Subscriptions & Donations ×

Loosing Coolant/ Antifreeze 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

Just turned the air back to cold in the car and let it idle for fifteen mins,  level has dropped a little, had another look around the rad the best I could seems to be dry but will probably replace as I reckon its been there for 17 years. Hard to believe that the car is 17 years old and still unbelievably reliable and the parts only now need replacing.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Just turned the air back to cold in the car and let it idle for fifteen mins,  level has dropped a little, had another look around the rad the best I could seems to be dry but will probably replace as I reckon its been there for 17 years. Hard to believe that the car is 17 years old and still unbelievably reliable and the parts only now need replacing.

The air has long gone buddy since you've driven the car and had to top-up, just a tip for the future or anybody else reading ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Nice to see you still around Sean! If the rad is still ok then firstly there's a good chance it's already been replaced at some point in the cars life, if not then personally i'd just keep an eye on it and its general condition.

While i wholeheartedly agree with preventive maintenance, there is such a thing as taking things too far. Unless the rad is damaged, leaking, missing fins or is generally falling apart then i think the most i would do is a back flush after using something like Comma X-Stream coolant system flush and maybe remove it to hose out the fins etc to ensure there are no airflow blockages. Don't use a pressure washer, normal garden hose pressure is plenty! The pressure washer can do more harm than good.

I think Stu has hit the nail on the head about you having an airlock but keep an eye on it, just to be sure.

• Like 3