Subscriptions & Donations ×

Zero Instrumentation !

Jon

Last summer on returning from a shopping trip I noticed that none of my Coupe's instruments were working. However on the next start up all was well and has been until yesterday when it happened again. 

I have searched for a fuse to clean up but none claimed to be responsible for instruments.

Before I enter the electrical haystack does anyone have any bright ideas that my assist ?

Many thanks in anticipation

Cheers Jon

• Sad 1

• Moderators

Do you use the car every day ?  

With this damp at the moment it could well be some main connection rather than the fuse that is the problem..worth checking the wiring over anyway, lookng for breakage  as well as checking for damp....

Thanks for taking an interest. Yes most days and boy has it been damp ! Agree that a 25 year old connection somewhere will be responsible. Haven't delved into it yet and was just hoping someone might know where the instruments get their power from. Honda in their wisdom don't give any clues.

Last time I had a loom or connection fault I just ran a new supply, saved many hours of anguish !

Cheers Jon

• Like 1

• Moderators

No 10 fuse, 15amp in the lower fuse box on the A pillar is the one I think...has a LOT of stuff connected to it. 

Have a look at this, shows Saloon and the Coupe options 

Wow !  You have gone to a lot of trouble. Many thanks !

I will try and digest your presentation this evening and plan to tear things apart tomorrow if it's not raining.

Cheers Jon

• Like 1

Progress update. Rightly or wrongly I am now looking for a dry joint in the cluster itself. Inspired by various YouTube videos one of which was by Stuart Hughes, thanks Stu ! The cluster now sits on my bench.  The three multi pin plugs and sockets looked pristine and were just immersed in alcohol for good measure and left to dry overnight. The cluster was partially dismantled and painstakingly the re-soldering of each and every connection on the circuit board is underway !

• Like 1

• Moderators

Crikey, proper surgery that !!

Keep us posted on the problem,  interested to know if you find the actual fault in the cluster. 

Good news on the wiring and plugs though 👍

• Founding Member

Indeed attention to detail and a laborious process; unfortunately one often without obvious result . But occasionally the problem is found and fixed that way even if you never notice any particular dodgy joint.  But by doing so, even without any change, you know dodgy joints are not the cause of the problem, so can be ruled out, hence nothing to lose other than your time...

Whilst separating plug in connectors, I usually spray on battery terminal protector grease on each removed end.  That seems to stop future corrosion, plus makes the connectorsd easier to slide in and out.  Just a thought... and I have never had any follow up problem after using it...

• Like 1

Indeed always a huge gamble. I eventually worked out how to remove the pcb without damaging it and OMG it was like the mother board in a PC ! To say my intentions were over ambitious is an understatement. Irrelevant but interesting it revealed the board was made in Brazil and the face manufactured by Ford ! Sad!y I had to concede defeat and have now started searching for a replacement unit. Yuk !

• Sad 1

As an alternative I am also investigating the repair of my unit which in many ways would be preferable.  Does anyone have any experience of either "Autotronics in Leicester" or "Cluster Repairs UK in Essex" ?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jon said:

As an alternative I am also investigating the repair of my unit which in many ways would be preferable.  Does anyone have any experience of either "Autotronics in Leicester" or "Cluster Repairs UK in Essex" ?

Can't help with either of these but maybe you could contact them and ask if they have done these before/ check their website , if any, for reviews ...you never know there might be someone who has actually had repair done on a Coupe !!!

• Like 1

• Founding Member
3 hours ago, Jon said:

"Cluster Repairs UK in Essex" ?

I used Cluster repairs in Essex for my Merc E350.  They said my unit was not repairable and - without asking - sourced me a suitable replacement, presumably from a breaker for what I thought was amuch higher price than a direct breaker sale would have been!  However teh replacement unit dod work faultlessly

• Like 2

Thanks Guys, I trawled through the reviews for both outfits which in the main were impressive with the common exception that neither have much Honda experience. This could just be that Honda clusters have a lower failure rate ? Who knows. Cluster Repairs quoted £150 and Autotronics £168.  Provisionally I decided to go with Autotronics whose service was supported by DHL who collect and return from one's home address. Cluster Repairs relied on the Post Office which was a worry.

So growing incredibly weary of the problem and with kind of a plan inplace I decided to go up the Pub via the Supermarket !

The unbelievable occurred ! All instruments performed perfectly for a total of six "stop starts"

Give me strength, divine intervention requested !

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jon said:

The unbelievable occurred ! All instruments performed perfectly for a total of six "stop starts"

A result surely !!

Your hard work paid off !!!

Just keep those fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

I would be delighted if that was so but when the cluster was first reinstalled the gauges were dead.

I too will keep fingers crossed but fear the problem  will re-occur 😱😱😱

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jon said:

I would be delighted if that was so but when the cluster was first reinstalled the gauges were dead.

Just presume they were in the process of powering up !!!  😜

You will feel better about it !!

Did they just come on the next time you went to start it ???

• Like 1

Thanks Guys it was about 24 hours later. I was all set with a Tom Tom to provide speed readings, and a full tank of fuel to make me feel better.

Aren't intermittent faults just the worse ?

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Mine did the same in the cold snap ,car hadn’t had any use and the battery was low!posted a message at the time!Charging the battery and using the car brought it back to life although driving around with no speedometer is not recommended! Had no problems since but the weather has been above zero recently so keeping fingers crossed too!!

• Like 2

Thanks Waddy just read your earlier posting. All sounds very much the same only mine was fine for a good six months between failures and my battery was fully charged. Also the first brief failure was during the summer so I am not sure how moisture and temperature actually contribute ?

While I as was researching I caught up with an American YouTuber who claimed his Coupe gauges started working again when his son thumped the top of the dash ! Didn't work for me however.

I am beginning to think that we might never know.....

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Jon said:

am beginning to think that we might never know.....

I had this with the climate control screen...on and off as it felt like it...and the speedo lcd odometer display kept fading..took out the central unit out cleaned all the connections, bought another one just in case..put the original back and its worked ever since !!

Also noted at the time that the display didn't come on right away, took a few goes at it....

Still got a spare central display ready to go though !!

• Like 1

Do you know if any of these functions are connected in any way to a multiplex unit ? I am aware of it's presence (or there might be two of them) but have no idea what it does.