Subscriptions & Donations ×

2018 build recall

PTR200S

• Moderators

Honda have issued a recall on the Oddy built around 2017 / 18 for the transmission control unit problem of when it reboots under low voltage conditions it throws the box into " Park " !!!!

A loose battery terminal of duff battery glitch whilst driving can cause a low voltage instigated reboot, throwing trans into park at ANY speed ...gulp !!!!

50000 vehicles have been recalled , not sure how that fits in the UK and of course it will be a new Oddy anyway !!!

• Sad 2

• Moderators

"To err is human, to really screw up needs a computer" - says it all really!

Electronic/computerised control of vital functions like engine, gearbox etc is all well and good when it works. When it develops a fault like this that obviously doesn't have basic interlocks programmed in, it's a scary state of affairs! :o

• Like 2

• Moderators

Cars are to "clever" by far now.

Mate has a new Merc...arrive at traffic lights, press brake and come to a halt. Take foot off brake and the handbrake hold facility takes over......brake lights STAY ON !!!!!!!

Riddle off the day .....

Why the fek do the designers decide to leave the brake lights on???? 

To blind the drivers in the queue behind them , of course !!!!

The other gripe he has is the stop / start....only works under certain conditions in the real world but engages readily when he arrives home, having not engaged all day, and pulls up in front of his house ready to reverse into his drive....car stops, he shifts into reverse and the feka stops the engine until he pokes the throttle !!!

Mercedes stock answer....." They all do that , Sir "!!!!!!!!!  What possible fuel saving is gained shifting from drive to reverse by stopping the engjne....!!!!

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Serves him right for buying a new Merc! 😛 :lol:

Joking aside, if "they all do that sir!", why the hell haven't Mercedes brought out a software patch to fix it? I don't know the price of a new Merc but let's say £50k as a nice, round figure, i wouldn't expect a £50k car to have such poor design faults. I suspect the handbrake hold is hydraulic and so is the brake light switch so once the footbrake is applied, pressure rises in the brake hydraulics bringing the brake lights on, the handbrake hold then uses a valve to hold this pressure keeping the brake lights on. A simple change to a mechanical switch operated by the brake pedal would fix this but that's too simple. ;):D

• Haha 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Serves him right for buying a new Merc! 😛 :lol:

Already told him that!!

but he does use it for work and 40k miles a year !!

I just wonder now how many new cars have this "feature" and is this why there seems to be an increase in the number of complaints about the dazzle created at traffic lights with drivers supposedly sitting with their foot on the brake.... which is inherently bad driving as far as I am concerned.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I am guessing this issue relates to the ZF nine-speed automatic transmission fitted to the Odyssey, CR-Vs etc as allot of Jeeps, BMW's suffer in the same way equipped with ZF boxes even seen a few motorway documentaries with almost new bimmers causing accidents all drivers saying the car just went into park while driving 😯

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

That's not good 😲 

That nine speeder is in lots of cars now, as you say, you would have thought that a reboot wouldn't have been designed to throw it into park.... neutral would have been more appropriate and a whole stack safer !!

Wonder who picks up the tab for that failure....I would be pretty peed off if my car was a couple months out of warranty....... wonder if my mates Merc has a ZF,,, it definitely has a nine speed box and its German !

• Like 1