Subscriptions & Donations ×

Which Engine Oil 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe 2.0

hughezee

• Administrators

As a follow up to past discussions regarding engine oil and the problems with Honda 0W20 p/n: 08232P99K4LHE when used in older engines, which results in oil leaks, high oil consumption and excessive valve train wear and engine noise.

So I have illustrated a few of the most common oils used by myself or recommended by other members, so if you are looking for just a standard oil I would recommend Mobil Super 2000 10W40 or Castrol GTX 10W40 (not Magnatec or Edge). Owners looking for improved fuel economy and performance I would strongly recommend Smith and Allans Ultra 10w-30 Engine Motor Oil.👍  (no other brand of 10W30)

castrol.jpg

mobil.jpg

Ultra 10W-30 5LT.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: the information within this topic has been kindly contributed by one of our experienced members and has been extensively researched and found to be correct by independent testing or external resources.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

10W40 is the industry standard in the UK nothing wrong with using it as you get good MPG from the (2.0) F20B5 engine anyway, but I've found 10W30 delivers better fuel economy and performance after years of testing. ;)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Please what's the recommended engine oil for Honda F23Z5 VTEC? 

When I started using the engine with the original engine oil, everything was fine but after I've changed the oil with total 10w40 fully-synthetic, the engine starts to vibrate and I've to heat it for at least 15 minutes. Also when I switch on the ac , it'll be vibrating.

Please I need help. Thanks

Sebastian

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi and welcome to the club, I'm very familiar with this F-series engine as I had one of the F23Z5's in my former Accord Type-V, anyway these engines are very fussy regards oil and I found a really good oil following years of research, although I am testing out some 5W40's and allot of top brands still don't cut it in the F-series. 🙄

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Thanks my brother. My recent mileage should be at 2,000 miles approx. Service time is always less than 5 months.

But since this one is a VTEC should I go for 5w40, 0w40 or 10w30 semi-syn?

Thanks.

Good call on the regular servicing, I would go for either 10W40 Mobil Super, 10W40 Castrol GTX (if you don't mind the chip van aroma from GTX) or the 10W30 mineral (Smith & Allan only) The 0W40 is a cracking oil Motul/ Castrol or Mobil but it will leak out and engine noise will increase guaranteed. Also, have you considered an additive to stabilize the current oil, with the warmer weather upon us Wynns Super Charge will likely resolve your niggle?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Welcome aboard Sebastian! Your engine isn't one i know well but like Stu i would go for the 10W40 semi-synth. Although my engines are different (C27 V6s), they don't seem to like fully synth and prefer 10W40 semi-synth - the latest oils aren't always good for older engines that were designed to run what was available 20-30 years ago. ;):D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Which Engine Oil 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe 2.0i
  • The topic was pinned
  • 11 months later...
  • Administrators

Well, it's that time again 😁 another 20L of 10W30 from S&A as I am running low and FYI I have finished testing for 10w40 semi 5w40 fully synthetic claimed oils. Even my favourite contender just didn't perform as well as those already listed at the start of the topic, but the F-series engine never lies. ☹️

• Clap Hands 2

• The title was changed to Which Engine Oil 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe 2.0