Subscriptions & Donations ×

The Purple Peril

CharlesM

• Founding Member

What an absolutely stunning finish.....now that's what I call a pearlescent finish! 

Pure professional and very highly regarded products Charles. I used the Menerna Medium yellow with the Super Finish Plus 3800 yesterday which gave me brilliant results. However being German paint it needed a bit more cutting power but I just didn't have the time or energy. 

Have you ever tried Carlax 68 or the Nano as I'm thinking I will go with an acrylic sealant next? 

Would you say that it's your glaze that makes the peril pop? Poorboys blackhole glaze makes mine pop but now I'm thinking Carlax as that's apparently what it does but with longevity? 

• Like 1

I don't think the glaze makes it pop, just gives a bit more gloss.  I wanted to try out my C1 Liquid crystal direct to metal but couldn't find it.  Blackhole is great with dark colours, it probably would have been good with this.

The only non wax based sealants I've tried are the Gtechniq ones, with great results.  The fact they last for months and even years is a big plus factor,  the work involved in this is too much to do regularly.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Totally agreed with regards to time and effort involved. I just need to spend a weekend on my coupe and then just regularly washes with a topping of wax or Sonax brilliant shine will keep me going. 

Again.....lovely finish Charles! 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

An update.  I loaned the Peril to a friend temporarily without a car, which is why it didn't come to the meet.  Discussing the state of the gearbox with Stu (mine is a Mk1 apparently which has more issues) I decided that as I wanted to replace the suspension, lower and re-wheel and bodykit it, the best thing to do was to move on the Peril and hunt for a later car with a Mk3 box.  I doubted my auto would ever get any better after ATF changes and a new engine mount, so rather than sink any more money in, I should move her on.  

Fast forward a week, my friend, who runs the classic car restorers that have done my Merc, made me an offer on the Peril which was fair, so we have shaken hands and he will use it for the winter rather than his old E30 BMW (that makes sense - his wheel arches rust faster than the rear oversteers...).  So as of Friday I am coupe less.  Currently I don't see any later box models for sale so I'll bide my time.  Annoyingly, some odious toe-rag has crashed into the side of my Volvo when it was parked on the street one day and left no details.  The bill (I won't go through my insurer, 23 years of no-claims down the drain if I do, expensive on my fleet) is likely to be pretty much what I got for the Peril.

Anyway I won't be off, but will be looking probably in the new year when I have got a couple of my other cars moved on.  I want to sell three more (my SM, my BMW M535i and my Mercedes e300 W124 diesel estate).  This hopefully will mean I don't have to move at least one car off the drive each time I get my non-daily runaround out!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Shame you'll be "peril-less" for a while Charles but i can see the logic in what you're doing.

Highly annoying about your Volvo (didn't know you had one as well!), which model have you got? On the bright side the chances are the numpty that hit it did more damage to his car than yours though!

It's a Volvo XC60 diesel auto, an astonishingly great engine and gearbox in an otherwise slightly less dynamic package (great seats though).  It is my main car and is used for all my load lugging etc, but I have done so many miles this year I have reined back on using it (lease car) and I bought the Peril to use as a substitute for most trips that didn't require great load lugging.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you've decided to let the peril go Charles, I have restored a few MK1 transmission to good health, but I totally agree if your going to be spending money on a car to make it your own, it needs to be a good starting point ;) I have spent over 5 times on what I originally paid for my coupe, but it was a good car to start with and haven't seen one as good since or ever likely to either. :mellow: Now I'm basically doing the same again with buying two Odyssey's, it wasn't intentional :rolleyes: but I'm out to make one excellent example for the family motor and move on a good example ;)

• Like 2

Mine is FWD Dave - that meant I got the new bi-turbo diesel 2 litre and the 8 speed auto.  At 500nm of torque with 8 cogs to play around with that engine just shifts.  I had a V8 engined Range Rover 4.4 (the BMW one) back in the day and that did 0-60 in 8 secs, 130 mph top speed and 18mpg if you were really lucky.  The XC60 has the same performance, but gives me 46mpg (and would be more if I didn't use all that torque).

• Like 2

• Moderators

That sounds scary Charles - all that torque through a FWD set-up! That said Volvo are pretty good at getting their cars to put the power down (regardless of driven wheels) so shouldn't be a major problem.

At least being a lease car you can give it back when you're bored and get something else! ;):D

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Is it a D5 Charles? Turbo with a compressed air augmented spool up, canny technology.

The D4 in the S90 we drove was quick with "only" 190hp to the front wheels, the gearbox was smooth but occasionaly a little slow to respond.

• Like 3

D4, so the same engine.  Box is much faster in sport mode, about the only time I felt that slowness to respond normally is at low revs - the box map takes it up gears too quickly to improve economy.  It does torque steer a fair old bit, just don't boot it on bumpy roads (so the whole of the South East).  What I do like is that at 100mph in Germany it was ticking over at just over 2000rpm.  Engine technology is fabulous.

• Like 1

Met up with Simeon today - he's the new owner.  By virtue of staying just out of VTEC he's getting about 35mpg on average, with which he's very pleased, likes the car a lot but thinks its one weak point is road noise.  I normally have concerns about selling to a mate as invariably if something goes wrong it creates a possible issue in the friendship, but as it is a Honda and he has a workshop, I don't mind at all!

• Like 2