Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion Low battery logo on dash "SMART KEY"

PTR200S

• Moderators

Hmm, all belts check out ok, it is actually charging too..... no ignition light on, just the legend on the dash that's blinking....

Further investigation required, out with the Japanese manual English as she is writ....

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thinking outside the box here Pete (or maybe i'm just out of my tree) is there a sensor for battery temperature?

Second thought is does it have a second battery in the back somewhere to power things when the engine is off, things like a DVD player or something.

Third option if you haven't used it for a few days is that the battery voltage had dropped to a level where it was warning you the battery was low and needed either using or charging indepently - if the logo has disappeared now you've used it, that might be the case.

Enjoy your Jinglish reading! :P

• Like 2

• Moderators

The answer to the first two options is no..... the latter however, I have now also considered and now discounted as it has been used everyday for the last four weeks at least and as the alternator is good.......

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just discovered some info in the , erm, manual !  

Its to do with the battery in the key card !!!!

Had I actually  read the legend on the dash fully I might have got there earlier.... 😢  The font 2 (!!!) description on the dash actually has "card " written in front of the flashing bit that says " battery low" but of course when driving the important bit is the flashing stuff plus the fact that the card and battery low is separated by the picture of a battery !!!

Pulling the key card apart gives access to the batteries, two of, flat ones designated 2012.  Checking voltage reveals 2.88 volts each against a nominal voltage of 3v... obviously below par but not far off.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Ok, quick update... replaced the two batteries in the key card and the legend has gone off the dash display.

New batteries are 3.3 volts ish, looks to be that if the voltage falls below 2.9 or thereabouts  then the dash display comes up.. Its in the centre cluster surrounded by km/litre and other info so not immediately apparent what its about.

What I don't know is if the battery goes completely flat does the engine stop?? or fail to restart after the next stop?

Anyway, if you have an Elysion and this comes up on the dash then you now know what it is !!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Ditto ^^^^^^^!!!

2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

New batteries are 3.3 volts ish, looks to be that if the voltage falls below 2.9 or thereabouts  then the dash display comes up.

I suspect Honda took that into account, 0.4V drop might not be much but as a percentage of 3.3V is about 12% - again, not much of a drop. Usually though a 0.5V drop on a dry cell is considered flat so putting it that way, it was down to about 20% life left. ;):D

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Honda Elysion Low battery logo on dash "SMART KEY"
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Well the low battery stuff popped up again today, almost two years, Nov 2019, since the batteries were changed,,,,had a couple of batteries ready to go in the glove box 😛...... smarty pants I know !

For information for everyone if you ever get this on your display, I managed a picture this time, 🙄.......like I said the last time the only bit you really note when you are driving is the battery flashing on the display, see pic below in the Trip A display, this time I sorted it quickly though so no "low Battery" legend.

Old batteries measured 2.89 volts each so pretty much the same as the last time at 2.88v and they were changed a couple of days after the idiot light appeared last time so consistent.

smart-card-battery-warning.jpg

Averaging 26.25mpg as you can see, over the last 91 miles,  translated to imperial that is....

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1