Subscriptions & Donations ×

New to the site which one to buy 2.0 or 3.0V6

MarkC

• Administrators

Well it's official you own a coupe and congratulations Mark :D

I would be very surprised if it is the fuel tank (p/n:17500S84H01) as they are plastic coated and even more surprised they didn't fully inspect the car before selling it  :huh:

Anyway the car I'm breaking is a purple coupe  "project break" and the tank is the same as the 2.0 and more importantly leak free ;)  I know of several people that have had problems with fuel leaking from joining areas of new pipes or lines due to trapped air, personally I prime the system before gambling a tank of fuel or worse a damaged fuel pump or injector. Hopefully it's something simple and check for leaks in the engine bay on the passenger side at the back of the engine or just before passenger side rear wheel for anything obvious  ^_^

• Like 2

Thanks for the wise words Stu. :) The fuel pipes were replaced 2000 miles ago and I will have to have a closer look to see if there is an obvious leak. I will get it on my axle stands tomorrow and investigate and thanks for letting me know where to look. A dodgy pipe connection does sound more likely than a leaking tank. I had no idea they were plastic coated. It is reassuring to know you have a leak free tank available for purchase should I need one. Having access to such excellent advice via this forum was a deciding factor in purchasing one of these great cars!:)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Well it's official you own a coupe and congratulations Mark :D

I would be very surprised if it is the fuel tank (p/n:17500S84H01) as they are plastic coated and even more surprised they didn't fully inspect the car before selling it  :huh:

Anyway the car I'm breaking is a purple coupe  "project break" and the tank is the same as the 2.0 and more importantly leak free ;)  I know of several people that have had problems with fuel leaking from joining areas of new pipes or lines due to trapped air, personally I prime the system before gambling a tank of fuel or worse a damaged fuel pump or injector. Hopefully it's something simple and check for leaks in the engine bay on the passenger side at the back of the engine or just before passenger side rear wheel for anything obvious  ^_^

Got my molours cuddled up Stu, sorry!

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Hi Mark and well done getting a coupe, yours sure is a lovely example.  I agree, lots and lots of paperwork is nice to see, it shows it's been looked after.  The wheels are nice, really set it off.  Be great to see it in the flesh at this years Honda 6 Meet.  ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nice one Mark. Looks great.

Geoff and I are meeting at Stu's on the 31st if you fancy coming along. We are both having a bit of work done. I think Geoff is having an ATF change.... well geoff isnt, his car is.

Geoff is having an ATF change? Has Stu branched out into blood transfusions? :lol:

Right colour i suppose, as long as the two fluids don't get mixed up...................... ;):D

• Like 1

Hi, sadly the trader who supplied my 2.0l manual with the full Honda history wasn't prepared to pay for the fuel tank repair so has had it collected it and is giving me a refund. It was going to be about 5 hours labour plus a refurbished tank. I had located the leak myself but I ended up taking it to a garage who confirmed the location (on the seam of the tank where there is a plastic fitting to hold the fuel pipes). 

Amazing support from all of you on the forum and many thanks. It will be a couple of months before I'm next on holiday and I will start looking again.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sorry to hear that Mark but at least you've had a refund. I suspect the trader will cut their losses and put it on fleabay for "Spares or Repair" and take whatever they get for it, which in all probability still give them a profit.

Keep your eyes peeled, you may own that car yet! :lol: Stu has a tank and i'm sure he'd do you a good deal on supply and fit and if you got the car much cheaper that pretty much pays for the tank!

• Administrators

That's such a shame :mellow: at least the dealer is resolving the matter the best way they can for you, I'm still gutted for you though :huh:

I know Richard "Graymalkin" has already mentioned we are having a small get together at the end of the month there will be a handful of members having some routine maintenance done and your more than welcome to attend to have look at a few V6's :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for all your support and words of condolence. I will keep my eyes peeled to see if it turns up again because the rest of the car was great. I am afraid that I can't make this particular meet because I look after 65 teenagers and its a 7 day a week job in term time. If one of the meetings falls in a holiday I will certainly try to attend.:)

• Like 3

• Moderators

Blimey! That's some job you have there! I wouldn't want to (and almost certainly couldn't) do it so respect to you on that! Everything happens for a reason though so maybe this car will come up again and you'll get it for peanuts, leaving you enough to get it fixed and maybe a few other preventive maintenance jobs done too and still have change from the original budget. ;):D

• Like 1

Today was MOT day.  The fuel smell I mentioned a while back turned out to be a leak, one that sounds very similar to the one mentioned in this thread.  It was a broken connection (metal to plastic) near the tank, which my mechanic charged me £40 to fix as part of the MOT (it would have failed otherwise).  So Mark, if you're reading this, I don't know if it was the same problem as the one you encountered, but the fix may not be expensive if you can find a canny mechanic like mine.

I also had new rear discs and pads fitted as they were pretty much shot, plus rear anti-roll bar links (bushes?) - and an oil & filter change.  The only advisory was the rear exhaust section which will soon need repairing or replacing.  'Otherwise it's in good shape - drives lovely', was my mechanic's verdict.

I noticed yesterday that the Coupe Mark looked at was still on Autotrader - at the same price and no mention of needing a repair...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Congrats on the MoT - that's another good year ahead for you!

The rear anti roll bar drop links have a bush in each end and basically link the suspension to the anti roll bar. Over time these bushes wear and cause sloppiness that you probably couldn't feel before but will almost certainly find the back end is "sharper" now - and quieter!

Thanks for the explanation.  I can hear a sort of creak coming from the back sometimes, so I'll be interested to know if it has gone.  I thought the front end sounded a bit clonky too, but apparently there's nothing at all to worry about there.  So yes, I'm looking forward to the next 12 months with the car.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

It's like buses isn't it, nothing for ages then half a dozen come along!  Some appear to be absolute bargains although thank Christ we have access to the MOT History checker website.  There's usually a good reason why someone's selling it cheap.  ;)

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New to the site which one to buy 2.0 or 3.0V6