Subscriptions & Donations ×

Drivers side suspension link

V6 Coupe (Y reg) an MOT failure due to bent drivers side suspension link leading to insufficient clearance.

Garage unable to source the part through normal 2nd hand channels. 

Any ideas?

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Simon S said:

Any ideas?

As said,  need a bit more info on what's bent...track rod? (although you say suspension link??)...as you mention " insufficent clearance" ...is that for the wheel // arch ???  Bent drop link ??

• Like 1

Thanks for the q's -

done some more digging: the part is the hub carrier, also referred to as the 'steering knuckle' = the arm is slightly bent and failed MOT due to the effect on clearances in the wheel arch.

I believe the part number (as released by Honda for a 1999 Accord Coupe) is 512 10S 84A 02. RHS Car assembled by Honda USA.

Ideal to locate the whole sub assembly as the wheel bearing etc could be hard to remove?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Simon S said:

Thanks for the q's -

done some more digging: the part is the hub carrier, also referred to as the 'steering knuckle' = the arm is slightly bent and failed MOT due to the effect on clearances in the wheel arch.

I believe the part number (as released by Honda for a 1999 Accord Coupe) is 512 10S 84A 02. RHS Car assembled by Honda USA.

Ideal to locate the whole sub assembly as the wheel bearing etc could be hard to remove?

That seems a bit odd, a bent knuckle causing a wheel / arch clearance issue.....it would take some hit to do that. 

Is the lower wishbone OK? Top one ?? .....where did you get the part number,  can't find a reference to it...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Simon S said:

the local garage doing the MOT and required remedial work has been on to Honda - hence the #

No adverse comment on the U or L wishbones...

Is it the drive side you said so offside front. ?? 

Looks like that part number is obsolete according to amayama.com but the replacement is 51210-S4K-A00..

You could try cross reference this to a UK replacement at a trade centre....you never know..!!!

Just check it is the right bit though.

As said previously it would take some bending that part, can you see any evidence of bending/cracking maybe???

• Founding Member
6 hours ago, PTR200S said:

As said previously it would take some bending that part,

Found something similar om my Mitsubishi last week (or rather a professional mechanic did when the car went in  for brake testing).  One of my rear polybushed axle locating bars was twisted and the bush over to one side.  Can't see how it could become twisted and wondering if it was like that since the refurb 15 yrs ago....  Still working out how to twist it straight again without damaging the powder coating....

• Like 1

PTR 200 S - many thanks for the revised PN - will follow up on your suggestion... It's the offside front, drivers side.

PaulS - I did hit an object lying in the road several years ago which damaged a drop arm, but this fandango with the steering knuckle got through at least 3 MOTs until now!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Simon S said:

but this fandango with the steering knuckle got through at least 3 MOTs until now!

With the same tester ? 🙃🙃🙃🙃

How did they decide it was the strut/knuckle that was "bent" ...visual ????    The fact the tyre is short on clearance to the arch isn't conclusive evidence..

just how much clearance is missing ????

Presumably its "bent " outwards ?......think I might be looking at the bottom arm or even suspension strut.....all guess work here of course because we don’t know the full story yet 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Is the reduced clearance actually causing any problem? Is tyre wearing badly?

From what Simon says, it's an mot problem,  but yes, as you, say the tyre should be wearing oddly too....just wonder if any of the eejits that put big wheels and narrow tyres trend have mot issues !!!!!

• Clap Hands 1

I don't think I can get out of the MOT fail due to inadequate clearance. Have not had uneven tyre wear or anything like that, despite the unit having been used in its current condition for a couple of years - and strangely at least 1 MOT from other testing facilities!

The part reference offered by PTR200S does indeed supersede the original equipment # given by Honda so looks to be the part we need.

However some of the directly connected items (bearing, ABS sensor et al) apparently are corroded on and unlikely to be re usable once dis assembled or pushed off - any ideas for a breaker source of the entire sub assembly? I'm already stretched on budget and would like to avoid going for new on the lot....

• Like 1

• Moderators

As you say, second hand sub assembly maybe the way to go if you really can't separate or reuse attached bits, just hope then it is not a pre-bent part 😂😂.....

maybe worth sending  a pm to hughezee, on here,  just in case he can help with a part from his broken cars......

On 6/3/2024 at 3:14 PM, Simon S said:

I don't think I can get out of the MOT fail due to inadequate clearance. Have not had uneven tyre wear or anything like that, despite the unit having been used in its current condition for a couple of years - and strangely at least 1 MOT from other testing facilities!

The part reference offered by PTR200S does indeed supersede the original equipment # given by Honda so looks to be the part we need.

However some of the directly connected items (bearing, ABS sensor et al) apparently are corroded on and unlikely to be re usable once dis assembled or pushed off - any ideas for a breaker source of the entire sub assembly? I'm already stretched on budget and would like to avoid going for new on the lot....

You could always try another mot station, such as the one that passed it last year.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To be sure about this reported fault I took the car back to the garage which did the MOT last year, and - surprise surprise - it passed!

Just goes to show that there's no science in some aspects of the test and the way it is carried out....

Expensive suspension rebuild seems to have been avoided. Thanks to Hughezee for the advice on the steering component...and welland99 for the suggestion.

• Clap Hands 1