Subscriptions & Donations ×

Which Coolant/ Antifreeze 2004-2013 Honda Elysion 2.4 3.0 3.5 V6

• Administrators

As a follow up to past discussions regarding Coolant/ Antifreeze and the problems associated with using Honda Type 2 Coolant p/n: 08CLAG026L0 when used in older engines, which results in annoying leaks, vapour leaks and really unpleasant persistent odours (also requires replacement every 2 years). Although these symptoms from using Type 2 coolant can be elevated with some water dilution to the 50/50 mix up to 65% water to 35% coolant mix, improving the heat exchange process.

So I have illustrated one of the most common fluids used by myself or recommended by other members, so if you are looking for a standard fluid to TOP-UP you can use Honda Type 2 Coolant, but try avoid using large amounts i.e flushing the cooling system after maintenance or repairs on the cooling system (you have been warned). Owners looking for great protection or one stop solution or just a TOP-UP I would highly recommend Prestone Coolant Antifreeze. 👍

prestone.jpg

22c.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: the information within this topic has been kindly contributed by one of our experienced members and has been extensively researched and found to be correct by independent testing or external resources. However' when replacing radiators and water pumps, some manufacturers insist on genuine coolant for warranty purposes, please adhere to this advice.

Regards SITE DEVELOPMENT.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • Founding Member

Had a chat to Stu last week as I was loosing coolent in my car.As i put Honda pro 2 in at the meet.

Tip from Stu was to dilute it with about a pint off water as the pre mix is very strong.

Ha presto the leak seems to have stopped and no more loss of coolant :)

• Like 3

• Administrators

Had a chat to Stu last week as I was loosing coolent in my car.As i put Honda pro 2 in at the meet.

Tip from Stu was to dilute it with about a pint off water as the pre mix is very strong.

Ha presto the leak seems to have stopped and no more loss of coolant :)

You're to kind Brett :blush: Honda type 2 coolant is a 50 % mix and most Honda's are specified for a 35% which is just a more diluted mix which offers a better heat transfer, hence why some Honda's loose coolant with 50/50 mix ;)

• Administrators

Here are the notes buddy: Honda Type 2 coolant is an ethylene glycol base product for extra long lasting aluminium component protection.  Honda coolant has been developed to provide corrosion and rust protection of all cooling system components.  Requires no additional corrosion inhibitors.  When used as directed in Honda vehicles, this coolant will give complete protection for 5 years or 60,000 miles.  No additional water is required. 50/50 Pre-diluted antifreeze.

Now I was under the impression ethylene glycol products increase the boiling point and therefore would prevent loss, just compatible Prestone Coolant Antifreeze  coolant gives me Zero trouble ????

• Like 2

• Moderators

That's why i was asking - i wonder if the extra corrosion inhibitors increase the "creeping" ability of the ethylene-glycol? I used JCB 4 year anti freeze last time i did the Sterling in 2011 and have had no leaks or any other problems with it. However it needed diluting to 50/50 but even using normal tap water (not necessarily ideal i know) it hasn't given any problems at all.

I wonder if we're looking at another DW-1 "backwards compatibility problem?

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Honda Type 2 Coolant "USE SOMETHING ELSE"
  • The topic was pinned
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Will need some coolant soon for the van whilst I am still trying to chase down the small leak so just checked up on Prestone, seems as if the going rate is around £15 to £23 for a 4 litre can...Toolstation are doing it for £14.99 so a visit is in order 🙂

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Toolstation are doing it for £14.99 so a visit is in order 🙂

A visit? Unless they've changed things, orders over £10 are free next day delivery at Toolstation. Saves you time and petrol and minimises the risk of catching Kung Flu! ;):D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Unless they've changed things, orders over £10 are free next day delivery at Toolstation.

I have used tool station a few times recently orders over 25 squid are FREE delivery, I remember when it was a £10 minimum spend though 🙄

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Interesting product this. About 4 years ago I attempted to use a ready to use version in my Triumph Acclaim, switching from Comma G30. The result was terrible. Loss of coolant with small leaks springing up all around the engine lump. I hastily switched back to G30 and normality resumed..... But.......

With G30 after a 100+ miles run, the engine smells hot (not a pleasant or reassuring odour) and I have always hated it. After a drunken conversation with Stu a few weeks back (sorry Stu 😂) and mentioning the hot smell, Stu suggested I try the concentrate version of prestone, with deionised water. This I have done and the smell has virtually gone even after a 200 mile motorway journey, no leaks, no coolant loss and I am very happy.

Not sure about the 5 years or 150000 miles claim of service life though. What do others think of this?

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

A visit? Unless they've changed things, orders over £10 are free next day delivery at Toolstation. Saves you time and petrol and minimises the risk of catching Kung Flu! ;):D

Don't usually consider delivery, Toolststion or Screwfix,  as I pass by the two outfits most days. Screwfix do prestone too but only 1 litre containers. 

The only problem,  in both cases, is the queuing system....especially when its raining  !!! 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Retro Rich said:

Interesting product this. About 4 years ago I attempted to use a ready to use version in my Triumph Acclaim, switching from Comma G30. The result was terrible. Loss of coolant with small leaks springing up all around the engine lump. I hastily switched back to G30 and normality resumed..... But.......

With G30 after a 100+ miles run, the engine smells hot (not a pleasant or reassuring odour) and I have always hated it. After a drunken conversation with Stu a few weeks back (sorry Stu 😂) and mentioning the hot smell, Stu suggested I try the concentrate version of prestone, with deionised water. This I have done and the smell has virtually gone even after a 200 mile motorway journey, no leaks, no coolant loss and I am very happy.

Not sure about the 5 years or 150000 miles claim of service life though. What do others think of this?

If there is a coolant smell with whatever coolant is used then there is a leak..?.....

The trouble with antifreeze is it searches out the smallest of "holes" that water can't get through....more importantly it can penetrate the rubber pipes which have become porous with age. Any tiny leakage is usually undetected as it dries quickly with heat and only happens when the system is under pressure whilst the engine is running .

The concentration of antifreeze can also affect the boiling point and putting too much in, higher concentrations, can be a problem , the age old 50/50 mix isn't necessarily the best. 

I have never tried prestone but it is supposedly good enough to mix with anything as it lacks silicates but I am not sure I would use it on its own to fill a system. 

Tesco are doing it at £14 but don't have any stock 🙄

• Like 2

• Moderators

Collected the prestone from toolstation,  queue of three in the carpark!!

Only had two 4 litre containers left, apparently a run on it !! Really ???  !!!!

Almost like the usual when you complain about something, " well , you're the only one, never had that problem  before".....

..to which the reply should be ; "lucky me, as I am the first you can gain from the experience and fix it " !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2