Subscriptions & Donations ×

david beales newbie

david beales

hello everyone,i have just joined,having been pointed your way by stuart who was helping me with an ebay inquiry.i found my 98 v6  in silver a year ago and it is even better than I expected.with under 100k and a good history,including cambelts,it is sound though cosmetically challenged on the corners.! though not my most favoured Honda--that was a new crx coupe vtec--I expect to keep it forever,or at least as long as my wife haskept her Honda Beat--20 years.that one is just about to go on sale,reluctantly,-always motd taxed but never used! I look forward to my membership and participation.i live in n cornwall--bude-great but remote. regards david

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Welcome David to the best Honda Accord Coupe Forum around, don't hesitate to ask anything however silly, we've all been there.  Post some pics up of your coupe so we can all admire it.  We're a friendly bunch on here and you're sure of great advice and tips.

Welcome again.  :D

• Like 2

good evening folks.many thanks for the welcomes and encouraging words.Inspired,i have lined up an oil change,poss gearbox fluid change,and nightbreaker low beam bulbs.Idle valve actuator ready for change also.Trying to stop water ingress at boot lid surround seams--Cornish rain!!  Thanks again .david

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wow - Cornish Rain? How is that different to rain in the rest of the country? Round my neck of the woods (East Anglia) we get a thing called "mizzle" which is a combination of mist and drizzle. Very, very, very fine rain so you think it's just misty until you get home and find you are drenched! I think it's to do with the flat Fenlands round here as i've never seen it in any other part of the country - similar but not the same. :wacko:

• Founding Member

Yep, it's that fine rain that soaks you.  The rain where it's so light that you have to use your wipers say ever minute or so. 

David - what you have is quite common with our coupes, I think it's because our boots are quite flat so when it rains, the water collects in the channels and stays there until the car moves.  Then, due to the seam shrinking a smidge, water can then ingress into the boot, which isn't good.  You'll probably find it collects around the spare wheel.  On my previous blue coupe the channels were full of nasty muck, so I cleared them out and then wiped some Vaseline all along where the seams are, the Vaseline kind of melts into the crevices and it kept the water out too. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure Halfrauds even know what it is Geoff - they didn't last time i asked! I got mine from Amazon instead :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006O7HTDE

They list tubs as well but it's one of the pricier commodities and you only need a very small amount. Since buying that tube in Oct 2014, i've lubed the sunroofs on both Rovers twice, fitted two thermostats and several other jobs with it and still got about half left. :D

• Like 1

• Founding Member
3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I could be wrong but i think Geoff bought an aftermarket cargo net. ;)

Ohhh no David, this was the Honda cargo net from Project Break that I had from Stu.  Very useful, I keep all my Asda carriers and cans of silicone etc, stops them rolling around the boot.  Very handy.  ;)

• Like 2

being computer illiterate (and dim),I have only picked up on the  helpful posts re.boot seam leaks. my attempt with silicone mastic having failed,i will now try with the suggestions. if the grease doesn't work I can at least use the emptied container to catch the water! re: the Cornish rain,i used to live in the fens so was well aquainted with "mizzle". came to cornwall so I could get properly soaked--had enough now though,so have my cars and the dog! thanks again. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Ohhh no David, this was the Honda cargo net from Project Break that I had from Stu.  Very useful, I keep all my Asda carriers and cans of silicone etc, stops them rolling around the boot.  Very handy.  ;)

That's the only real drawback with a big boot Geoff - when things roll around in it! you need arms like guy the Gorilla just to reach some of the things.

David - if you look carefully at things like the striker plate adjustment, the rubber buffers that set the closed level of the boot lid etc you can usually achieve a leak free boot. I've found polishing the channels beside the seal helps the water to run off easier as well. Not a guaranteed fix but it helps.

• Like 2