Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rear license plate with parking sensor

KingK0ng

Hello guys, i'm soon going 2 din head unit but i do not want to install a backup camera even though i have an input. I personally prefer the sensors but since i don't want to modify my bumper i though why not going with the license plate with integrated sensors. Since our rear license plate is deeply embedded in the bumper it should be discrete and i like the idea. Just when i was going to order it i had a last second though and probably saved my money or not.

20190909-151118aaa.png

Yellow dots represent the sensors, three in total. The center sensor is straight but those on sides are slightly oriented toward the outside. Now what cause me an halt is that since our license plate is deeper in the bumper i fear that the side sensors may see the red portion of the bumper as an obstacle and beeping continuously.. I don't know how wide or narrow can be the angle of degree of those utrasounds but i'm not confident... I'm really novice to that stuff so any input would be appreciated.  

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Having retrofitted sensors in another car, I would advise you to ensure there is no metalwork in or closely around the vacinity of the mounted sensors (even behind in a strengthening bar behind the plastic bumper) else the sensor will be affected by that and beep continually too.  Guess how I found that out!!!  If there is any metal work, I suggest to cut a hole in the strenthening bar, say 5cm round the centre of the mounted sensor.

Also, do not be too over-reliant on sensors, they help but are not foolproof.  I would  be worried that the rear corners are not going to be covered by sensors - a friend of mine was caught out by a low concrete post to his nearside rear which he could not see....  Still, you will be no worse off than we are now without any sensors.

• Like 2

PaulS, those license plate sensors are in most case going to be installed on cars having the license plate on the trunk which is metal. Why would they do such thing if metal was an issue ? not contradicting your statement and experience but just raisng a question. On the coupe the strengthening bar is around 20cm below the sensors on my picture, even if steel indeed cause issues you think it isn't enough clearance ?

https://gearflag.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/myth-about-steel-bumper-affecting-parking-sensor-performance/

Also found this article about this subject. Any though ?

Now if we put aside the metal issue, from what i undestand in order to make the sensor beeping it must receive its own signal back from the obstacle. The red portion in the bumper has a steep angle so it's not a parallel situation and my guess is there chance that the wave can't bounce back directly to the sensor itself because of this. Still only suppositions.. I guess it's going to be a situation like try and see what happens..💩 

Edit : After much thinking i'm going a slight different and probably safier route. I'm going to use only one or two ( not decided yet ) sensor attached on the edge of the big plastic bumper frame for the license plate and between or on the sides of the two license plate lamps depending if using one or two. I'll do the same in front bumper, only one or two sensors.

I don't need a bunch of them in any corner of the car really, i'm confident in my parking "skills" 😝, it's just that i think would be useful when almost parked and in straight line to help keep a safe clearance, same when going out of parking. What do you think ? 

• Administrators
On 3/21/2022 at 10:09 PM, KingK0ng said:

I personally prefer the sensors but since i don't want to modify my bumper i though why not going with the license plate with integrated sensors.

I have an electromagnetic sensor strip and it works well and is completely invisible, but it is mainly to alert me of anything I can't see. Like any sensors, not something that can be completely trusted for every eventuality as @PaulS also suggested...

35 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I have an electromagnetic sensor strip and it works well and is completely invisible, but it is mainly to alert me of anything I can't see. Like any sensors, not something that can be completely trusted for every eventuality as @PaulS also suggested...

I though about that option as well. What brand it is ? It is consistent ? because i read mixed reviews about electromagnetic sensors.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, KingK0ng said:

because i read mixed reviews about electromagnetic sensors.

It's a RAC branded product, nothing special but works flawlessly on people & children, which is why I fitted it and we have schools nearby and kids are always running around obliviously behind cars and this has always alerted me. As for using it as a parking aid don't really need anything and it can be hit miss if you don't truly understand its limits, hence why they get mixed reviews 🙄 but it works great for me.👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight, i finally ordered my kit of ultrasonic sensors. I'll use 2 in rear inside the license plate bumper frame on each corner. For the front not decided yet where i could install them. If i can't found a good spot i'll not install them, to me the rear are more important and could deal with them only.

• Like 1