Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Rear Wheel Bearing "REPLACEMENT"

hughezee

• Administrators
The images are pretty self-explanatory although I missed one two of the processes, e.g heavily greased shaft after test fit shot was taken :rolleyes:  you get the idea ;)
IMAG0495.jpgIMAG0496.jpgIMAG0497.jpgIMAG0498.jpg

Now get your 32mm (some are 36mm) socket and breaker bar ;)

IMAG0499.jpgIMAG0500.jpgIMAG0501.jpg

Now the main part is free, proceed as if you would be replacing your brake pads & discs.

IMAG0502.jpg
IMAG0503.jpgIMAG0504.jpgIMAG0505.jpgIMAG0506.jpgIMAG0507.jpgIMAG0508.jpgIMAG0509.jpgIMAG0510.jpg

FYI: When replacing discs of would normally tackle the retaining screws first as they can be tricky, these were stuck on the old hub so I just removed it completely and separated them from each other my workbench. 

IMAG0513.jpgIMAG0511.jpg
IMAG0515.jpg
IMAG0512.jpg
IMAG0516.jpgIMAG0517.jpg

Any questions for a particular model please don't hesitate to ask, as bolts on the calipers or carriers can vary. ;)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hmm.  changing the wheel bearing looks easier than I thought, but i've never done one before. Ignoring the removal and refitting of the brake caliper and disc, what else is involved in changing the wheel bearing?

It looks like the only additional steps are:

1) undo the big nut in the middle to release the hub

2) grease the shaft

3) slide on new hub

4) Tighten big nut in the middle (and set the locking mechanism with a chisel)

The more i think about it, it's a lot less complicated than doing the brakes - and I've had plenty of practice at that!

Anyone know where to get a rear wheel bearing kit for a CG4 for reasonable money?  (It's £111 at euro car parts - EEK)

• Administrators

Few crossed part numbers just for ref below, however your best option if you're faced with replacing one on a budget will likely be breakers yard m8y  ;)

SKF VKBA3952 Wheel Hub Bearing SKF VKBA3952 Wheel Hub Bearing Direct Details»

NTN HUB181-29 Wheel Hub Bearing NTN HUB181-29 Wheel Hub Bearing Direct Details»

FAG RW8178 Wheel Hub Bearing FAG RW8178 Wheel Hub Bearing Direct Details»

TIMKEN 512178 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly TIMKEN 512178 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly Direct Details»

SKF BR930276 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly SKF BR930276 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly Direct Details»

SNR R174.80 Wheel Bearing Kit SNR R174.80 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

SNR R174.47 Wheel Hub Bearing SNR R174.47 Wheel Hub Bearing Direct Details»

BCA 512178 Wheel Hub Bearing BCA 512178 Wheel Hub Bearing Direct Details»

OE 42200-S84-A51 Wheel Hub Bearing OE 42200-S84-A51 Wheel Hub Bearing Direct Details»

OE 42200-S84-C51 Wheel Hub Bearing OE 42200-S84-C51 Wheel Hub Bearing Direct Details»

OPTIMAL 912603 Wheel Bearing Kit OPTIMAL 912603 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

DT Components 512178 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly DT Components 512178 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly Direct Details»

Precision Seals & Bearings 512178 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly Precision Seals & Bearings 512178 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly Direct Details»

BRT Bearings PWK1613 Wheel Bearing Kit BRT Bearings PWK1613 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

Automotive Bearings ABK1613 Wheel Bearing Kit Automotive Bearings ABK1613 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

SPIDAN 27892 Wheel Bearing Kit SPIDAN 27892 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

FLENNOR FR901592 Wheel Bearing Kit FLENNOR FR901592 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

KAWE FR901592 Wheel Bearing Kit KAWE FR901592 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

NK 762634 Wheel Bearing Kit NK 762634 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

sbs 1401762634 Wheel Bearing Kit sbs 1401762634 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

BECK/ARNLEY 051-6162 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly BECK/ARNLEY 051-6162 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly Direct Details»

GSP 9230030 Wheel Bearing Kit GSP 9230030 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

MGA KR3627 Wheel Bearing Kit MGA KR3627 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

MAXGEAR 33-0549 Wheel Bearing Kit MAXGEAR 33-0549 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

BENDIX 050868B Wheel Bearing Kit BENDIX 050868B Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

PARTS MASTER PM512178 Rear Hub Assembly PARTS MASTER PM512178 Rear Hub Assembly Direct Details»

KAGER 83-1318 Wheel Bearing Kit KAGER 83-1318 Wheel Bearing Kit Direct Details»

• Like 1

Few crossed part numbers just for ref below, however your best option if you're faced with replacing one on a budget will likely be breakers yard m8y  ;)

Generally, I wouldn't baulk at buying 2nd hand parts, but it doesn't feel right buying a bearing because:

1) There's no real way to ensure the new bearing is useable (ie not worn already) until it is fitted. 

2) Would you trust a breaker to remove the old one nicely without contaminating it by dropping it into a muddy puddle?  they could clean the mud off the outside, but once the mud is inside the bearings.......

I wonder if i could get just a bearing and fit it in the hub - or get somebody else to fit it.  I presume it's not easy to remove the bearing from the hub or fit a new one without a press. 

I wonder if i could get just a bearing and fit it in the hub - or get somebody else to fit it.  I presume it's not easy to remove the bearing from the hub or fit a new one without a press.

I've rung the H dealer and a couple of factors today and it doesn't seem possible to buy the bearing by itself. So, it looks like I'll have to get a whole hub (if the new brake disc doesn't solve it).

• Founding Member

I've rung the H dealer and a couple of factors today and it doesn't seem possible to buy the bearing by itself. So, it looks like I'll have to get a whole hub (if the new brake disc doesn't solve it).

Do you have a local bearing place that sells to industry, I'm sure they could source the correct bearing at a fraction of the price.

Then the fun of pressing it in and out starts  :lol:

The images are pretty self explanatory although I missed one two of the processes, e.g heavily greased shaft after test fit shot was taken :rolleyes:  you get the idea ;)

That looks like a left rear, same as the one I need to replace. Is the big nut left hand threaded on the left hubs?

After the nut was removed, was there any difficulty in getting the hub off?

Out of interest, how much did the genuine Honda hub cost?

That looks like a left rear, same as the one I need to replace. Is the big nut left hand threaded on the left hubs?

After the nut was removed, was there any difficulty in getting the hub off?

Out of interest, how much did the genuine Honda hub cost?

I had a go at getting mine off tonight. The nut was not left handed, just normal RH threads.

Once the nut was off, the hub was still stuck on the shaft. I banged with a hammer in the place where the calliper fits and it moved forward a couple of mm. Then it didn't move any more. Think I need to bang evenly on the other side too.

Had to give up and put it back together because I discovered that the new hub was incorrect. It was 70mm from the back to the front face, but the old one was only 55mm.

The one in the photos above looks quite deep. How deep? What car is it?

• 1 month later...