Subscriptions & Donations ×

Steve's Legend too expensive to repair ...

SteveThackery

Colleagues!

Sadly I've realised that it's going to be too expensive (compared with the value of the car) to have the starter replaced on my 1996 Legend (I've been quoted £800).  The job involves dismantling the left front suspension to remove the drive shaft, disconnecting the left-side exhaust, disconnecting the front engine mounts and lifting the engine up a bit with a hoist or jack in order to gain access.  It just isn't going to be feasible for me to do it with the lack of space and facilities at my place.

If anyone might be interested in buying it on a "spares or repair" basis, please check out the Classifieds section.

I've been searching for a later Legend (KB1 or KB2) as a replacement, but haven't found a suitable one within my price range with cream leather (a must-have for me) - they are all grey or black interiors.  Therefore I've bought a Lexus LS 430 for the time being, hoping my next car will be a Legend again.

I'm hoping I don't get drummed out of this forum for being a turncoat!  

Steve

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Founding Member

Hi Steve, as you know I’m no mechanic and I can’t believe you have to go through all that palaver to get to the starter motor.  Incredible.  I too am after a Legend KB1 but the ones I’ve spotted are miles away, sold or being sold by crooks.  The LS 430 is a nice motor though.  

I’m in no rush so I’ll wait for the right car to come along although as they only sold 500 ish, it may be a while.  

• Like 3

• Administrators

Sorry to hear about your plight Steve and feel free to plug LS430 as its a fine motor, maybe not as good looking as the legend IMO but still a cracking car. Also, there's another member with LS430 I believe and a few other Lexus owner & fans that frequent the site. ;)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Hi Steve, as you know I’m no mechanic and I can’t believe you have to go through all that palaver to get to the starter motor.  Incredible. 

Unbelievable!

I like the easy access to the starter motor on my cg4!

With the modern trend for stop-start engines, starter motors will get a lot more work than they used to.  I hope they have been suitably uprated and / or accessible!

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Unbelievable!

The 90's Legends had a weird arrangement with the engine & transmission which included a transfer case, all things considered, it's very accessible if you're handy with ratchet extensions. :rolleyes:

1280px-Automotive-diagrams-08-En.png

The Toyota Celsior AKA Lexus LS430 starter can be just as tricky, although last starter job I did on one of these the bolts had snapped off. Also, don't ask about a timing belt on these, never again put it that way. :angry:

1280px-Automotive-diagrams-01-En.png

Now the heavenly coupe arrangement a car made to be maintained and driven easily in all weathers including the snow. :)

1280px-Automotive-diagrams-10-En.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...