Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Coupe owner in Antrim

Steve in Ireland

Well I may be keeping the Honda for a while after all.  Had a nosy at a Subaru Outback today just to see if he would do a deal against the Honda.  The dealer initially reckoned the trade in price was £300!  Eventually upped it to £700 but still wanted £2300 from me plus the Honda for the Subaru (2005 2.5 SE with 112k miles - worth £2800 best I reckon and asking £2995).  Would rather spend the £2300 getting the gearbox sorted on the Honda I think.

First time I had driven a Subaru. Was rather underwhelmed to be honest.  Felt pretty gutless and a bit cheap compared to the Honda. Guess only the 3 litre or turbo charged ones have any go.  

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Subaru also make tractors, don't they?  £300 trade in!!  :o  Extracting the urine, I would rather drive it off a cliff than take £300.  I agree, I would spend less than £2300 getting the gearbox sorted then you will have a lovely, rare Honda that will last for years.  ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Another thing to bear in mind Steve - in a years time the Subaru will only be worth £300 trade-in and your Honda will still be worth at least £700 trade-in! Besides, you've heard the saying about better to stick with the devil you know? By the time you've spent £2300 sorting the gearbox and any other maladies your Accord may have, you'll know there's precious little else to go wrong. With the Subaru, you'll have spent the money and still be wondering what will go wrong..........

Come to think of it, you could probably pick up an accident damaged/MoT failure Accord V6 auto for £300 (or 400 Euros from south of the border ;) ) with a decent box and a shed load of other spares, swap the 'box, keep any other bits you definitely need, a few more that you might need, sell a few that you probably won't need and then weigh the rest in for scrap and probably break even on the deal. Might be an option to consider?

Can't find any "Spares or Repairs" at the moment but this might get you in the ball park :

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=accord%20coupe

I don't know if you'd have to pay any import duty buying one from the south but wouldn't think it would be that much on what would be a scrapper.

• Like 2