Subscriptions & Donations ×

Coupe Interior Light

PTR200S

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Just wanted to know if the interior light that comes on when the door opens is ONLY the central ceiling light unit?

Or is the front ceiling light (map light incorporated) supposed to come on too?

The map lights are switched and don't come on unless they are switched on ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

The map lights are switched and don't come on unless they are switched on ;)

Ok, thanks, just wondered !!:P It would have been nice to have a little more light at the front end when you get in.

I have converted to led anyway so that helps :lol:

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

have converted to led anyway so that helps :lol:

I did wonder if this was related to an LED TBH :P as some LED's I see fitted offer poorer lighting, switching back to a standard bulb is an improvement in my experience unless you're using a very high quality LED...

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, hughezee said:

I did wonder if this was related to an LED TBH :P as some LED's I see fitted offer poorer lighting, switching back to a standard bulb is an improvement in my experience unless you're using a very high quality LED...

No, no problems with led, streets ahead of standard bulb, it's  probably that i have been spoilt by the Tourer that has exceptional interior lights with front and back coming on together. Once that was upgraded with led it was brilliant (ahem!)

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Brett said:

Iv got led in mine and agree with Stu the light output is no better than standard lamps.

Im going to up grade to these leds as the lumin output is fantastic.

http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/interior-leds/14k-gold-led-range/14k-gold-festoon-led/14k-gold-festoon-31mm

Surprised you find it no better using led (i have converted all the family vehicles now)  but I did have directional led in initially, like the ones you have posted, had to bin those and get some with multi led on which gives all round light like the original design.

The biggest improvement was in my van! I can actually read in the cab now!!!:lol:

• Haha 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, PTR200S said:

The biggest improvement was in my van! I can actually read in the cab now!!!:lol:

You're meant to be watching the road, not Sam Fox's t1ts! :lol:

(Alright i know Sam Fox is old hat now but i don't know any of the current ones)

Must admit, i had to stop and think about your original question, on my Volvo the interior light and the map reading lights come one (as well as the door open lights in the ends of the doors) but not on my other two beasties. On them it's just the front and rear courtesy lights, front footwell lights and puddle lights in the doors. Daresay adding a couple of diodes into the front courtesy light would bring the map reading lights on with the main courtesy light and still allow the map lights to be used independently.

Tempting idea adding the diodes though................. ;):D

• Like 1

• Founding Member
6 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Surprised you find it no better using led (i have converted all the family vehicles now)  but I did have directional led in initially, like the ones you have posted, had to bin those and get some with multi led on which gives all round light like the original design.

I think Pete Its a case with mine that there one of the 1st LEDs to come out.

iv had them for 7 years and the new type will be much improved 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Strange you say that Stu, i've got "Cool White" LED interior bulbs in the Volvo (black interior, doesn't come much darker! :o ) and it lookds fine, better IMHO with LEDs as they're brighter and tones down the "morbidity" of the black.

I suppose a coloured LED interior bulb might give the effect you describe, a "Warm White" LED might work better for that? Gives the slightly yellow, "warmer" light of the filament bulbs but with the reliability of LEDs so a good compromise probably. ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

reliability of LEDs

I see your point buddy, mine are still the factory fitted bulbs so no issues regard reliability and will just order ones from Honda when they do give up, especially having no end of fitment problems with LED's and giving things a tap like an old TV or a New car is not reliable IMO. Although I do have a few LED's installed and they have been okay, just my experience overall is not the best one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

I've had a few dodgy LEDs in my time as well. A lot of the trouble comes from the Chinese ones that are simply a standard LED with an added series resistor (current limiting resistor) because they look at the battery and see 12V so work out the resistor value on that.

Using a standard green LED with Vf = 2.2V and If = 20mA (where Vf is forward voltage and If is current for maximum brightness, Imax is maximum possible current) and 12V as the supply voltage (Vss), the formula is :

(Vss - Vf) / If = R in Ohms. As such, (12 - 2.2) / 0.020 = 9.8/0.02 = 490 Ohms. The NPV (Nearest Preferred Value) is 470 or 560 Ohms, either will do on 12V.......... BUT!!!!

With the engine running and the alternator charging, this rises to 14.4V - put that in the equation as Vss and this is what you get :

(Vss - Vf) / R = I = (14.4 - 2.2) / 470 = 0.26A or 26mA

Still not too much of a problem except the Chinese think everything brighter is better so chances are they use a 390 Ohm resistor to run it closer to maximum current on 12V which gives 28mA If at Vss = 12V but 31mA at Vss = 14.4V so passing more current than the poor little LED is designed for! It gets hot, the solder joints to the resisitor start breaking down and it starts flickering or doesn't work at all until it is jiggled/tapped but eventually burns out.

For the record, the LED conversion i did in the Sterling mainly uses 680 Ohms as the limiting resistor, the one exception is the gear shift LEDs which are all 3.0 - 3.6V Vf so have used a 560 Ohms resistor. I haven't had any problems with those but the ones i bought, allegedly for a car have mostly given me problems except the expensive (better quality) ones. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Brett said:

I think Pete Its a case with mine that there one of the 1st LEDs to come out.

iv had them for 7 years and the new type will be much improved 

You could be right! 7 years is a longtime in led tech  !!!!

Anyhoo, would go cool white too although Stu has a fair point re interior colours

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Strange you say that Stu, i've got "Cool White" LED interior bulbs in the Volvo (black interior, doesn't come much darker! :o ) and it lookds fine, better IMHO with LEDs as they're brighter and tones down the "morbidity" of the black.

One here for cool white too :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I've had a few dodgy LEDs in my time as well. A lot of the trouble comes from the Chinese ones that are simply a standard LED with an added series resistor (current limiting resistor) because they look at the battery and see 12V so work out the resistor value on that.

Using a standard green LED with Vf = 2.2V and If = 20mA (where Vf is forward voltage and If is current for maximum brightness, Imax is maximum possible current) and 12V as the supply voltage (Vss), the formula is :

(Vss - Vf) / If = R in Ohms. As such, (12 - 2.2) / 0.020 = 9.8/0.02 = 490 Ohms. The NPV (Nearest Preferred Value) is 470 or 560 Ohms, either will do on 12V.......... BUT!!!!

With the engine running and the alternator charging, this rises to 14.4V - put that in the equation as Vss and this is what you get :

(Vss - Vf) / R = I = (14.4 - 2.2) / 470 = 0.26A or 26mA

Still not too much of a problem except the Chinese think everything brighter is better so chances are they use a 390 Ohm resistor to run it closer to maximum current on 12V which gives 28mA If at Vss = 12V but 31mA at Vss = 14.4V so passing more current than the poor little LED is designed for! It gets hot, the solder joints to the resisitor start breaking down and it starts flickering or doesn't work at all until it is jiggled/tapped but eventually burns out.

For the record, the LED conversion i did in the Sterling mainly uses 680 Ohms as the limiting resistor, the one exception is the gear shift LEDs which are all 3.0 - 3.6V Vf so have used a 560 Ohms resistor. I haven't had any problems with those but the ones i bought, allegedly for a car have mostly given me problems except the expensive (better quality) ones. ;):D

What he said :lol:,,,,, err, I think ! :P too late in day for a headache , Dave !!!

• Like 1