Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Coupe Mesh Grille....Nice

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Ahsy kindly let me have his old grille, bought from USA and made specifically for the Accord Coupe.  Made of ABS with a black metal mesh.  I was going to have a go at fitting it myself as apparently "there's only a few clips at the top remove".  Ohhhh no.  After speaking to Stu, there's also another 4 screws at the bottom which are impossible to access unless you're Warwick Davis and "it's easier to take the bumper off to do it", according to Stu.  No chance of me doing that on my own so off to Stu's I went earlier this morning, off came the bumper and I must say Ahsy, it looks great and is a great fit.  What do you chaps think?

2E214160-3C65-41B1-B8C8-61FACCFEFC1D_zps

AC1BD5AC-CB4E-4497-9B9E-579EBB5EB08B_zps

682DFEC7-C9E1-4EDB-8F3D-A54AF58C6327_zps

FDE1C637-DA4D-416B-BE8F-A17EA52E9CAB_zps

The mesh is made of metal and yes, it was a snug fit but once it has warmed up a few times with heat from the engine, it should bed in nicely.   

5CCD46F3-73F1-4DDF-B539-D38A02FBEF4D_zps

My car was unusually slightly dirty so when I got home I Demon Shined her...twice, and took a few more pics of the lovely grille.  I think it gives the front end a subtle agressive look without being too "Boy Racer", if you know what I mean. Is this cleaner Stu??

A6297CAD-11D5-491A-8626-CA9E1804FC4B_zps

Thought I'd better do the wife's Civic too while I was at it with the Demon Shine....notice the reflection on my bonnet....:wub:

9E06B843-5EDA-467E-B8F0-6E26E22FF490_zps

So, another pleasant morning was spent at Stu's aka Honda 6 HQ.  Beep Beep.  ;)

• Like 5

• Founding Member

Yep, understand now Stu why the bumper had to come off too.  Impossible to get the screws out as they're at an angle and no room, good job someone was thoughtful enough to grease them previously.  Also it's an opportunity for a quick clean around the bottom of the headlights and the new filler cap looks coolio.  I stopped off at the Shell garage on the way back for some V Power and it opens and closes lovely and no scratch!  :)

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Whoops I forgot about the screws at the bottom......but my excuse is that it was nearly 6 years ago that I first put it on:). But saying that I also took it off my previous coupe and put it on the current one just over 3 years ago.....I remember it being very fiddly but I managed it without taking the bumper off. 

Anyway, back to your grille......love the look and IMO much better than the original BUT subtle at the same time. I do think a badge of some type would look good....maybe something placed centrally or tucked into a corner? There is a particular mauve coupe I saw years ago with the same grille and I think it said vtec in the bottom right corner and it looked pretty good. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member
23 hours ago, CharlesM said:

Looks great, a very subtle mod - do you plan to fit a badge?

I do indeed Charles, just ordered a subtle, small red VTEC badge for it off Amazon.  Think I'll pop it in the corner, should finish it off nicely.

• Like 3

• Founding Member
12 hours ago, hughezee said:

yeah Rob aka coupeman would agree with you about not removing bumper, but it was allot quicker and less painful to remove the bumper :lol: especially as we lost a philips bit and couldn't get it leaving the bumper on :blush:

Ha ha, yes, we could hear it go 'clink' and then no sign of it!  It dropped to the floor though when the bumper was removed so all good. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Morning peeps, well my new red VTEC chrome grille badge arrived from China this morning, only took 3 weeks to arrive.  :huh:  Oh well, here are a few pics of the badge, it's about 4 inches long and about an inch wide (oooo errr).  It's got 3M sticky stuff on the back so when it's dry, it should stick nicely....the question is where should I place it?  Right in the middle or perhaps offset to the left/right...top or bottom?  Decisions decisions....The bits around the letters needs to be filed off, you won't notice it when it's on. 

