Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion Brake Shudder

PTR200S

• Moderators

Just recently Elly has developed a brake shudder under medium load braking...very similar to a warped disk feel, through the brake pedal.

A number of Elysion owners have reported this in recent months and it seems as if in most cases the disk has warped. 

Warping is usually related to heat dissipation, or lack of it, after market disks can be prone to it as sometimes they are of thinner, less robust construction, than original disks. However, the underlying problem is usually related to the calipers sticking so the pads are in almost constant contact with the disk or someone is leaving their left foot on the brake !!

There are a couple of owners reporting corrosion on the hub mounting which may be forcing the disk out of true slightly and this corrosion which is setting in has developed in this country as the Jap import stuff usually arrives here virtually rust free.

I will be investigating this, hopefully this weekend, as my disk appears to have been "plucked" by the pad... the pad is down to about 5mm thickness and it maybe that its a sintered type one with the metal content causing the problem... whatever the fault I will be stripping the caliper for cleaning and the disk to check for runout on the dial gauge .

Hopefully you can see the problem of the disk face on this picture ..just look at the rust that has developed on the edges too !..whether this condition is causing the warping feel or if this is already the result of continuous pad contact remains to be seen.

I have ordered new Mintex pads, actually listed for the Elysion, (!!!)  but at the moment can't find the correct disk replacement...although I can get genuine Honda at 170 quid the pair !!

EDIT now discounted to 132.90 !! free delivery from Cox Motorpart.

front_L_disk_270719.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

From everything you've said Pete, a good clean up of all the mating faces including disc to hub, pads to caliper (including the edges of the pads), slides and so on and a bit of dressing the disc on the edges of the pad contact area to remove that rust and a good degrease of the disc too, should get you back to somewhere near proper performance.

What diameter and thickness are the discs?

• Like 2

• Moderators

yep, thinking this too, have held off pressing the "buy" button !!

All the moving bits are good and free, just the pad and disk faces to sort out really but I have got new pads coming anyway so might get local engineering company to skim the disk...if there is enough left to skim.

Currently I believe the Honda fitted disk is 29mm x 300mm ventilated as standard.... thickness of my disk here is 28mm less 20 thou (lip overhang)... about 0.5 of 1mm.. so if we said 27.5mm against 29mm nominal when new... just need to confirm the minimum thickness service criteria.... if it is actually warped then its probably not recoverable to minimum thickness.

• Like 2

• Moderators

(Cross-posted from "In the Elysion Workshop")

That's certainly within spec i would think, i have a sneaking doubt that skimming the disc will help. Does your pressure washer have an adjustable lance so you can get a needle jet out of it? If so, can you rig the disc up on something so it can be turned easily? I don't mean the axle either, one slip with the pencil jet and you might have to renew a CV boot as well!

I'm thinking blast the vent holes clean, rust build up might be causing enough of an imbalance to only show under braking (not during normal driving) - i know it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination but you've been through the rest of the normal suspects so worth a try. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Quite right ! it does need to have more long distance stuff admittedly but its unfortunately a dual purpose vehicle in that the work entails short journeys but as you say I need to get out more 😂

• Like 2