Subscriptions & Donations ×

​Honda Legend KB1 Whine OR Whistling Noise

Cryistic

• Founding Member

I'm getting a Whine/Whistle when hitting 30-40mph for the first time when the car is cold rising with Revs/road speed, goes away quickly and I cant make it do it again once it's gone away, sounds like it's coming from the Passenger side rear, it's done it the last two times I've driven it.

It sounds like the noise you used to get from an unshielded car radio back in the day, but only happens once in a specific speed range when the car is still warming up.

Have any of the other Legend drives experienced this?

• Sad 1

• Founding Member

It's probably the Center bearing for the drive shaft, if it was the rear diff I would expect the note to change when you load up the wheels in a corner.

I'll talk to the dealer tomorrow, he seemed a decent guy. I'm within my 30days so I can return the car if need be.

• Founding Member

This goes into Honda Northampton tomorrow, so I'll know more when i pick it up from the main stealers.

Looking into it a return to the dealer is unlikely, as he can argue age and milage, however I will be complaining about the fact the car has Coil overs fitted and he didn't tell me .........

• Like 1

• Founding Member

They cant get it to do it, have checked the car over and it needs a couple of new tyres and one of the front shocks is leaking.

I think I need to get it to you and sort out a shopping list to get it all sorted, I would like to fit standard shocks and springs all round to get the ride height back to what it should be.

First item is to sort some tyres I think.

There is a video from Honda I'll try to attach.

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

So that's what the underside of my KB1 looks like! Hopefully in a slightly better state than yours. Are you sure it only needs 2 tyres and not 2 new wheels?

If you keep it we need to pool resources.

Typical also that the Main Stealer can replicate the "issue". Thought that only happened when the Stealer is liable for the cost of fixing the problem.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Cryistic said:

They cant get it to do it, have checked the car over and it needs a couple of new tyres and one of the front shocks is leaking.

I wouldn't expect the dealer to free run the car on the ramp to listen to the bearing, but a diagnostic mic clipped on the prop guard and a quick test drive could have pinpointed or eliminated it at least?

5 hours ago, Cryistic said:

I think I need to get it to you and sort out a shopping list to get it all sorted

Just making you aware that the exhaust needs to be removed to replace the whole assembly, that's assuming it's the bearing?

• Administrators
17 hours ago, RevvinKevin said:

So that's what the underside of my KB1 looks like! Hopefully in a slightly better state than yours.

To be fair after a good wash underneath to get rid of the salt and a bit of wax treatment it would look pretty decent, the main structure looked rust free.😉

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Cryistic said:

The car is going back to the dealer next week for a full refund, not as described under the consumer goods act.

Sorry to hear this Richie, but you have to draw the line somewhere and if I was facing the prospect of a new prop shaft, timing belt & water pump, new shocks all around etc I would be doing the same thing TBH.

• Like 3

It wasn't Listers Honda Northampton either, car is far to old for them to sell

Oh ok my bad..

I'd rather not reveal the dealer as he's been pretty good so far.

Probably wanted to say as he's been not pretty good so far ?

• Founding Member

So refund was Issued today, the Legend is now the dealers problem.

The diff whine was really bad today so I think I've done well to get it back without losing any money on it.

Even with the issues it just looked great on my drive but I would never be able to relax with it if I had kept it, it hadn't really been looked after at all but still drove well apart from the slightly choppy suspension.

I'm off to look at a couple of CR-Vs and Subaru Outback 3.6 over the next couple of week, it's a shame that 2.4 Accord automatic tourers don't seem to come up for sale at all.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Thanks for taking the time to price up the work I asked for Stu, ultimately for nothing, it was appreciated.

Great car but Honda UKs indifference towards them will make them really hard to keep going in the future.

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

It would be nice to know who the dealer was because if he has sold a lemon and offered to either pay to correct it or give a full refund, I think that is worth shouting about. Unless the dealer stipulated you must not disclose of course.

There was lovely KB1 for sale in Southampton area a couple of weeks ago. Owned by a Honda dealer mechanic too

• Like 2

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Cryistic said:

Thanks for taking the time to price up the work I asked for Stu, ultimately for nothing, it was appreciated.

No problem Richie, just watch out for underbody rust on the scoobies haven't seen a good one for a good while, despite them looking good on the exterior, unless it was a recent-ish import. Nonetheless, the 3.6 is a rocket and not too bad on juice either, good luck with the search mate. 👉🏼

• Like 1