Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion Shock Absorbers

Peter

I've just put the car in for mot and it has failed for both front dampers and garage has quoted 51605-sjl-023 as the part number but cannot find any. Anyone know where they are available the only options seem to be used ones from Japan (high postage) or a complete new set of aftermarket performance springs and dampers?

• Sad 3

• Moderators

Probably easier to get a complete set of shocks and springs...

That said, what did they fail on ? Bit unusual to get front shock failure...we're they leaking ?

Perhaps easier if you want stay standard is a couple of shocks from a breaker.

Here is one on ebay to get you started..breaking so worth checking out, watch for accident damage though. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115311315431

Check out these guys too, had some good stuff off them to repair accident damage on mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164594641713

• Like 1

Thanks for the links, I had spotted one (which only has one side) but not the other as it stepwagon in the title.  I've messaged a couple one cars being broken. 

The mot failure says:

Nearside Front Shock absorbers has negligible damping effect (5.3.2 (d))

Offside Front Shock absorbers has negligible damping effect (5.3.2 (d))

Which is quite bad. Has anyone tried coilovers on their Elysion? Seems strange that I have a choice of five different coilovers but no standard aftermarket dampers! Don't really was to lower the car.

I was looking at TEIN street Coilovers anyone tried them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314039612335?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Did they test the shocks on the machine or just press down on the body 🤣🤣🤣

Was there any sign of leakage ??? I could understand failure if they have leaked out but odd to get two failures without evidence....

Anyway, replacement after market stuff is available,  I have Bilstein on mine, shocks and springs, adjustable platforms, they work well.

Bilstein don't list the Elysion but give them a call and talk to them 🤪

https://www.bilsteinsuspensionstore.co.uk/       😉

Nothing wrong with Tein by the way, and Larkspeed have been around a loooooonnnnggg time !!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

It makes me wonder if anyone can actually refurb shocks?  It must be a relatively simple process , a bit like brake calipers in a way...

Plenty of hydraulic rams get refurbed....

In the world of motorcycles this is, and has been done, on a regular basis for years.....presumably cars can be done too but I have never gone down this route.

I do wonder though about the actual checking of shocks at MoT stations.  😜 The usual failure is oil leakage and shocks can go on for years with slight weepage... 

I suspect that these two front shocks may have been incorrectly diagnosed.... in the interests of making a job for the garage maybe ! Cynic? me? well of course !

• Haha 1

Hi PTR200S, do you have any details of your Bilstein set up (which series) and what the rough cost was. Just thinking about pressing the button on the TEIN set ep as they seem to have the softest springs of any coilovers. Cheers Peter 

• Administrators

I have been doing a bit of research and I have determined that there are only a couple of suppliers for these particular shock absorbers, KYB Japan and SACHS which is the OEM supplier. However, they don't appear to cross-reference with any other model outside Japan. Although the Tein setup seems to be the best option but even these cross-reference with other Honda models according to some data, how accurate this is I don't know.😐

Nevertheless, they look remarkably similar to the accord coupe shocks which is what I used on my JDM odyssey as I also drew a blank at the time and I haven't had any issues whatsoever and fitted perfectly, even the upper arm was the same too. 😉

The part number you mentioned 51605-SJL-023 is interchangeable with all the Eyslsions models of the same years. The only difference I can see compared with the part numbers listed below is there's a bracket for mounting the ABS cable and I can't imagine the Tein kit having this bracket anyway.🙃

Complete front right damper set references are: 51601-SJK-023, 51601-SJL-023, 51601-SJM-033, 251601-SJM-902, 251601-SJN-033

Complete front left damper set references are: 51602-SJK-N03, 351602-SJL-N03, 351602-SJM-043, 351602-SJM-903, 351602-SJN-043

Stand-alone front right shock the references are: 51605-SJK-023, 451605-SJL-023, 451605-SJM-033, 451605-SJN-033

Stand-alone front left shock the references are: 51606-SJK-J03, 551606-SJL-J03, 551606-SJM-003, 551606-SJN-003

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 2

Excellent thanks for the research Hughezee. I bottled out on getting coilovers and found supplier who could post the original dampers 51605-SJL-023 from Japan http://jp-carparts.com/ seems rather old fashioned as you have to contact them to get a quote but possibly just because of the different postage rates across the world. Hopefully they have fast postage, not cheap as it has cost me almost £400, I should have thought about this before buying a JDM car. The recommendation from the garage was to by a Toyota Alphard/Vellfire as you can buy import parts from Toyota UK with no problems.

• Moderators

Did you try some uk breakers first ? Could they not help ??

Presumably the jap parts are used ???

Still can't understand the "failure" of those front dampers.....

By the way , Cox Honda Motorparts will get stuff for you just like Toyota....

• Like 1

Tried Cox Honda, only had rear dampers not front, which is a bit strange. Not sure if there is a supply issue as the import special failed from his normal websites too. 

The dampers from http://jp-carparts.com/ are new, unfortunately no response front the couple of Elysions if could find being broken. I could find one used damper from the links above but would rather replace in a pair. 

My car has a nice set of custom fitted seat covers you could almost believe they were leather, does anyone know where they might have come from? The drivers seat cover is quite worn and could do with replacement.