Subscriptions & Donations ×

AC in 2004 Elysion.

• Moderators

The Elysion Climate Control is a stunning piece of kit and has worked really well for over four years.

Its really cold on the minimum setting but I noticed today , in the heat, when idling in traffic the temperature of the cooling air is not as low as normal  .

When I set off again the temperature of the air drops back to the original cool setting, the Climate control auto selects recirculation so it's not incoming air that is causing the issue.

I just wondered if anyone else noticed this ???

Could it need pumping up like the Coupe did ??

Just seems odd it works perfectly well at road speed, in the heat of the day, but sat at a traffic lights the incoming air from the vent increases its temperature slightly. 

• Founding Member

Are you sure you are simply not loosing cooling from air passing over the AC rad whilst sat still?  As I understand it, whilst on recirculating mode you are only recycling the existing cool air which heats up before being sucked back in again but that recycled air itself does not get cooled without forward motion...

• Like 3

• Moderators

Not sure, I would have thought there should be enough capacity to cover a standstill situation as the cabin temperature rises at that point...just when the ac should be working hard...

However,  interesting point, thanks, on the recirculation idea...I can obviously override that part and go to external air intake even whilst in auto mode.

Tomorrow is another hot day predicted,  34C, same as today so I will try overriding the recirculation when sat at traffic lights , I can tell the temperature change withing 30 seconds, cold to , erm, not so cold !!!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, hughezee said:

Like Paul said airflow will help, oddy is the same but it is due a re-fresh too, coupe seems to be fine though.🤨

Yep, never noticed it in the Coupe,  always full on especially after the refresh.

Might book Elly in for a good pumping if no better today 🤪

• Like 2

• Moderators

OK, update, definitely better with external air engaged but really if the internal recirc was being used surely that is cooling already cooler air ...using external it's sucking in very warm, warmer than recirc, air from outside...needs a bigger cooling affect to lower temperature, shirley!!!

I think a pressure check is warranted. Wonder if protyre are still doing their free checks.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, PaulS said:

Now it is cooler, you might not need AC as much.... but still good to have it working properly....

I actually use the ac quite a lot and it's great in winter for shifting misty windows !!!

Well, Protyre did the job, drained , pressured  with no problem and refilled.

There was 340grms in the system and there should be 750 !!

Under test the lowest temperature obtainable after a few minutes running , bearing in mind the size of the interior was 8C ....cold enough I think 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

It would probably drop another couple of C with more time running, as in a journey for instance. 

• Founding Member

Well done.  Yes a leak somewhere I think, albeit slow.

8C is definitely cool enough for me in a car...much cooler and the inside of the windows might start icing up....

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PaulS said:

Well done.  Yes a leak somewhere I think, albeit slow.

Yes, trying to decide if it is a leak or just the 4.5 years between checking the system....how much gas is lost over a period of time normally? I know it does degrade generally but what is an acceptable loss in time terms as opposed to a leak ???

• Administrators
On 7/22/2022 at 10:15 PM, PTR200S said:

Yes, trying to decide if it is a leak or just the 4.5 years between checking the system....how much gas is lost over a period of time normally? I know it does degrade generally but what is an acceptable loss in time terms as opposed to a leak ???

The refrigerant should be replaced every 2-3 years according to manufacturers of R-134a and the losses can vary and tend to be mostly at the schrader valves or the receiver drier seals.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

The refrigerant should be replaced every 2-3 years according to manufacturers of R-134a and the losses can vary and tend to be mostly at the schrader valves or the receiver drier seals.

OK, so just a normal situation,  bit like the Coupe was..

Out in Elly this morning the difference is noticeable.  I was able to set it at 21C and there was a good cool airflow coming in.

Normally,  I had to set it at about 18C to get the same effect,  the other thing that was really noticeable was the recirculation switched to outside air within a few minutes.  It had been taking 20 minutes or even just not switching out at all.

NB , outside temperature today has been around 27C , so reasonably warm !!