Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Brake Assist. Yep...it works!

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Well, I can safely say that the Honda Brake Assist works fine on Lennie!  I had to slam the brakes on due to stupid woman driver pulling out at the lights.  I slammed the brakes on and the pedal felt weird in that the pedal travelled further than normal and didn’t feel hard (ooo errr Dave).  Lennie stopped dead, thanks too to his new discs and pads.  Apparently, the car learns your braking style and when it sense effectively an emergency stop, it applies maximum braking force.  Happy Days.

To thank Lennie I’ve just treated him to a polish  ☺️

Here’s the sales jargon on the press release:

Brake Assist
Debuting on the Legend, Honda’s Brake Assist is a new technology that helps the driver apply full braking pressure in an accident avoidance situation. To do so, a microprocessor continually analyses and “learns” the driver’s normal braking habits - monitoring both the rate of pressure applied and the total pressure that the driver normally applies to the brake system.
If sudden braking occurs, Brake Assist brings the system to full ABS activation to help stop the vehicle in the shortest distance possible and is only activated when the microprocessor detects that certain brake pedal speed and pressure thresholds are reached.
Importantly, Brake Assist assists the driver in obtaining full braking performance in an emergency. The Brake Assist system deactivates when the driver releases pressure on the brake pedal.

• Like 4

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Lennie Legend said:

Apparently, the car learns your braking style and when it sense effectively an emergency stop, it applies maximum braking force.

That's almost a challenge! To explain what i mean, when i bought my Sterling 10+ years ago with 92k miles on the clock, i checked the front pads. Had about 5mm of material left.

I'm now on about 114k, still the same pads and still about 5mm of material left.

Put another way, i rarely use my brakes apart from maybe the last few yards or to prevent "creep" or in a real emergency.

How could the car learn a braking style that doesn't exist? :o

• Like 1