Subscriptions & Donations ×

Well, Hello

tezzer

Just found this forum, after 5 years of 3.0 Coupe ownership.

Bought "Ivy" from an old boy in the village where I live, one afternoon, while we sat in the pub garden. In breezed the Green car, which we all admired, and jokingly said we like your car John. His response was, well I have 2 (he did) and he left the keys behind the bar for me to take it for a run, the following day. It then had 88,000 on the dials, but was a sweet as sweet could be. A huge folder of receipts, for every service, tyre or bulb it had ever had. The price, a ridiculous £1200. 

I had at the time an 18 month old S type Jaguar, 2.7twin turbo diesel, bought at HUGE expense from a main dealer.That was costing me £350 a month, so after less than 4 months the Honda had paid for itself.

Since then, it has just run and run, gone through a few consumables, one or two litres of fuel, but never once EVER let me down (unlike the Jag). I bought front discs from the US on a business trip for a fraction of the cost here, and those were probably the biggest expenditure. Honda dealers local to me have just done the cambelt (again) at 134,000 for a measly £220 fixed price. Another bargain.

Today, I've done a 350 mile round trip to work, got out back home as fresh as I set of at 5 this morning.  I brimmed the tank before I left, and again at work where it returned 35.6mpg. Slightly better than normal, probably due to the early start, and less traffic on the A1.

It was shed of the week on Pistonheads, a couple of months ago, and although I trust it, and love it dearly, it will soon be replaced by my daughter's Mini One D, the fuel savings are just TOO good to miss out on. I'll miss it, when it goes.

• Administrators

Welcome to the club Terry, glad your enjoying your coupe and before you sell it please post up some picture of it for us to admire ;)

Note: in my opinion there I no modern diesel that saves you money long term :lol: seriously though what ever your driving in 6 weeks 6 months 6 years and beyond your always welcome here at Honda 6 ;)

I'd also be interested in which Honda dealer quoted £220 for the cam belt as well as I'm playing Cam belt roulette as we speak.

I take it that they didn't change the water pump at that price?

Crikey, so would I!!  Lookers at Nottingham quoted me £826 to change the cam belt and balance belt (this was on my Legend).  This is a standard Honda charge (i.e. 5.2 hours plus parts).  It doesn't include the water pump, either, which would add another £260 to the parts costs (and presumably a little bit to the labour).

I'd also be interested in which Honda dealer quoted £220 for the cam belt as well as I'm playing Cam belt roulette as we speak.

I take it that they didn't change the water pump at that price?

The Honda Main dealers in Hull, Marshalls. Fixed price, under the Honda Happiness scheme !

• Administrators

The Honda Main dealers in Hull, Marshalls. Fixed price, under the Honda Happiness scheme !

Just for reference the water pump wouldn't have been in included in that price you can get the timing belt done for £185 ish, I would be happier with the lower price as Happiness scheme is just an average cost your paying that covers a wide range of models ;)

• Founding Member

£520 with a water pump from our local Honda stealers.

Conversation went like this.

"Price for a Cambelt change for a Honda Accord Coupe please"

"Is that an Import?"

"No, it's a V6 coupe sold in the UK"

"We dont sell V6 coupes, are you sure it isnt an import?"

Depressing how little they know their old range of cars.

• Founding Member

:lol: :lol:  Was he about 17 years old?  Our coupes were probably around when he was a twinkle in his pappa's eye!  Amazing.  :rolleyes:   Anyway Ritche, surely you should be calling our esteemed Honda6 leader for a quote??  Confused.com  :huh:

• Founding Member

:lol: :lol:  Was he about 17 years old?  Our coupes were probably around when he was a twinkle in his pappa's eye!  Amazing.  :rolleyes:   Anyway Ritche, surely you should be calling our esteemed Honda6 leader for a quote??  Confused.com  :huh:

Stus 2 hours away from me, as much as I'd like to use his talents I don't want to take a day off to get work done, if i could get a belt changed for £220 at the local Honda garage who can give me a car to get to work then I'd get it done.

Paying Stu's very good prices and taking a day off work means that I'm probably getting close to £600 in on a car with a dodgy gearbox, which just doesn't make sense.

Back to the original plan, drive it till it goes pop and then part it out to whoever want bits from the club or sell it as a parts mule.

• Moderators

Welcome aboard Terry! I'm biased (against BMW products for obvious reasons) but personally i would keep the Accord coupe and have it converted to LPG. Reduces your fuel costs by half and you don't give cancer to everyone who breathes your diseasel exhaust fumes!

Oh yeah, you get to keep a reliable car that is stylish, fast, comfortable and it's one in the eye for Herr BMW!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

I tempted fate, harping on about the reliable nature of the beast. Got into it at 11 this morning, fired up the AC and dropped both windows to help the initial cool down. Except the passenger window disappeared to the bottom of the door, under the influence of Isaac Newton's greatest find, gravity. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Oops! :o

Once you get the window glass back in its runners, give the rubbers a seriously good spraying with silicone lubricant as this will help prevent it happening again. Also will make the windows go up/down easier and smoother.

• Moderators

Anyone got a NS window regulator for sale ?

Can't help with the window reg i'm afraid Terry but you might get a better response if you put a wanted ad in the Classifieds section of the forum :

http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/forum/31-classifieds/

Hope that's useful for you! ;):)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Took me a while to think of the breaker you meant as it's nowhere near Newmarket (about 15-20 miles away) despite having a Newmarket STD code.

It is Beck Row Auto Dismantlers, Skeltons Drove, Beck Row, Mildenhall 01638 713938.

http://beckrowauto.com

Not sure what they have in the way of Accord coupes just now but they usually have something in.