Subscriptions & Donations ×

2005-2010 Honda Legend A Pillar Leak! Ooo errr

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

If you remember, last Sunday it rained all day, I was a little concerned as when I was diving I felt a drip of water hit my arm.  I looked up and saw this.....:(

F25666_EE-_D0_B5-4_D4_A-_B177-65_E13_BB5

You can imagine how distraught I was!  I picked up the Bat Phone and called Stu, I then popped over the following day for the diagnosis.  There could be two reasons why water is getting into the cabin;

1)  The sunroof drain hole (or the channel) could be blocked.  This wasn’t the case as Stu emptied some water down the channel and it exited by the wheel.

2)  It’s getting in via a seam on the A pillar. Stu remover the trim and was greeted with a great big lump of silicone sealant at the end of the channel on the corner of the windscreen!!  Mystery solved.

Stu said the channel should be clear to allow water to exit.  What the blob of sealant was doing was blocking the channel creating effectively a little lake of water.  The top windscreen trim has sponge on the back and this was saturated as the water has nowhere to go.

54717_FF6-3926-491_A-9_B46-_CFF68_D23269

Anyway, the silicone had no chance!  Stu blasted it with brake cleaner to shrink it and cleared it all out. A small bit of paint had gone and the water was getting in via the seam.  He then used some clever sealant to fix the leak and left it to dry for a while.

E9_E07_A2_B-1_EB8-4_F28-85_EC-_E3_B8_BC0

Whoever tried to fix this previously had also pulled the trim at the end causing a crack, instead of lifting it properly in the middle.  That’s something to fix in the summer.

It’s not rained since but I’m pretty sure it’s now water tight again, thanks to Stu.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Founding Member

It was rammed in there Dave, effectively blocking the channel that allows rain water from the roof rail etc to escape.  It was basically a little silicone dam preventing rain water escaping.  This caused a little pool to accumulate and saturate the area causing water ingress on the seam.  

I can hear it chucking down outside so this will be the test to see if it’s now waterproof in the morning when I go to work.  ;)

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Arghhhh. Blooming rain all day, want to get the wax out!  :mellow:

On a positive note, there was little or no water ingress when I got in this morning. Hmm?  

On another positive note, thanks to the rain, at least the rain sensing wipers work a treat. :)

• Like 3

• Founding Member

As a temporary measure, I have stuck a length of black electrical tape along the top of the windscreen.  It’s hardly noticeable, I overlapped about 5mm onto the paint and made sure it stuck properly.  This should stop water entering the top of the windscreen for the time being.  

Just looked outside and it’s snowing.  :o

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 2005-2010 Honda Legend A Pillar Leak! Ooo errr