Subscriptions & Donations ×

Which Engine Oil 2004-2013 Honda Elysion 3.0 V6

hughezee

• Administrators

This is a common question with the problems that can arise as a result of using the incorrect engine oil and problems I have seen when the Honda 0W20 p/n: 08232P99K4LHE engine oil has been used in older engines, which results in oil leaks, high oil consumption and excessive valve train wear and engine noise.

So I have illustrated a few of the most common oils used by myself or recommended by other members, so if you are looking for just a standard oil I would recommend Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 Engine Oil or NAPA 10W-40 SS Premium Engine Oil (Formely Trade Tec). Owners looking for good fuel economy and good performance I would highly recommend Mobil 1 ESP X3 Engine Oil  0W-40.👍

N211-1-square.png

shell.jpg

MOBIL ESP.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Trying out a semi synth 10/40 SS Premium from Trade Tec..... oil supplied to the "trade" supposedly..... I buy the stuff in 20 litre drums but they supply up to a 1000 litre ones !!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Being "old skool" a viscosity of 0Wxx scares me, it implies no lubricity at all although i know that's not quite the case.

It just sounds wrong somehow.

I'm glad what i run needs 10W40 so i don't get scared by the oil needs! ;):D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

I have been using Magnatec oil recently, in the Elysion, rather than the tradetec stuff, just an experiment really .........10/40 grade.

Just checked it today, half way down the dipstick level...and black with just 3000 miles...

I do a lot of short journeys which doesn't help so frequent oil changes required but the Magnatec seems to have been used as its not leaking all over the floor !

Back on tradetec I think😂

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

I'm pleased with the Tradetec 10W40 in the Sterling, seems to be staying clean (although i've not used it much this year for various reasons) and the tappets quiet.

I'll be using it again and (although not fully decided yet) i'll likely be changing the Volvo from the Mannol to the Tradetec as well. The Mannol is ok but it has an "aroma", not as bad as GTX but it's there. It's not unpleasant but at the same time, it's not that pleasant either.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Which Engine Oil 2004-2013 Honda Elysion 2.4 3.0 3.5 V6
  • The topic was pinned
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Just a heads up re Tradetec oil which a number of us are using.

Alliance Automotive have changed the oil name to Napa which i have been informed is still tradetec which was made by Valvoline in the past.  Not sure who refines it now !!

Napa is an American group and appears to have done a deal with Alliance Automotive,  or maybe taken it over ?? We manage to lose all our own industries to overseas companies,  government needs a slap for allowing it.

Anyway , just bought 20 litre drum of oil , 5 litres brake cleaner and white grease.....all marked Napa now 1🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

You beat me to it Pete! I found similar while hunting for some ATF (for general use) and have been investigating it since. Seemingly Alliance Automotive are a UK company and are either using the NAPA name under licence or selling their oil but it is the same bottles and contents, just a rebranding. ;):D

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Which Engine Oil 2004-2013 Honda Elysion 3.0 V6