Subscriptions & Donations ×

Water splashing onto alternator belt

welland99

I've had this problem for a while on my cg4 and wondered if anybody else does too? 

When it rains, water often splashes up onto the alternator belt from the road.  This causes momentary belt squealing until it dries out and grips the pulley again.  The belt tension feels quite tight to me, so i don't think that's the cause.  I wonder if I may be missing a splash guard from around the belt?

• Like 3

• Moderators

Is there a "belly panel" or tray under the engine bay? If not then i'd guess someone has removed it and forgotten to replace it. This is the sort of thing i mean :

s-l1600.jpg

That's actually for the next gen on from yours but gives you an idea what to look for.

As for the belt, is it a V-belt or a Poly-V belt? If it's a V-belt, it shold deflect 3/8 - 1/2" along the longest run with moderate thumb pressure. If it's a poly-V, there should be no deflection at all.

Worth checking the adjustment of the belt and also the condition, if it's been slipping, the chances are it's becom glazed and will still slip, even with correct adjustment. Replacement might be the better option. ;):D

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Well, I have to be honest and say that I don't believe there is an under-engine cover on my car, nor do I recall seeing any holes to which it would attach.  That may well be the cause of the problem.  

I'll check the belt, but I believe it's grooved - is that what you called poly-v belt?

• Confused 2

• Moderators

It sounds that way - the "belly panel" is there for several reasons including acoustics and keeping water off places it shouldn't reach!

If it's a fairly flat belt, smooth one side and grooved the other then yes, that's a poly-v belt - needs to be very tight with little or no deflection at any point. ;):D

• Like 3