Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe Rear Fog Lights Modification

Mangoman

• Administrators

We only have one fog, not all is lost as a few people have done the modification, just remember to mirror the active light in terms of ventilation as you will warp the light housing like one member discovered :rolleyes:

IMG_20151106_151214.jpgIMG_20151106_152453.jpg

IMG_20151106_153706.jpg

IMG_20151106_153717.jpg

Just a couple of shots of the last modification I did for somebody ;)

• Like 3

• The title was changed to 98-02 Accord Coupe Rear Fog Lights Modification
  • 5 years later...

Can anyone shed a bit more info on this? When adding the second rear fog light, which cable/wiring are you meant to tap into? I'm guessing it's obviously the factory rear fog on the driver side, but is there any way to avoid feeding wire across the light bar than simply tapping into the factory wiring harness somewhere on the passenger side? 

• Like 1

Wasn't 100% sure on the best way to wire the passenger side, but after no reply, I just thought I would tackle it myself. So obviously the passenger side doesn't have a bulb socket holder, so I had to source and waste money on a corner light just for the socket wiring.

I extended the factory wiring with some 5 amp cables, enough to reach the driver side rear.

IMG20240407144345.jpg

I wanted to keep the wiring colour coded but had to make do with what I had at the time. Factory black/white cable being negative, and the green/yellow being earth.

IMG20240407185701.jpg

As mentioned way above on the thread, drill through the tail light using a big enough drill bit or a hole saw attachment (a circle outline is engraved, where the bulb sits inside, aswell as ventilation holes around the black bulb housing). Any debris from drilling, use an air line, compressed air or a vacuum to get them out. Feed the wire inside the boot lid reaching the other side.

IMG20240407185654.jpg

With the extended wiring reaching the driver side, I used some cable connectors to tap into the factory wiring harness for the driver side rear fog. As shown above, factory black wire is the negative -, and the red/blue being the positive +. 

IMG20240407203703-2.jpg

Finished result.

• Administrators

Sorry for missing this one I strongly recommend you disconnect the extra bulb and wire them both separately on a relay with a new power feed as everyone that's attempted a DIY overloaded the multiplexrer unit or damaged the fuse box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Sorry for missing this one I strongly recommend you disconnect the extra bulb and wire them both separately on a relay with a new power feed as everyone that's attempted a DIY overloaded the multiplexrer unit or damaged the fuse box.

I was in the unknown on this. Not easy finding OEM wiring for the rear fogs. I know it's a bit risky powering it off the original side. Am I right in understanding it's best to wire both of them with 2 relays, one for both sides? Also when you mention the power feed, is that by getting power direct from the fuse box or a different harness within the boot lid? 

• Like 1