Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-2002 Accord code: 09-01 SRS Indicator Light No DTC

hughezee

• Administrators

Thought I would share a recent issue I have had with a 2000 Accord 3.0 V6, this would make the third diagnostic check last couple of times I reset the module as no DTC's are stored, first reset lasted 5 months the second 3 days. I have dealt with this issue a few times and two cars that came from main dealers, where a fault condition is present triggers the light and subsequent restarts clear the historical data if the fault is no longer present grrr. Anyway, my first thought is a failing connection somewhere like I had on both Odysseys with an intermittent seat belt buckle switch. However this time my money is on its clock spring but what are your thoughts folks, feel free to share your experience or suggestions...

• Like 2

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Can you replicate the fault now, ???? down to three days ....maybe you can wiggle a few things !!

Why do you suspect clock spring?  Has it popped the fault whilst turning the wheel ?  

I have tried to replicate the fault so plenty of wiggling, but will be taking it for a long run with the scanner plugged in to see if I spot anything out of the norm?

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I have tried to replicate the fault so plenty of wiggling, but will be taking it for a long run with the scanner plugged in to see if I spot anything out of the norm?

You do know that it won't do it when you want it to !! sods , murphys and anybody elses law !!

Will be interesting to see if it does show , though ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Which scanner are you using? I

Honda HDS and using another USA unit and will monitor to see if a particular airbag resistance changes or open circuit appears. obviously, I will record the data stream while driving and look at it afterwards if anything happens that is???

• Like 2

• Moderators

Also worth mentioning the power supply to the SRS ECU Stu including the earth connections. I know on some ECUs (not necessarily SRS ECUs) an intermittent loss of power can cause a case of throwing a fault signal but no DTCs stored. It can also point to the ECU itself.

Also, check the wiring into the rotary coupler/cock spring just in case something has become strained/pulled on the feed side to it causing an occasional high resistance.

If it was me, I'd remove and deploy the airbags on the 5th November then refit upholstered pads and remove the bulbs.......... ;):D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
On 10/27/2018 at 9:27 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Also, check the wiring into the rotary coupler/cock spring just in case something has become strained/pulled on the feed side to it causing an occasional high resistance.

This was my initial suspicion buddy. might just do the owner a favour and stick it in for an MOT while the light is off as it will be sod's law when he takes it for MOT the SRS light will come back on the morning of the test and he's an hour-ish drive away. Although saying that I have been looking more closely at the seat belt as it doesn't always click, but still not managed to trigger the light and nothing out of the ordinary? 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Might be an idea to squirt some contact cleaner into the belt buckle bud, partly to clean everything and partly to lube the buckle. If it's not clicking it might be telling the SRS ECU that there isn't an occupant in the seat so disabling the mother in law. Errr, sorry - airbag! :lol:

Alternatively, get it in for MoT while it's still working and let things progress naturally over the coming year. Tell the customer to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, bring it back. As long as it has an MoT it has breathing space to either develop into the fault it wants to be or give up and go away. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Maybe you've got it, maybe you haven't - only time will tell but i hope you have!

They're a good idea but i'm sure there is a better way somehow, just nobody has found it yet for cars! Or, if they have it's in the £OUCH terrotory and customers wouldn't pay for it.

The irony about airboags is they were invented in the USA to prevent people being impaled by the steering column because they wouldn't wear their seatbelts, now airbags won't work at all if the seatbelts aren't being worn!

Maybe just remove them both and fit a spike on the steering wheel and see how much peoples driving improves! :lol:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...