Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion RR3 V6 Service Items "NEW OWNER"

BoMar

Hi guys 

I'm new to the forum.

I've just bought a Honda Elysion RR3 V6 and I'd like to change the engine oil and ATF and got the stuff from Honda which is 0W20 if I remember right. 

I see here that 5W30 is better, will I have any issues with what I've bought already? 

Thank you 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Welcome aboard! Which ATF have you got? Also what year is your Elysion? Might be the ATF you've got is likely to fry the torque converter depending on year/ATF type etc.

Not too sure on the engine oil, i wouldn't use any engine oil with a rating of 0W anything but on modern engines, that is usually what's specified - i'm just "old skool" in things like that though. :P

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hopefully one or more of the Elysion owners will be along soon or Stu will, engine oil is probably fine as it's Honda spec but Honda faced a class-action lawsuit in the USA over DW-1 for telling victims ........... errrrr, customers even that it was backwards compatible with boxes that needed Z-1 instead. The DW-1 is thinner so caused the torque converters to overheat and ultimately fail.

I would suggest Valvoline ATF would be better - BUT -

the Elysion is very much a niche market car in this country and not my area of expertise. Please hang fire on doing anything until someone confirms or refutes what i'm suggesting. I'm not sure what year the gerboxes changed and DW-1 is the preferred fluid and the last thing i'd want to do is tell you something (even with the best intent) that later turns out to not be the best option.

As for pictures, most of us use postimages.org as a third party photo host. Accounts are free and easy to set up (i managed it, anything to do with software has to be easy for me to manage it!) so if you don't have another photo host account (Flickr, Photobucket, Imgurr or similar) set up an account on postimages, upload your photos and click the share icon. Then click the blue button at the end of the link marked as "Direct Link", the blue button changes to "Copied" then return to the post you are doing, right click where you want the image then click "Paste" and hit return on the keyboard.

Job done!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to New Elysion Owner RR3 V6
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, BoMar said:

I'm new to the forum.

Welcome to the club and congrats great purchase, cracking motors. 👍

2 hours ago, BoMar said:

HONDA 0W-20 SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL

HONDA ATF-DW1 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID 

Secondly, I would just take everything you've purchased for your motor back to the Honda dealer, they do not support the Elysion unless you need a oil filter and sump washer but they will sell you anything regardless.

2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

i wouldn't use any engine oil with a rating of 0W anything but on modern engines, that is usually what's specified - i'm just "old skool" in things like that though. :P

Dave is spot on and in my experience, the 0W20 is only good for motors that have used it from day one, an older vehicle will spring oil leaks and get noisy and undoubtedly become a little sluggish as a result.

1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'm not sure what year the gerboxes changed and DW-1 is the preferred fluid and the last thing i'd want to do is tell you something (even with the best intent) that later turns out to not be the best option.

ATF-DW1 was good once but only for a short time 😒 then the formula was and changed to suit other vehicles in the Honda UK range and it is definitely not backwards compatible as Honda would lead you to believe. they even released a service bulletin on problems with ATF-DW1 in older vehicles with 4- speed (especially) or 5-speed transmissions with no real solution apart from using an ATF-Z1 compatible fluid or refund the customer. 🤬

• Like 1

So the forum doesn't disappoint 👏

I've been told by a colleague from work to join in I'm happy I've done that. 

He's got a Coupe like Stu's so probably know him. 

I've just realised that his,,, Beauty'' is the first picture on Google maps @ Stu' s garage 😆

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hi and welcome fellow Elysion owner !!

As has been said already by those in the know about the V6 motor it needs careful consideration for fluids and with so few Elysion about its a big learning curve.

I am currently trialing a Tradetec oil, semi synthetic, 10 /40 but I have used Magnatec  5/40 previously.

Edge 5/40 is also pretty good stuff for keeping it smooth.....

I don't recall seeing 0/20 being recommended for what is essentially an "old" engine however need to remember the 6 and 3 cylinder tech  plus vtec also relies a good oil supply.

I am still doing frequent oil changes to keep the oil clear....and by the way I would use the Honda  S2000 oil filter too....not the standard Honda one. 

Gearbox, using Valvoline as I do in the Coupe V6, recommended on this very forum !!!

• Like 3

Does the 0W-20 engine oil and filter  suit a 2004 Jazz 1.4 petrol? 

It's due for a change anyway and instead of the hassle of returning everything I'd prefer to use it on the Jazz instead because it's doing city miles. 

Also do I have any chance of finding a roof rack for Elysion? 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I wouldn't use the oil in anything that old, have two Jazz in our family, 2004 and 2006 and run them on semi 10 / 30 or 40 with no problems. One on 100k now and other on 50k miles.

Opie oils don't list a recommended oil for the V6 , well certainly for my Coupe but asking about 0-20 oil gets a thumbs down for the V6.

Re the filter, if its a generic Honda filter then it will be fine on the Jazz, what's the code on it?

The S2000 filter is slightly bigger, more capacity , and i run the Coupe V6 and the Elysion on them, however, you can still use the smaller filter on these but i would change the oil and fllter more often. That's just my opinion and others may have more comments !!!!

Roof racks, well I believe that a roof rail bar unit will fit, nip down to halfrauds and seee if you can test one out....might be worth asking about Honda Odyssey rails as asking about an Elysion will probably elicit blank looks !!!

Roof rails to fit the van are EXPENSIVE !!!! But obtainable via  a Japanese supplier......would need to delve more deeply for that.

Towbars, by the way, are available from Watling Towbars but only rated to 1400kg, good for a trailer or small caravan only really.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yep, that filter ok for Jazz or even Elysion if you are pushed but I would use the PCX 004 version for the V6

If you hunt about on net you will find better prices than most Honda dealers but interesting to note some Honda dealers have very good ONLINE prices compared to over the counter !!

• Like 2

• Moderators

The Valvoline Maxlife is the one to go for but Valvoline did change their packaging a couple of years ago and it just says ATF on it now.

Just check it has Z1 compatibility.

Maybe Stu can enlighten us on if there has been a formula change....i have just the ATF version on my stock shelf now.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BoMar said:

Yes it is but don't buy it at this price !!!!

A tenner is the target price to look for....

edit;

Seems as if the price point of a tenner is not quite achievable now !! best I could find is Htune at a tenner BUT its 4 quid postage so unless you buy a few... however these guys are doing it at a good price delivered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-ACCORD-S2000-LEGEND-3-5RL-OIL-FILTER-15400-PCX-004/223515298626?

or Cox funnily enough at £11.58 plus I presume postage.

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-s2000-oil-filter-sump-washer-2000-2009/

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, BoMar said:

Do you guys use any?

Normally i add some ATF to the engine oil - that's on my C-series engine, i also use it in other engines to help keep things clean. It gives a gentle clean while reviving rubber seals, freeing sticky piston rings and so on.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Honda Elysion RR3 V6 Service Items "NEW OWNER"