Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe Cruise Control "NOT WORKING"

Good evening ,I have owned my accord for 3 years and this is the first fault I have had . After lending my car to friend it has come back with the cruise control not  working .

Any ideas  please my cruise light switch comse on  when I press the switch on the dash illuminates green.

It doesn't come on the display lights on the speedometer or come on when I press the buttons on the steering wheel .the brake lights work.

Any ideas where to start appreciated 

HONDA 1999 V6 3.0L COUPE

REG   T781DBY

thanks Ian.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Hi Ian welcome to the club and sorry to hear you having trouble with your coupe, first off it could be the brake pedal switch, which works on 2 different circuits, one for the brake lights and the other circuit is for the cruise control and this part of the circuit can go bad despite the brake lights working. Alternatively could be the clock spring in the steering wheel, failing that it could be the unit itself or its cable? 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yep, I am with Hughezee on that one.  An accord I had with the "dual" brake switch had this problem... Took the switch off and discovered the cruise part was duff... new brake switch solved the problem.

Would suggest you start with that, it's easy !!...... maybe your mate has big feet and caught the brake switch connections??!!!!?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hi Ian and welcome aboard! Does the gear shift position indicator still work ok? Sometimes the contacts in that switch mechanism for it get dirty with age and cause rough gear shifts/engagement and also don't light up the shift position on the dash.

The same switch tells the various ECUs that the car is in D or any other ranges that cruise will work in - without that signal you won't have cruise control.

If the shift position lights up on the dash, you can probably discount this as the fault and double-check that brake pedal switch.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, ian stainsby said:

Good evening ,I have owned my accord for 3 years and this is the first fault I have had . After lending my car to friend it has come back with the cruise control not  working .

Any ideas  please my cruise light switch comse on  when I press the switch on the dash illuminates green.

It doesn't come on the display lights on the speedometer or come on when I press the buttons on the steering wheel .the brake lights work.

Any ideas where to start appreciated 

HONDA 1999 V6 3.0L COUPE

REG   T781DBY

thanks Ian.

Hi , thank you for all the info . I have bought a new brake light switch and will test the car as soon as my drivers seat is back from the upholstery. Regarding the gear shift indicator that has started doing what you said and will have to check , is this an easy job to tackle . I won't be lending my car to anyone again. 

thanks again for the help. ian

• Like 1

the dashboard lights to tell you which gear you are in are not always on . when I jiggle the auto shift they flicker and stop on and sometimes go off again . what you suggested regarding cleaning around the shifter area could be a good start is this easy to strip down.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think this might well be your problem. Yours is the 3.0 V6 Accord Coupé isn't it? Mine was the previous gen and had a slightly different arrangement i think so hopefully Stu can fill in the blanks on the console trim removal etc.

Once you get to the contacts on the switch, some contact cleaner should work. On the good side, it's fairly normal wear and tear and happens sooner or later so it's nothing your fiend has done. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, ian stainsby said:

I have bought a new brake light switch and will test the car as soon as my drivers seat is back from the upholstery. 

Did you find fault with the brake switch then?   

The gear shift light problem is also apparent too so two faults ? Hopefully a good clean and contacts check will sort this as the Laird has said.

• Like 1

Hi , not been able to drive the car since fitting the brake light switch. My drivers seat is getting reupholstered the usual place has gone on the seat .will let you know but I think the gearshift light will be the problem . Hopefully easy enough to strip down . thanks for all the advice Ian.

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you can't drive it at the moment Ian, you could strip down the centre console round the gear lever and then find the switch alongside the lever that tells the ECU and the dashboard what position it's in.

You could try some contact cleaner inside on the contacts or you could strip the switch down, clean the contacts with fine emery cloth and switch cleaner, smear some silicone grease on it to protect the contacts, reconnect and then test it.

Switch the ignition on, leave the handbrake on and move the selector lever through all positions - the dashboard lights should light up accordingly.

If all is good, switch the ignition off and box it all up as it was originally.

Then when you get the seat refitted, you can give it the final road test to prove the cruise is now working again - or not as the case my be. ;):D

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ian stainsby said:

I think the gearshift light will be the problem .

The selection switch is located on the left lower part transmission it's accessible when the N.S wheel is removed, its a sealed unit they are know fail from time to I have a spare one somewhere...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, ian stainsby said:

Hi , thank you for all the info . I have bought a new brake light switch and will test the car as soon as my drivers seat is back from the upholstery. Regarding the gear shift indicator that has started doing what you said and will have to check , is this an easy job to tackle . I won't be lending my car to anyone again. 

thanks again for the help. ian

Good evening , just wanted to thank you for the advice regarding the cruise control cleaned the gear shift selector and now works a treat .

Next job is to source some rear  brake back plates as mine are just about shot. Thanks Ian

• Like 1

• Moderators

You're welcome Ian - glad it was something simple! The gear selector switch is an often-overlooked source of grief with cruise control.

I think Stu sourced some rear bark back plates from the USA, possibly from Rock Auto but might be wrong - that's just a guess. With luck he'll be along soon and be able to give you the details. ;):D

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe Cruise Control "NOT WORKING"