Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion Front Brake Pad(s) Replacement

PTR200S

• Moderators

Mintex pads arrived today....MDB1975 is the code for them, they fit perfectly as a direct replacement including the pressure pin holes.

I don't wish to teach anyone to suck eggs but some of the info below might be useful to someone who maybe be a bit unsure with this imported  Elysion van.

The biggest problem is finding bits / spares so make sure you have everything you need before you get started !! 

First job is off with the wheel and then undo the caliper pad carrier bolts... there are two as usual but are 14mm bolt heads...big tight fitting spanner or a ratchet as you prefer!

brake-pad-8.jpg

Pads out, watch for the two v shaped pressure pins and note the way they are fitted.

brake-pad-9a.jpg

brake-pad-6.jpg

The old ones are a bit thin !!! but still not on the noise indicator.

brake-pad-9d.jpg

brake-pad-9c.jpg

brake-pad-9b.jpg

Check the sliding pins, two of, and make sure they move freely in and out but also rotate freely, not that they rotate in use but that it makes sure they are truly free moving. Don't over rotate as the rubber boot will tear...

brake-pad-9.jpg

The brake pistons need retracting into the caliper, there are TWO per caliper so put a piece of thin wood across the two piston heads and steadily tighten the clamp so that both pistons go in together...don't try and do one at a time...you will regret it and get covered in fluid / knocked out by the other piston !😛

The pistons are smooth bore, you don't need to rotate or screw them in to the caliper.

brake-pad-9e.jpg

IMPORTANT !!!!

Watch the fluid reservoir and extract excess fluid, this presumes that the fluid was maintained under servicing rather than allowing the level to fall, with the pad wear.

brake-pad-9f.jpg

Once you are happy with the movement of all things that should move, stick the pads in with a little Ceretec grease, or similar brake grease, around the pad "ears" and on the pad backs and don't forget to transfer the old shims across to the new pads.

Put it all back together in the time honoured fashion of the Haynes Manual (RIP) " assembly is a reversal of the disassembly process " !

If you have a couple of bits of thin wire left on the ground after reassembly then you have forgotten the pressure pins,,,😲, take it apart and start again !!!

Press the brake pedal to push the new pads upto the disk and check that the hub still rotates when the pressure is off, fit road wheel and go test ! Take it easy for at least 20 miles, to allow the pad to bed in,........

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Honda Elysion Front Brake Pad(s) Replacement
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

The brake pistons need retracting into the caliper, there are TWO per caliper so put a piece of thin wood across the two piston heads and steadily tighten the clamp so that both pistons go in together...don't try and do one at a time...you will regret it and get covered in fluid / knocked out by the other piston !😛

The pistons are smooth bore, you don't need to rotate or screw them in to the caliper.

brake-pad-9e.jpg

IMPORTANT !!!!

Watch the fluid reservoir and extract excess fluid, this presumes that the fluid was maintained under servicing rather than allowing the level to fall, with the pad wear.

Eek! Better to slacken the bleed nipple and let the dirty fluid out to the world (or at least a jam jar) rather than shooting the dirt back up the lines to the ABS modulator and master cylinder.

Cracking job though, good man! ;):D

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Eek! Better to slacken the bleed nipple and let the dirty fluid out to the world (or at least a jam jar) rather than shooting the dirt back up the lines to the ABS modulator and master cylinder.

No dirty brake fluid in my pipework I'll have you know !! I did mention fluid servicing !!

Good point though for those that have never changed the fluid !!!!

Still, shouldn't be dirty really, after all those thorough dealer services take care of that... don't they ?😃 Just like the cabin filters !!!!!

• Clap Hands 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
On 8/2/2019 at 9:24 PM, PTR200S said:

No dirty brake fluid in my pipework I'll have you know !! I did mention fluid servicing !!

Good point though for those that have never changed the fluid !!!!

I know you mentioned fluid servicing but i missed it first time round so decided to add my comment in case someone else missed it too.

