Subscriptions & Donations ×

Headlamp adjustment

Andy Mc

Been out a few times in the evening in the coupe recently and getting flashed by oncomers now and again. 

Assumed its my beam and potentially from my nudge in the summer, so I pointed them down using the switch. One side moves more than the other using that, is there a manual adjustment to compensate for a wayward beam before I look a bending bits back with guesstimations?

• Like 2

• Moderators

On the top rear of the light is a crown wheel type affair, only about an inch diameter, moving that should lift it up and down...to the side of the lamp you will see another similar one, that should be left / right control..

Give them a good spray with lube and leave overnight before attempting to move them !!!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

Cheers. Will have a play and investigate sticky stuck motor too. Only other issue is bonnet being a pain due to cable sticking. Tried pouring lube down it to no avail. Hence why I've not been under yet already. Anyone have any ingenious solutions to firing fluid down to help free it up?

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

Cheers. Will have a play and investigate sticky stuck motor too. Only other issue is bonnet being a pain due to cable sticking. Tried pouring lube down it to no avail. Hence why I've not been under yet already. Anyone have any ingenious solutions to firing fluid down to help free it up?

Presumably you have got the cable off at the catch end ?

If so, try using one of the devices that they use for lubrication of motorcycle/ bicycle cables. Some are simple clamp type thing on the loose end,  just pour oil into reservoir and fasten cable upright overnight. Like this, just check cable size...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314290753141

There are some hydraulic types too for faster treatment....about 20 quid though..New cable might be cheaper  !

To be honest,  I have used them with a few successful lubes but usually the problem is a "stranded" cable in the length somewhere requiring a new cable.

I am assuming the bonnet catch moves OK without the cable attached in the above scenario? 😛

• Like 1

Hah no it doesn't. It sticks too despite being off and cleaned up already. I have to get a screwdriver or similar to knock and prod the latch back into position. 

Haven't unpinged cable from cabin side. Might investigate that and pull it through? But it doesn't look easily accessible so fearful of not being able to get it back 😬 doubt replacement cables are readily available in UK. 

In my experience anything crappie that could go wrong usually does for me.

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you have had the cable off the latch and it is definetly the cable sticking???

Just double check before you get down to pulling off inside, most Honda bonnet latches seem to "seize up" and its usually the mech that is the problem as it hangs out in the crud off the road.

Lack of use, as in maybe opened once a week or two doesn't help !!!! Ask me how I know !,,🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Did you get the headlight adjusted ??? Or are you still trying to get the bonnet open ! 😛😛😜😜🤪

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 2/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, Andy Mc said:

But it doesn't look easily accessible so fearful of not being able to get it back 😬 doubt replacement cables are readily available in UK. 

Sorry to hear this Andy, like Pete already said it's not always the cable, I have replaced a couple of them on members' motors and it was actually the latch at fault. Just avoid WD40 type lubes as these will only evaporate but not before stripping of grease between the latch assembly pins. I would try using a chain lubricant, something that will stick to the metal parts.

• Like 2

I have searched honestly but buried or not exists? The motor for moving the headlamp beam up and down. My offside one is intermittent. It's a bit better after some manual winding up and down, but i was up for a dissection and grease up job. I presume they come out of the unit. I got as far as unplugging and then it happily rotated a quarter but then nothing else. Left it be as didn't want to force anything. Was I close or missed something?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

I have searched honestly but buried or not exists? The motor for moving the headlamp beam up and down. My offside one is intermittent. It's a bit better after some manual winding up and down, but i was up for a dissection and grease up job. I presume they come out of the unit. I got as far as unplugging and then it happily rotated a quarter but then nothing else. Left it be as didn't want to force anything. Was I close or missed something?

You mean, you have actually got to the actuator motor, now ?  So did you spray it with something and are just trying to remove it ? 

" i have searched honestly but buried or not exists? The motor for moving the beam up and down "     What is it you are searching for ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PTR200S said:

You mean, you have actually got to the actuator motor, now ?  So did you spray it with something and are just trying to remove it ? 

" i have searched honestly but buried or not exists? The motor for moving the beam up and down "     What is it you are searching for ?

Remove it, take it apart, break it then prob buy another 

• Sad 1

Searched, as in on the forum 😅 not for it physically.

In other news. The bonnet cable was moving much better after a long drip feed soak. That is until I put it back together. Now it's worse. Given up with that bit and washed my noise box cone filter instead, but then noticed lower rad hose clamp held together by  crust 🥺 definitely next job.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Is the catch moving really easily then ?? No binding ?

Just the cable problem?

Not trying to teach anything,  just a suggestion,   just wondered if you have you checked the internal lever end for tightness too ?

Re headlight level actuator,  think its in two parts, not sure if they don't push clip together..its sometime since i had one apart..Stu better placed to advise really.

• Like 1

Any teachings and advice welcome.

Catch is all good. Soaked in white spirit and tooth brushed all crud away and freshly lubed up.

Doesn't seem much to the lever, but I see where you're coming from. It's tucked in amongst the trim isn't it so only a quick glance so far and thought naah. But will give further investigation.

I'm guessing regarding the actuator it's a ball joint into clip job. 20+Yr old plastic and me don't get on. All 4 wheels move fine manually, just that motor which is iffy. No big deal though.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Andy Mc said:

Any teachings and advice welcome.

Catch is all good. Soaked in white spirit and tooth brushed all crud away and freshly lubed up.

Doesn't seem much to the lever, but I see where you're coming from. It's tucked in amongst the trim isn't it so only a quick glance so far and thought naah. But will give further investigation.

I'm guessing regarding the actuator it's a ball joint into clip job. 20+Yr old plastic and me don't get on. All 4 wheels move fine manually, just that motor which is iffy. No big deal though.

How about some contact cleaner on the terminals and anything you can reach just in case it's some iffy terminal connection?

You could try warming the motor up with a hot airgun so the plastic a bit more amenable to letting go ??

• Like 2