Subscriptions & Donations ×

Flat Battery

• Moderators

The battery was flat on my Sterling yesterday, was a bit miffed as it's a new battery but i haven't used it for a couple of months thanks to CV19, mainly because a lot of the people i've seen out on the road couldn't drive so i avoided taking the Sterling out, just in case!

It did get covered in pollen though, not sure on the spider webs either...........

• Sad 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

The battery was flat on my Sterling yesterday, was a bit miffed as it's a new battery but i haven't used it for a couple of months thanks to CV19, mainly because a lot of the people i've seen out on the road couldn't drive so i avoided taking the Sterling out, just in case!

It did get covered in pollen though, not sure on the spider webs either...........

Did you charge the battery before you installed it? , trickled it at all during the two months? 

Seems as if a lot have batteries have died... through the virus lockdown AND from the hot dry weather which doesn't help batteries apparently. Just spoken to two people today who have maintained (trickle charge) their batteries and yet the batteries have given up when put back into use.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It arrived fully charged, i used the car once or twice from lockdown start butonly until i realised how many muppets were about!

Trickle charging isn't an option and given the hot weather, trickle charging and the heat could easily kill it.

I just hope it's ok with a recharge or a jump and leave the jump pack connected for the first 5-10 minutes to ballast the alternator and battery.

• Like 5

• Moderators

I jumped the Sterling today and took it for a nice drive. Couple of hiccups at first as the battery was too low to take the charge but got over that by leaving the jump pack connected a bit longer.

Seems ok now, the magic eye is green so fingers crossed i've got away with it! ;):D

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Very true Pete but in fairness, the magic eye was half black/half green before i jumped it. It's not completely green now (signifying still low on charge) so i'm aware it isn't fully charged yet.

By the shortest, most direct route, it was 6.2 miles to where i went and similar back. I took the "scenic route" which is just under double that (11.5 miles) and used it in Sport mode, only hitting the "S4" (overdrive to get normal 4th gear) above 50mph keeping the revs to a minimum of about 3000rpm most of the time to increase the charge rate overall.

I'll make sure i use it a bit more over the next few days/weeks and for the first few uses, i'll start it the first time each day with the jump pack to give it that bit more "recovery" time.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'll make sure i use it a bit more over the next few days/weeks and for the first few uses, i'll start it the first time each day with the jump pack to give it that bit more "recovery" time.

That's the ticket ! Use it more !!

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1