F77C0BFB-B073-480B-BCB5-23B6C0FEC254_zps

0EF97694-9396-4671-9128-CA31451BF178_zps

• Like 1

• Moderators

Geoff - they've spelled it wrong! ;):lol: Typical Chinese poor translation! :D

Joking aside, it looks nice and will look better once dressed with a file to remove that flashing. My line of thought in terms of position is first choice would be dead centre, second choice would be bottom left hand corner - not completely in the corner but with a nice "margin" round it. Either would look good and it's your car so has to be your decision. :D

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Think you're right there Dave, I hink right in the middle.  Me being fussy means I will measure it so that it's exactly in the centre too.

Stu, you're right.  As the grille is obviously a metal mesh, there's not much for the alleged 3M sticky stuff to stick to and it would fall off, I think the badge is designed to stick on the rear.  I'll take a trip to Halfords and see what they've got.  Is there another way to secure it on as well as the 3M sticky stuff? 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Personally I would fit it to the right of the grill stick it to a plastic strip (black), drill a small hole in the plastic strip between the V & T also the one in the middle of the C and using some small nuts and washers attach to the grill ;)

Keep us posted either way mate :)

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Very nice looking badge matey.

imo defo bottom right and like stu said I would make a small plastic plate for it to stick to. Then bolt to the grille from behind.....you don't want to wait another 3 weeks for a replacement do you?!?!

i don't get the filing off bit as the surround looks very nice as if it has a boarder/framed look. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

i don't get the filing off bit as the surround looks very nice as if it has a boarder/framed look. 

If you look closer at the pics geoff posted up, on the back side of the outer edge of the badge there are "shadowy" bits of flashing where the mould hasn't closed completely before the plastic is injected - if you've ever made a plastic model kit you should know what i mean. It's possible it is made of cast white metal or similar as well and flashing occurs in that process as well. The flashing just spoils it at the moment and it will make a world of difference once Geoff has used Mrs Geoffs nail file to clean the flashing off. :D

• Founding Member
5 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

If you look closer at the pics geoff posted up, on the back side of the outer edge of the badge there are "shadowy" bits of flashing where the mould hasn't closed completely before the plastic is injected - if you've ever made a plastic model kit you should know what i mean. It's possible it is made of cast white metal or similar as well and flashing occurs in that process as well. The flashing just spoils it at the moment and it will make a world of difference once Geoff has used Mrs Geoffs nail file to clean the flashing off. :D

Get it now. When I first saw the pics I was sitting in T4 short stay car park at Heathrow absolutely fuming :angry: because it took 50 mins to get to into the car park and 30mins to get out!!! It's this forum that allowed me to take my mind off things and chill:) and as always thank you all. I was logged on with my iPhone and didn't have my readers on.

Anyway back to Geoffs flashing habits......when I got home and looked at the badge on my iPad I then saw what you were referring to.

One of my childhood fave pastimes was a Airfix model or 20.....sadly my last one was in my late 20's/30's and remember spending a couple of weeks completing a Desert Storm Tornado with Nigel Kennedys Vivaldi Four Seasons playing in the background on repeat.....ahhhhh bliss! The point of that last statement is that I now understand another term to flashing now. 

I have to say the the depth of knowledge and experience on this site is admirable and I have utmost respect for you guys. 

Ps will be finally replacing my rear discs and pads today. I'll also attempt to paint the calipers......I feel a long day ahead. I'll post it separately later IF I do it. On a tight schedule as rain will arrive around 6ish:(

• Founding Member

Mission Accomplised I think.....

Before:

A2C5FB18-7119-40A2-907E-CEE4D7EC6F39_zps

After:

0C5B0F6B-3F0D-4795-9709-AB860D5A884B_zps

After again...

294870A1-92D6-42FB-9983-848A6C0D9E60_zps

Needless to say, I didn't whip the drill out.  There's absolutely no access at the back to mess around, especially when you've got shovel hands like me, so I placed it where I wanted it then found a small cable tie and managed to get it around the E and C.  There's no way this is going to drop off now. 

• Like 3

• Founding Member

I agree Stu, the red on the black (plus the dark colour of the car as a whole) looks coolio I think.  B)  You can't even see the cable tie unless you're up close too.  You could have a gold coloured grille for Flex?