Subscriptions & Donations ×

Electromagnetic Parking sensors "THOUGHTS"

hughezee

• Administrators

Well after fitting some parking sensors that a customer supplied and which only lasted 2 weeks :o I stumbled upon by chance some electromagnetic jobbies as I didn't fancy cutting holes in my bumper let alone somebody else's only to fail after a short period of time. Anyway today I fitted a electromagnetic sensor and I have to say I was impressed with the results so far and it also covered the side parts of the bumper which is useful reversing into a tight parking space.

Anybody else had experience with these sensors before I take the plunge a fit them to my motors? I know some kits can be total crap but the kit I used today was pretty good and with some common sense installation was a snip...

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've not heard of them but the big drawback of electromagnetic sensors is they don't pick up on non-ferrous items such as animals and kids. Granted neither should be anywhere near the car while it's being parked but there was a case reported on the news last year of a mum who ran her toddler over while reverse parking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Founding Member

Besides the dirty windows, can you see anything unusual?  ;)

81DE36DF-8F70-457B-9D22-6326D308392C_zps

Well....last weekend Purple Haze had a few bits done (including the bumper from Project Break) and before fitting it Stu fitted electromagnetc parking sensors to the rear of the bumper.  It basically looks like a long wire taped/secured to the rear of the bumper with a connector at the end.  Then a small control unit is connected to the end and the wires soldered into the reversing wire in the loom.  The control module is then secured on the inside.  As it was late Stu didn't round to threading the display to the dash so I thought I'd have a go...after washing and waxing Purple of course.  It's Saturday = wax day. 

Basically I (gently) teased the slack wire until I had enough to reach the dash then dropped the rear seat and threaded it down and between the rear sear (behind driver), then down and under the plastic trim where the seat belt is.  I then removed the plastic kick plate which revealed a channel, perfect for the wire which I then stuck down with pvc tape.  I then threaded the cable up where the bonnet release is and ended up in the void where the fusebox is.  Then it was simple a case of sticking the display down with some double sided tape.  Mission Accomplished.

I must say, I have been using it now for a week and it really is useful when backing up. Where I park for work I back up towards a brick wall and when the display is red and beeping madly, I know it's time to stop.  The bumper ends up about 1 foot from the wall.  Excellent.

Therefore, I can recommend these sensors chaps, easy to fit (apparently), no nasty holes in the bumper and they work!

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Yep, happy days Stu.  Checked the levels earlier and Purple is gleaming too, took him for a jet wash earlier.  Then I T-Cutted the middle of the door and by the number plate then used my Simoniz coloured polish on him.  He's so shiny I had to wear my shades to look at him afterwards.  B)  Incidentally, I removed the cluster and the bulb was deader than Prince!  Think I'll order a few from Honda and drop you one up when he has his oil change in June.  ;)

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Oooooooo.  You mean dispose of the display and have a red LED instead but use one of the unused gaps that are not used?  Likey Likely.  As my cluster feels like it's being removed weekly these days, be interested to see what it looks like Stu.  ;)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...