Subscriptions & Donations ×

Hopefully picking up a Honda Coupe 2.0 petrol manual Today

Farooq

• Moderators

Welcome to the best Coupe forum on the net !!

Only just seen your post so I presume you have already collected it ?

Obviously the usual rust suspects and fluid levels , leaks , not withstanding I would check on interior trim, drivers seat bolster, all electrical gear working like seats, air con, fans etc. Have a check in spare wheel well for a swimming pool too !!!

I presume you will be getting it with an MOT but again presume you have checked the mot history and followed up any past failure?

Service history if just two owners then I would expect quite a bit of paperwork, manuals and at least two sets of keys plus , possibly, a masterkey.  Does it have a working fob and locks too?

We need pictures, impressions and thoughts posted here too !!!!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

Hi

Had a look, going to get back to him.  Gear change is not the smoothest at lower speeds, especially reverse.   Clutch is high. There was water in the boot where the spare wheel is located.   Drivers seat bolster worn/split.  Considering there have only been two owners not including current, hardly any paperwork service wise, nothing to show cambelt has been done.  What should I offer?

• Sad 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Farooq said:

hoping to pick up a 2000 Honda Coupe 2 litre petrol manual today

Welcome to the club and great choice of motor BTW and the way you describe a gearbox niggle it could be a former members car. FYI it had a allot of work done to it and he had a spares car with another gearbox. I assume the current owner has never joined the club and has only had it a short while if the car I'm thinking of?

59 minutes ago, Farooq said:

What should I offer?

All things considered, 400 would be my top offer with the intention of fixing myself also depends on how much you want it...

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 1/5/2020 at 7:32 PM, Farooq said:

The name Mr T Trumper appears on the invoice for the stainless steel exhaust.

Yeah I know the car, although never worked on it, unfortunately, did buy some bits for it but Tom had more important things going on in his life at the time...

• Like 2

• Moderators

For what it's worth, i'm with Stu on the value, i'd say £400 would be the top money on a car with so many niggles though. I'd probably start seriously low, £150-200 and work my way up. If there's something that particularly takes your fancy about the car then perhaps go a bit above the £400 to secure it but only if you really can justify it to yourself.

I know you want one and have waited already to find a manual but they do come up from time to time, you may find if you wait, another in better condition comes up with a bit more history and fewer niggles.

Worrying that after just 2 owners the service history has completely disappeared, have you checked the MoT history online?

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

17 hours ago, Farooq said:

nothing to show cambelt has been done.

I would budget for renewing the cam belt, water pump and antifreeze, plus an oil/filter change minimum. However walk away from the car if it has that horrible red OAT antifreeze in, if the change has been done properly it shouldn't (in theory at least) be a problem but too many people don't understand the interaction between OAT and traditional EG (Ethylene Glycol) antifreeze which causes many problems.

Safer for your sanity (and your wallet!) to find a car that has had the correct antifreeze used. Also even if they've used Honda antifreeze, one of them (can't think which just now - Stu!?!) doesn't work well in the older engines so don't assume that just because the seller waves an invoice from Honda for antifreeze under your nose that it's had the correct one!

The water in the boot is likely to be sunroof drains, there are other causes but they would be my first port of call, also the gutters around the boot aperture tend to leak (and later rot) on the spot weld between the front and back half, usually a few inches back along the gutter from where the hinges are.

Sunroof drains are a fairly easy fix but some of the others tend to be harder and more expensive.

I think the other bits have been covered, as long as it drives as it should with no strange sounds of any description and the underside isn't rotten, you should be ok, especially if you get it at a sensible price.

Nearly forgot - welcome aboard! ;):D

• Like 1