Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rover 827 None Starter

Cardi

Made room to bring the Vitesse into the garage at last.  Put newly charged battery on, switched on, all lamps lit ok, turned key, silence. Bridged starter relay, engine cranked and fired straight away. Tested relay it's ok.  Checked continuity from battery to starter relay coil thro' ignition sw/ inhibitor sw to relay coil - ok. Checked from othe side of relay coil to to plug on ccu - ok. Checked earth on ccu - ok. Connected strap to earth and then to relay wire on ccu plug, starts ok.  Unless i've missed something i assume the fault is with the ccu.

I need some advice/help with a few things.

Anybody know of a YWC10124 ccu for sale.

What are the differences between the different ccu's and how likely is it a different but similar version will work.

What does the ccu do to the starting circuit?  Can i just leave an earth on the one side of the relay?  It doesn't appear to cause any problems.

Would appreciate any help/suggestions.

Russ

• Moderators

Have you checked the earth on the CCU itself Russ? Means hanging upside down under the pedals to trace the earth wiring but if memory serves there are a couple of earth points behind the kick panels, one on the right and one on the left. Logic suggests it will be the right hand one (shortest run) but worth checking both.

Before you do that though, lock and unlock the car (using the key or better still, the original fob) with all doors and bonnet shut. Then re-try starting normally. Got a feeling it's something as simple as the immobiliser has seen a reconnected battery on an unlocked car and has gone into safe mode so has inhibited the staqrting.

As for finding one of those CCUs, there's a big pile of them between the hens teeth and the unicorn poop. 😛

You could search fleabay for Rover 800 bits, if you find a seller called "xjrover" (think his name is Mark but i might be wrong) send him a message as he usually has some oddball stuff, may have one of those CCUs, think i got the one for mine from him as it goes but that is a YWC 10127 i think.

Had a quick look to try and find one on fleabay, closest i found was a YWC 10217, that may be the one i had to get, couldn't find "xjrover" selling anything at the moment though unless i missed it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Dave,  closing and locking all doors etc did the trick - after a couple runs through the sequence it started working ok.

I can now get back to the possible CPS flt. I've put flying leads on the CPS & TDC sensor so i can check them again with the engine running  before check the cam/crank alignment.

Russ

• Like 2

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Cardi said:

closing and locking all doors etc did the trick - after a couple runs through the sequence it started working ok.

You're welcome Russ, i thought it would do the trick, sounds as if the immobiliser gout out of sequence. Just needed reminding what it should be doing.

Can't remember if i've suiggested this one on your CPS thread, worth checking the earth for the PGM-Fi ECU, think it's at the bottom of the RH B pillar but i'll try and check later.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Rover 827 None Starter