Subscriptions & Donations ×

Fog light failure, any new ones - & where is the fuse?

PaulS

• Founding Member

Spare front fog lights used to be available on ALi Express but they are no longer available there.  Does anyone know of another supplier?  Anyone have one sat around?

Also where is the fuse located? presumably blown when the RH bulb blew as the good LH lamp does not light from the car's wiring when I removed the RH lamp from the car.  But I cannot seem to find the fuse.

Its my drivers side (RH) lamp which failed, LH is OK when volts applied to it.  Got it off, but the phillips screws are rusted up [also now chewed up through trying!] and I cannot seem to get in to change the bulb etc. 

All help and ideas gratefully received.

• Sad 1

• Moderators

Spotlight ???

Or do you mean front fogs ???

Think the fuse for these is on the wiring harness near the battery,  separate fuse... Stu will be along to tell us where it ACTUALLY  is , soon !!!!

Have a look here for getting at lights...

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Fog light failure, any new ones - & where is the fuse?
  • Administrators
13 hours ago, PaulS said:

Spare front fog lights used to be available on ALi Express but they are no longer available there.  Does anyone know of another supplier?  Anyone have one sat around?

5+ years have passed since I found them on AliExpress and sent you a link, I cant seem to find any other suppliers atm. I will have look in my spares too. 🤞

13 hours ago, PaulS said:

Also where is the fuse located? presumably blown when the RH bulb blew as the good LH lamp does not light from the car's wiring when I removed the RH lamp from the car.  But I cannot seem to find the fuse.

Whether it was a factory fitted fogs (integrated into the car loom) or the dealer kit option (separate kit) the fuse is located next to the battery like Pete said.👍

20210721-100256%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Fuse found thanks to Pete & Stu - the label had come off my fuse holder at some point so it no longer said Fog light.  However the fuse was fine!  I will chase the issue of no power to the good lamp around a bit more...  Too hot at present outside so will hava another good go at getting to the bulb in the non-working lamp in my coolish cellar!  There is a fair bit of corrosion I can see so maybe the bulb is actually OK, maybe its just the surrounding crud & bad contacts rather than clean metal which stops it working...

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, PaulS said:

Too hot at present outside so will hava another good go at getting to the bulb in the non-working lamp in my coolish cellar! 

There is a fair bit of corrosion I can see so maybe the bulb is actually OK, maybe its just the surrounding crud & bad contacts rather than clean metal which stops it working...

Yep, bloody stupidly hot , another beer over here if you please 🥵🥵

I think you might be right on the crud point, especially if it's got to the lamp holder. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Spent 3 hrs in my cellar getting the fog lamp apart.  Every single bolt was corroded up and nothing would undo despite soaking overnight in penetrating fluid..  The drill, dremel, hammer and chisels did their respective magic though and now the lamp is in as many pieces as when it was new (maybe more) just a few seized bolts to drill out and rethread.  Some minor deamage to the structure though nothing unrepairable if I cannot find another lamp in good condition.  And yes, the bulb had gone.  There was a lot of crud inside which I cleaned up with the dremel wire brush, but surprisingly, the connections were fine.  I presume there used to be some silvering on the lamp inside rather than a 2mm layer of white alloy corrosion.... 

For future reference. its probably not worth the bother doing all this to end up with a lamp full of silicone sealant (yes, 3 gaskets also rotted and broke on dismantling....)

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Well my fog light is now "mended" - all screws were seized and would not drill out neatly. There was no lens, hence needing to get it into real bits to fit the new lens. Now all bundled back together, the inner sprayed with chrome paint and silicone sealed. It works again and is now fitted. 

There was nothing wrong with the fuse -  the connection from the battery had snapped off the ring terminal supplying the fuse.  That probably happened some time back when I got a new battery fitted at National in Dumfries - they were a bit clueless and careless.  Never noticed the non-fogs for a good long time as the switch lit up! 

Even though I had to seriously bend the bracket to get the lamp out and open the bulb compartment, I bent it all back straight again and refitted it.  Bumper back on and 2 working fogs again.  Labour: 18 hrs (mostly due to screws corroded in and lamp having to be cut open & fixed up again), cost £2.00 (new bulb), £3 (new lens), 2 worn out Dremmel wire brushes and cutting disc, and 2 broken drills, one a left hand drill bit!

No doubt the repaired lamp will not last an overly long time but I'll see. It has a nice new lens and new bulb.  Meanwhile if one turns up anywhere, I'll buy it....just in case....

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators

Good job there, Paul,.......Brilliant,  love the effort in "recycling repair" !!! 

That will show the greenies !! Who you can bet would have thrown it away, nobody repairs anything now 🙄 except us !!!

Some saving in labour there too, 18 hrs !!!, say £20 an hour .? All done for free,  OK, couple bust tools as well but it shows the effort!!!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1