Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rover 827 getting 4 blinks on diagnostic lamp?

Cardi

• Moderators

No problem Stu, it's a weird one on these, perhaps exacerbated by the fact the Lambdas are single wire (non-heated) so the ECU is programmed to ignore them for the first 5 minutes or so. I also know of another 827 that appears to have a similar problem................ ;):D

• Like 2

Well i shall certainly have to change the front sensor now, went for a drive today and the fault reoccured.

Re. the AC i'm sure Jon (urbanviking) told me that due to a change in the type of gas used, the AC it no longer worked and either a compressor with with compatable seals would be needed, or the old one rebuilt with the right seals fitted. The AC is low on my priorties at the moment, this year i hope to put some new metal into the OSR wheel arch.

Totally agree about how well AC clears a screen. 

Russ

• Like 1

• Moderators

If you have a look at the slam panel, there should be a yellow sticker saying what sort of gas it has, either R12 or R134a, fairly certain it had R134a in it but it's fairly simple to convert it if it's on R12 - a pic of the service ports on the A/C pipes would help if the yellow sticker is missing.

• Moderators

Might be worth loading a photo of the service ports on the A/C lines Russ, i've got a feeling it's already been converted. I might be wrong and thinking of another car but worth double checking - or finding a friendly person who works on commercial refrigeration and/or air con for a living and getting a re-gas that way. ;):D

R12 fittings for sure and no pressure in system. Moved a/c pipe out of the way, unbolted slam panel and managed to get in and change front sensor.

Reset diagnostic lamp, including disconnecting battery, went for a spin and fault lamp came on again.

I have checked continuity from crank sensor to ecu but didn't do so for the lamda sensors, I'll do that just to be sure but i think it's looking like an ecu fault now.

• Like 1

Yes I did check lamp flashes on ecu- still 4.

I've been looking at ecu model codes and it looks like mine is from a 93-96 auto.  There appears to be 7 versions fitted to the auto between 88 and 96 i suspect there maybe a difference between cat and non cat models so getting one from 93-96 model makes sense. Mine is 37820-PL2-G12 and there is a 37820-PL2-G13 listed on ebay from Germany at about 45 euros I might take a chance on that.

• Like 2

ECU arrived today but fault still on when fitted, which is a bit disappointing , so i will have to check crank sensor and lambda sensor outputs at ecu plug.

I'll try to attach pictures traces measured at socket near the bulkhead under bonnet,

If i succeed the first trace will be high idle before symptoms occur, the second low idle fault on, the third light throttle fault on.high-idle-no-flt.jpgflt-on-slight-throtle.jpgflt-on-low-idle.jpg

• Like 2