Subscriptions & Donations ×

Front Wheel Bearing 2005 -2010 KB1 Honda Legend 3.5 V6

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Good News!  Lennie Legend now sounds like he should instead of a combine harvester, on a gravel road.  Popped over to Stu’s earlier and he got to work on the bearing. I must say Cox Autoparts were great, the price of the bearing was reasonable (£117), it was a genuine Honda part and even better, it arrived a week quicker than expected.  Right, back to the action shots...

Here’s the bad bearing in situ just after removing the wheel:

DB50-C174-61-F3-417-D-9040-4639-B9-B5-D6

Followed by removing the monster calliper:

29-A7-FDEC-B563-4-F81-9-A56-04-C87-E8-B1

Close up of the offending noise making bearing:

EA6-BF068-FF39-41-F2-96-C5-EE9-FECAF59-E

Bearing removed, notice how dirty and contaminated it is, this was obviously cleaned thoroughly :

020-B0-B58-61-E1-492-A-85-D9-687-BC543-D

Close up of old bearing:

962-D0145-9-FE4-408-D-B6-A0-BF190-CDEF96

Brand spanking new sparkling bearing just out the box:

4-C0-B9-A73-B94-E-49-CA-82-AF-9-EB95-ED1

And finally, new bearing fitted to Lennie:

4-F187-A77-5799-479-F-B216-69-C72129476-

I’m happy to report that Lennie is now operating in stealth mode again and I can now hear the sat nav over the noise which was getting worse, despite driving and braking like a nun for the past few weeks. All is now calm, MOT due January and he should pass.

Stu reckoned it had a few more weeks and it would have finally failed.  The comparison - when you turn the new bearing in your hand to the old one - was really noticeable, the new one was tight and turned smoothly, the old one you could actually feel the grating and it wasn’t smooth either.  As soon as Stu felt it he said “that’s toast”.

Happy Days, I am somewhat relieved to say the least. Thanks again to Stu as always for spending a cold few hours fitting the new bearing!  It was cold...I didn’t see my testicles until about 4pm! 😆. Be interesting to see the state of the innards of the old bearing too, I think they were literally ground to paste!

• Like 5

• Administrators

Great to see you today mate and just glad it is sorted now, for those finicky amongst us 😋 rest assured the grease that was forced out of the old bearing and all grime was cleaned and rust & oxidisation sanded with 800 grit paper then mating surfaces were cleaned with lashings of brake cleaner for good measure and then a light film of grease applied to the area to aid fitting and help prevent future moisture ingress, also new 36mm on order as I only had 32mm 34mm spare.😑

• Like 4
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Thanks 1

• This topic was pinned and unpinned