I might do an upgrade.  The car does need some soundproofing too.

A journey into Slough just now involving lots of speed bumps revealed total quiet from the front suspension, any knock has gone with the new drop links.  One problem fewer!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yes I have fitted a few of these and they come from a UK Accord Type-V 2.0-2.3 (pictured below) completely interchangeable ;) although the wood effect is lighter than the American trim and the difference stuck out like a sore thumb on my dark grey interior :blush: so fitted it to Geoff's former 2.0 coupe with a lighter interior and it was hardly noticeable ;)

100_2601.JPG

IMAG0435.jpg

• Like 1

Charles, I'm pleased to see that someone else on here listens to Radio 3.  I thought I was the only one.

Going back to another point, it's almost impossible with an older car not to spend more on it than it's worth.  This is a kind of psychological hurdle you have to get over if you run a banger - which these days could probably be anything up to £2000.  (Personally, I'd buy a £1000 Honda or Toyota rather than a £2000 anything else, any day.)  In my case, I've usually decided at that point to spend the minimum to keep the car running properly, perhaps using secondhand parts, not repairing body damage etc. because it's not going to increase the value of the car.

I've already spent on the Honda what I bought the car for, but then all cars need tyres, brakes, suspension repairs etc.  Besides, HACs tend to become more cherished than most old bangers because we like them so much.  And it's still cheap motoring.  We have zero depreciation - a factor that a lot of people ignore when thinking about running costs.  It's not just about fuel efficiency (says he who runs a 3-litre HAC and a 4-litre Lexus).

• Like 3

• Moderators

When i were a lad, i had a Volvo 144 2.0 auto. One of my mates had a Mini (think it was an 850 but might have been a 1 litre) and he worked about half as far away from where he lived as i did. You'd think after 6 months he'd be quids in against what i had spent just on petrol in that time wouldn't you?

WRONG!!! :lol: Not only had he spent almost as much on petrol, his tyres kept wearing out because they were so small, they had to turn twice as many times as mine did for the same distance. He also had more breakdowns, mainly points wearing out although i had the same but his were more frequent because his little engine had to work twice as hard to get him along at the same speed.

So even though my car was about twice the size in all possible measurements, mine still did 30mpg and his struggled to reach that because he was mainly in town driving and mine was open road. Now factor in all his tyres, extra breakdowns and so on and that Mini cost him a fortune to run!

It really isn't just about fuel efficiency!

• Like 1

BN Coupe - I've been caught before with the display on Classic FM so I made very certain this time!

The principal problem people have in getting over when thinking about spending money is the sunk cost fallacy - that what you have spent = what it's worth.  All cars at the budget end are likely to require money spent, so the most important consideration is what will you have to spend on it or an alternative.  Once that is twigged, it becomes very easy to justify some expenditure and what you mention is very sensible - spend what you need and no more (which includes in my case not stinting on important stuff but not wasting money on things like large wheels etc).

• Like 1

• Founding Member

That was a lovely steering wheel Stu...Charles you may be right in that there might be some actual wood in it too.  I may keep my eyes peeled and treat Purple Pimple if I see one on eBay.  ;)

That bottom pic bring back memories...I seem to recollect there being an entire dead bush behind the instrument cluster hence the dead leaves on top...quite strange.  Spookily enough, I had the cluster out yesterday to remove a blown bulb.

• Like 1

Just changed the offside dipped bulb (the nearside will need some assistance) and fitted the steering wheel.  I'll post a full photographic guide to how to do this in the steering section, but here is the before and after, it all works too!

Dead chuffed...

steering wheel2.jpg

wheelygood.jpg

• Like 3

The combination of Storm Katie and a migraine rather kyboshed any achievement today, but I managed to get the n/s dipped beam Nightbreaker  bulb in.  Removing the airbox was the only way to get at those screws that retain the bulbs with the tools I had, a bit fiddly but now sorted.  Even better I got it finished seconds before the heavens opened (again).  Shame I haven't got the induction kit yet, I could do with a snorkel in this weather (that and the air-filter being black on the underside).  The car definitely needs a good service, I'll work out what one from the service history records (which get a bit sketchy on detail for the last two).

Now for some night to break, one of the sidelights has gone, but they make next to no difference anyway...

• Like 2

The 110% Osram Nightbreakers are much better, although having got used to powerful bi-xenons they aren't earth shattering.  However I can now sustain decent speeds in the car down country lanes and they are as good as I am going to get.

Kickdown and gear changes get ever smoother too.  Just had a beautiful hours run in the twilight and then night around the lanes of South Bucks, the thicker steering wheel is more comfortable for me and the whole car is immensely smooth and capable.  Understeer is dialled into the FWD set up so I didn't push my luck round corners, but the creamy six makes up for it, plus the Dunlop Bluresponse tyres smooth the road out nicely.  

Having thought about the rather mushy speakers I remembered I had a set of Focal coax speakers from my Citroen XM, a very good budget set.  They are 16.5 cm, so should fit the front nicely.  I might attempt a fitting this week if I have the time.

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Yep, one of lifes pleasures Charles - especially in our coupes - is to just go out for a drive...not to the shops or going anywhere in particular, just for the sake of it.  It's especially nice in the summer when the sun roof is open, shades on B) and arm hanging out.  Bliss. 

• Like 3

It has to be close to night time around here for a good little run.  Too much traffic in the way.  I still met up with too many people driving at 30 in a 60, but don't start me on modern driving....

I've finally got all the seat and controls set up as I like them.  It's a nice place to be.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CharlesM said:

It has to be close to night time around here for a good little run.  Too much traffic in the way.  I still met up with too many people driving at 30 in a 60, but don't start me on modern driving....

I've finally got all the seat and controls set up as I like them.  It's a nice place to be.

We've already started on driving standards Charles ...................................

Glad you're happy with your Nightbreakers and finally got the setat etc to the optimum position too! :D

• Like 1