Sometimes though, even with reasonably freshly changed fluid there can be a bit of dirt lurking somewhere so for the sake of an extra little bit of work it saves a potential failure later. ;):D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Me being me, i'd say get 5L and you'll have some spare for either another car, topping up if necessary or enough if you run into problems, you have enought o make sure you can entirely flush the system then make a long tube to feed the output from each bleed nipple back to the reservoir to self-bleed.

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/agricultural-specialities/1837-smith-and-allan-dot-4-brake-fluid/

Besides, buying 5L in one go isn't that much more than 2 x 1L bottles from your local factors.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I always think it's better to have too much than too little. Agree it goes off in storage but after a year in a sealed container, it's still better than 20 year old fluid!

Depends whether you have the time to be able to leave the vehicle without brakes for a few days while getting more fluid and finding time to finish the job really. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

I used brake fluid very frequently but newer honda's can be really sensitive to standard DOT4 and when the seal is broken it's usually unusable within a couple of weeks IMO, so I just buy 1L bottles as its easier to pour into the reservoir too.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Does that suggest that the newer seals are made to much tighter tolerances and therefore not quite so forgiving Stu?

Yes and no buddy, I don't think anything past 2005 is anywhere near as good as the older calipers IMO

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 8/2/2019 at 6:42 PM, hughezee said:

Great work Pete, hope the new pads solve your niggle too. 👍

Well, yet again the things that you consider to be acceptable come back and bite you one the a%$e !!

Brake vibration is still there but much reduced, tried cleaning the disks and the edge ridging isn't excessive, faces are clean and straight but its close to wear limits...., bit the bullet and ordered some genuine Honda front disks specifically for the Elysion from Cox Honda.... 

Might arrive Saturday so its workshop day again ...yay 😭

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Brake vibration is still there but much reduced, tried cleaning the disks and the edge ridging isn't excessive, faces are clean and straight but its close to wear limits....

That's frustrating Pete, hope you get it resolved soon 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Well it's Saturday...just finished work, unloaded the van, having a coffee and pondering why I have nothing to do this afternoon....no disks 🤬 

Not even an acknowledgement from Cox...which is really strange... used my account to order it too.........

Think I might beggar off on the bike this saffy, and take it easy 😃

• Like 2

• Moderators

Did go off on the bike, went to look for a new helmet..... Some cracking ones from Shoei, Shuberth and the like...but £600 a pop !    Having just spent 132 quid on non existent disks a new helmet might have to wait a while.

Got home, still no acknowledgment from Cox although to be fair the spares dept is probably shut Saturday afternoon at least....but then they had all day Friday and Saturday morning to confirm the order.... Monday morning phone call I suppose,😞   

• grrrr 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Got home, still no acknowledgment from Cox although to be fair the spares dept is probably shut Saturday afternoon at least...

Must admit it's getting more common with COX, they have busy periods so you are just a number. I ordered the same parts from COX and another dealer and was given a little B.S from COX on parts on backorder and Holdcroft had delivered the part before I got a reply... So I normally email first on price availability and if I don't get a response with 1 working day I will order elsewhere, not saying Holdcroft Honda is any better but it pays to shop around as COX wasn't always the cheapest either.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yes, noticed that too, Holdcroft are really quick but only Cox seem to deal with the Elysion at the moment and even they have just a small list of available stuff but at least are willing to get stuff shipped from Japan . Hopefully other Honda dealers will start to pick up the slack as more Elysion arrive on these shores !

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, Laird_Scooby said:

Sounds like a monday morning butt kicking session is in order Pete!

Had to go to work early this morning so didn't get to call them but did a bunk around 3pm thinking I will give them what for when I got home. Emptied van out on arrival and went in to ring them up only to find a Cox package waiting !! 😂 

Amazingly I still have had NO COMMS from Cox ..... anyhoo, nice , genuine disks waiting to be fitted now....

20190916-155147.jpg

Note the marks around the hub,,,, bit of surface rust here and there too and yet it was in the usual sealed pinky coloured plastic inside a sealed outer box. Haven't checked the other one yet but there appears to be no protective "oil" film on the disk... sort of wondered at one point if these had been fitted before but, as I say, all sealed.

20190916-155151.jpg

20190916-155155.jpg

• Like 3